How Much For a New Polo Suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bigbris1, Dec 12, 2009.

1. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

How much would you or have you paid for the perfect Polo (Corneliani) suit? By perfect I mean staple colors/striped, side vented and no alterations needed except hemming the pants.

2. randob300

randob300 Senior member

I bought a charcoal Polo 90% wool/10% cashmere in mint condition and needed hemming and sleeve shortening (every suit does, for me) for $150. I would have paid a few bucks more because PRL fits me so well and is so versatile (good for interviews/weddings/everything I use a suit for).

3. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

Ignoring the post above, because it's not what you're asking, my limit would be $700, or 50% of retail.

4. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

I've paid about $450 for a solid charcoal Polo II, and that's as much as I'd pay. To pay that price it would have to be a solid, have double vents and forward pleated trousers.

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Not what you're asking, but the SF resale value is in the order of around $300-400, give or take a bit, depending on size and exact colour/details.

6. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Not what you're asking, but the SF resale value is in the order of around $300-400, give or take a bit, depending on size and exact colour/details.
    Right, it's on the higher end for solid navy or charcoal and in-demand sizes e.g. 38R rather than 48L (just to state the obvious). To answer bb's question though I could see $450 to $500 for a solid navy 2 button personally since I have a solid charcoal and a few pattern/stripes already.

7. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Cool, thanks for the input. I asked because I just kopped this one to replace the one I have for sale and the BIN was $395. I guess waiting it out paid as it saved me about $39 and I don't have to wait for cashback.

It was originally listed as center vented which is why I passed it a few times.

8. majesticj

majesticj Active Member

haha i overpaid hilariously for one from my local RL boutique today then [​IMG]

9. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

haha i overpaid hilariously for one from my local RL boutique today then [​IMG]

How much?

10. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Nice deal. I like the Corneliani Polo stuff a lot.

11. randob300

randob300 Senior member

Ignoring the post above, because it's not what you're asking...

I described the suit I purchased (thinking since the OP is asking about Polo suits, he may be interested in details) and further elaborated I only use a suit sparingly. I said I paid $150 and I would have been willing to pay a little more. I don't think it's a terribly difficult leap of logic to assume that is about the most I would be willing to pay.

12. heavyd

heavyd Senior member

complicated question. some are awesome, some not so much.

13. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

I would pay up to $500 for 38R navy flat-front if I needed a suit.

14. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

15. majesticj

majesticj Active Member

How much?

Full retail -- $1350 for the Corneliani in a simple charcoal gray. I had been shopping for ages, and it came down to that or a $1100 Canali that was charcoal gray with a pinstripe -- decided to get the more versatile one first.

I'm cursed to be in the land of little selection. Don't get me started on shoes -- Cole Haan is considered to be top quality around here!