How much fish is too much fish in your diet?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by cheessus, Aug 27, 2009.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

why in the world did God make mercury????? is it just to annoy us other than using it to tell temperatures in a thermometer????

2. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

I've recently realized how much fish I've been consuming each day for the past month. Each day, I eat a can of tuna (at least). I also eat fish tacos/burritos once or twice a week. I also eat sushi once a week. Also when I am cooking, I find myself buying tilapia, blue fish, and salmon over beef, pork, or chicken. Am I paranoid for being concerned about mercury poisoning?

If you're this concerned, you should eat smaller fishes like sardines and anchoivies that don't accumulate the biotoxins that larger fish do as well as giving you the omega-3s that you get from salmon. But, if you still want salmon, try to eat wild salmon because they will have less PCPs in them than farmed salmon.

3. oroy38

oroy38 Senior member

Eat as much fish as you like and stop worrying about silly things like mercury poisoning. My mom was always big on the Mediterranean diet so fish was always a large part of my diet, sometimes we had fish for dinner several days in a row, and tuna sandwiches for lunch, etc etc. Unless you're eating like 50 cans of tuna a day, I think you'll be fine.

4. dmash

dmash Senior member

I eat fish 2-3 times a day everyday for week spurts sometimes. It's not a problem, mercury poisoning is such a wives tale.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

mercury poisoning is such shit science

6. dfan92

dfan92 New Member

mercury poisoning is such shit science

qfa. but really, i eat fish every other day, gotta get that omega-3 somehow

7. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

I've recently realized how much fish I've been consuming each day for the past month. Each day, I eat a can of tuna (at least). I also eat fish tacos/burritos once or twice a week. I also eat sushi once a week. Also when I am cooking, I find myself buying tilapia, blue fish, and salmon over beef, pork, or chicken. Am I paranoid for being concerned about mercury poisoning?

Yes. The mercury warnings are primarily for pregnant women, because the amount of mercury you would ingest by eating substantial portions of larger fish has the potential to cause developmental problems in a fetus. The warnings also apply to small children. Healthy adults have nothing to worry about"”although I still wouldn't eat swordfish every day. (I do eat fish and/or seafood every day of the week.)

8. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

I eat fish practically everyday of the week--usually wild salmon in a salad for lunch. I'm not too concerned about the mercury content, but I try to consciously consume a fair amount of smaller fish as well for their higher concentration of omega-3's. Canned and smoked wild kippers are quite good; brisling is pretty good as well.

9. blahman

blahman Senior member

I stopped worrying about what I eat a long time ago. Its like everything you eat can give you cancer or kill you or something now days. All that fear mongering pisses me off. I just eat whatever I want in moderation.

I see fish as something that is encouraged to be eaten more often rather than something that should be restricted anyway.

10. kiya

kiya Brand Representative Affiliate Vendor

I personally have to eat some meat/fish with almost every meal. I feel that eating a massive amount of fish is still better for your body than eating beef, most pork, duck, etc..

11. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Wow. People worry about this shit? Live your life.

PLUS FUKKING ONE!

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

I eat about a pound of fish a day, usually talapia or flounder. Its not gonna do anything bad to you.

13. thinman

thinman Senior member

For a summary of the science behind the possibility of mercury poisoning from eating fish, rather than just strongly held opinions, see this article: http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...cury-poisoning Look at page 3 and click on the link "exist on a diet of that fish". To synopsize, if you eat certain kinds of fish more than 3 times a week (a 6 oz. serving each time), you may accumulate reportable levels of mercury. Since Jeremy Piven reportedly ate sushi twice a day for years (and took herbal supplements which may have been contaminated by mercury), he may indeed have suffered from mercury poisoning. Piven reportedly had mercury levels 15-20 times higher than these "reportable" levels when he noticed symptoms and was diagnosed. To me, the bottom line seems to be not to each fish with high mercury levels twice a day and/or be very careful with herbal supplements and you'll be safe.

14. CraigAK

CraigAK Member

Good advice basically...

You want to eat smaller fish that do not live as long. Albacore Tuna is the best for Tuna in terms of low mercury.

Tilapia is crap, literally if it is farmed in Asia... Lots of other toxins.

Salmon is great, wild salmon is far better. Farmed at sea salmon is horrible for the environment... So if you must by farmed, look for inland farmed salmon.

I live in Alaska, and fish is my main source of protein. I try to not eat/keep the bigger halibut that I catch for the reason of mercury. But you will be fine, you will piss it out pretty quick, just do not eat high in mercury fish say 3+ days in a row.

15. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

I always wanted to ask a lesbian.