1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How much is a Tom Ford suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LuxeStyles, Aug 20, 2009.

1. academe

academe Senior member

^

I still don't understand why one would buy Tom Ford RTW or MTM when you could get Savile Row, Italian or French bespoke for roughly the same price... [​IMG]

2. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

^

I still don't understand why one would buy Tom Ford RTW or MTM when you could get Savile Row, Italian or French bespoke for roughly the same price... [​IMG]

There's a Savile Row, Italian or French tailor doing Tom Ford-styled suits?

3. academe

academe Senior member

There's a Savile Row, Italian or French tailor doing Tom Ford-styled suits?

Point taken... Part of my antipathy stems from the fact that I don't find Tom Ford-styling all that attractive to my eyes, so wouldn't see the value in paying for a MTM garment when I could have bespoke for an equivalent price. I'm curious to see how some of the younger tailors on and off the Row might interpret Tom Ford-type styling...

4. ridefar

ridefar Active Member

^

I can't speak for anybody but myself, but... I live in Canada, and honestly, none of the options you mention are available here. Heck, from what I can determine there is no bespoke option worth the name available here at all. So, stylistic issues aside, TF MTM is about as good as it gets in Canada. Along with Brioni, Kiton, etc. MTM programs (dont know and havent looked if those are available here at all). Although I would definitely go bespoke if the option were available, it just isnt. And I cant fly to London or Milan three times each time I want to buy a suit. If I lived in NYC, or HK, or anywhere in Europe really, different story. And aside from all that I honestly havent found a better made or better fitting MTM suit--although your results with MTM will vary depending on the quality of the measurements, no?

5. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

Point taken... Part of my antipathy stems from the fact that I don't find Tom Ford-styling all that attractive to my eyes, so wouldn't see the value in paying for a MTM garment when I could have bespoke for an equivalent price. I'm curious to see how some of the younger tailors on and off the Row might interpret Tom Ford-type styling...
    Tom Ford is a lover of Savile Row himself, and apparently has had many bespoke suits made on the Row. So, I don't think he's trying to offer a direct alternative to handmade bespoke right now. It's more about a creating a global image that exudes luxury. It's just like Brioni, Kiton, Zegna, etc., but with but with a younger and more exotic aesthetic. I think there's definitely a place for a brand like Tom Ford: if I had the cash, it would be one of my go-to brands for interesting pieces. It's about time the USA had a brand like this.

6. mjphillips

mjphillips Senior member

You can get Savile Row bespoke for $3500? That's what a two piece Tom Ford OTR costs. I was under impression that top bespoke houses are $5k+

7. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

When do stores in the US start having sales? That is, when do department stores or boutiques that have TF do their next markdowns?

8. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I can't speak for anybody but myself, but... I live in Canada, and honestly, none of the options you mention are available here. Heck, from what I can determine there is no bespoke option worth the name available here at all. So, stylistic issues aside, TF MTM is about as good as it gets in Canada. Along with Brioni, Kiton, etc. MTM programs (dont know and havent looked if those are available here at all). Although I would definitely go bespoke if the option were available, it just isnt. And I cant fly to London or Milan three times each time I want to buy a suit. If I lived in NYC, or HK, or anywhere in Europe really, different story. And aside from all that I honestly havent found a better made or better fitting MTM suit--although your results with MTM will vary depending on the quality of the measurements, no?

Attolini and Kiton MTM is available in Toronto btw.

9. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Attolini and Kiton MTM is available in Toronto btw.

That's true. But now that we're above parity, it would be a much better deal to get it in the US.

10. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I see no logical proof of Tom Ford being lesser quality to other RTW / MTM collections encompassing brands like Kiton, Brioni, so on and so forth. Price wise, TF is quite competitive with those brands and is priced at a similar point - MSRP $4K plus. That you can get Brioni or Kiton on the Bay for less than TF is more an issue of availability / scarcity.

11. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

That's true. But now that we're above parity, it would be a much better deal to get it in the US.

For MTM I am not so sure. OTR is def cheaper in the US, but I think MTM options including Tom Ford are similarly priced.

Anyone who has tried both can chime in.

12. academe

academe Senior member

You can get Savile Row bespoke for $3500? That's what a two piece Tom Ford OTR costs. I was under impression that top bespoke houses are $5k+
    I was referring to the MTM product as being almost the cost of SR bespoke. OTR is closer or more expensive than off-Row tailors (e.g. Mahon, Steed, etc.; typically ~£2K ex-VAT) or Napoli su misura etc.

13. academe

academe Senior member

I see no logical proof of Tom Ford being lesser quality to other RTW / MTM collections encompassing brands like Kiton, Brioni, so on and so forth. Price wise, TF is quite competitive with those brands and is priced at a similar point - MSRP $4K plus. That you can get Brioni or Kiton on the Bay for less than TF is more an issue of availability / scarcity.

Jeffery D has quite a good discussion of Tom Ford OTR construction, quality, etc.:

http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/.../tom-ford.html

14. ridefar

ridefar Active Member

For MTM I am not so sure. OTR is def cheaper in the US, but I think MTM options including Tom Ford are similarly priced.

Anyone who has tried both can chime in.

In Canada, OTR and MTM prices are pretty similar. Actually, it depends on your fabric, but assuming you choose a grade A-D or E fabric, prices will be similar. Things can escalate from there, and the really expensive fabrics are crazy expensive (total cost 2-4x of the lesser grades). Of course, you could only afford or wear lots of those high grade fabrics if you are a rock star--they are typically things like green a white silk paisley prints for jackets or similar foolishness. And even then, only in a sc, not a full suit.

15. Viral

Viral Senior member

Are you saying that you are ready to buy bespoke but aren't pleased with the amount of options to avail?

16. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Tom Ford dinner suits at Harrolds in Melbourne, Australia are $5000.

17. ridefar

ridefar Active Member

Are you saying that you are ready to buy bespoke but aren't pleased with the amount of options to avail?
    Yes. The amount of options = 0. As far as I know in Canada there is absolutely nothing remotely close to Saville Row or the top Milanese tailors. Custom yes (meaning a individually tailored suit, but at a significantly lesser quality). Bespoke no. If I am wrong, please correct me, I would love to hear about it. And I don't particularly care where in Canada because I am in Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, etc. very regularly.

18. Watchguy0

Watchguy0 New Member

My fave feature of TF's suits are the adjustable pants - ala rented tuxedo style. Honestly - for a guy like me that demands the perfect fit in the waist this is one of the greatest features. So, anyone know of another great designer who does the same thing but at a reasonable price? $3500 is too rich for this waist sensitive fashion boi. Thanks

19. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Ralph Lauren Purple Label does this.

20. Tano

Tano Senior member

Kiton MTM is 13k AUD in Perth. They sell alot at that price. But Perth has the highest per capita of self made millionaires in the world ... I've been told.