• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how much fabric = one shirt?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
hi all

Just curious, how many yards/metres of cotton does it take to make a dress shirt - say 15.5/33?

thanks

Matt

KevinR

Reaction score
You could email carl (shirtmaven). He sold me some fabric to make a shirt. I know in an old post Alex Kabbaz said for him around 3 yards. After i received the fabric and started laying it out(solid color by the way) I could do it in 2 yards. www.cego.com

MCA

Reaction score
Hi Matt-
For a size 40R and thereabouts, 2 meters is plenty for shirt, spare collar & cuffs and maybe even a boxer, if the pattern is not large.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
36" fabric = 3+ yards
45" fabric = 2 1/2 yards
60" fabric = 2 yards

Up to chest size 50"

spinlps

Reaction score
thanks guys - opinions on this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....MEWA:IT
That appears to be boxed fabric from Ike Behar's CEO line. Basically, retailers would stock fairly unique boxes of fabric (now in plastic pouches). These boxes would include a selection form (neck / sleeve, collar, cuff, stitching, front placket, etc...) which the customer would return to Behar along with the fabric. The finished shirt usually arrived 4 - 6 weeks later. I'd ask the seller if the box and card are included with the fabric. If so, then I think it's a steal at that price. If the card is not included, then I'm not so sure... depends on if a local shirtmaker can make a shirt from your fabric within the original price range. FYI... the CEO program price has risen to $165/shirt. You might double check with Ike Behar if they'll honor the older $145 fabrics like this one.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Decent looking royal oxford, but unless it's a really high thread count, I can't imagine that less than three yards could justify a sticker price of $145.

Alex ...?

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wholesale that piece is worth maybe $20. Doesn't look European to me. I was wondering how they justfied the $145. Throw in basic RTW and it is a decent value.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
thanks guys, will definitely keep an eye on it....

Doesn't look European to me.

Alex, how does European fabric look? What differences would one look for to distinguish? Where would this be made instead?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads