How much for working buttonholes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rdlrkl, Jul 13, 2010.

1. rdlrkl

rdlrkl Active Member

How much do you think a tailor should charge to shorten cuffs on a jacket and add working button holes (to basted sleeves)? Does $100 seem high?

Thanks

2. acecow

acecow Senior member

How much do you think a tailor should charge to shorten cuffs on a jacket and add working button holes (to basted sleeves)? Does $100 seem high?

Thanks

I had the same question a week ago. Except that my tailor wanted $150 for all of that. How many buttons do you want? I ended up finding another tailor just for the sleeves. He charged $25 for shortening the sleeves and $10 per working button, but I'd rather do the faux button hole with sewed on buttons. Those ended up way cheaper, something like $5-6 per button.

3. otacon

otacon Senior member

I know it isn't comparable, but I got a cheap (in quality, cut, pretty much everything...but it served its purpose) jacket for $30 (might have been half-off) at Urban Behavior with working button-holes. I really wish you could find more jackets like this. It depresses me just a little bit when I find a jacket I like in the store, but the buttons don't work.

4. Lear

Lear Senior member

I did this. Yet still could not attain the utmost round, nor scorn the base degrees from which I did ascend.

Lear

5. rdlrkl

rdlrkl Active Member

I'm not sure Shakespeare faced this issue, but thanks for that anyway.

I did this. Yet still could not attain the utmost round, nor scorn the base degrees from which I did ascend.

Lear

6. Peak and Pine

Peak and Pine Senior member

Assuming this is a style thing with you, over full functioning, you can cut the tailoring cost, perhaps significantly, by having just the button closest to the end made working. And leave that one unbuttoned, etc.

7. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

I know it isn't comparable, but I got a cheap (in quality, cut, pretty much everything...but it served its purpose) jacket for $30 (might have been half-off) at Urban Behavior with working button-holes. I really wish you could find more jackets like this. It depresses me just a little bit when I find a jacket I like in the store, but the buttons don't work.

It's the opposite for me--if I like an RTW jacket, but it has surgeon's cuffs, I put it back. Working buttonholes do nothing for me except to make it more difficult to shorten the sleeves, which I virtually always need. They certainly don't add that bespoke flair any more.

8. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I had the same question a week ago. Except that my tailor wanted $150 for all of that. How many buttons do you want? I ended up finding another tailor just for the sleeves. He charged $25 for shortening the sleeves and $10 per working button, but I'd rather do the faux button hole with sewed on buttons. Those ended up way cheaper, something like $5-6 per button.
    Huh? [​IMG] OP, where are you located? This is a major factor in tailor prices.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

My tailor is crazy expensive and he charges $80 for sleeve length and 8 buttonholes

10. Peak and Pine

Peak and Pine Senior member

...but I'd rather do the faux button hole with sewed on buttons. Those ended up way cheaper, something like $5-6 per button."

Huh? [​IMG]

What is it you don't understand about that?

11. rdlrkl

rdlrkl Active Member

Chicago

Huh? [​IMG]
    OP, where are you located? This is a major factor in tailor prices.

12. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

Chicago

for chicago thats a very reasonable price.

13. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

My tailor is crazy expensive and he charges $80 for sleeve length and 8 buttonholes

i dont think he values his work very much.

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

$100 sounds fair. i pay this much in Miami without sleeve shortening working buttholes however, are both free and priceless at the same time [​IMG]

15. Not Ed Harris

Not Ed Harris Senior member

$100. Bloody hell. I had mine done in London and it was £65 in total along with finishing/taking down the legs on three pairs of trousers. He did a decent job of it too. I think it was £25 or something for the buttonholes, starting from an unfinished Brooks Bros suit.