1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

how much fabric = one shirt?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Matt, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Matt

Matt Senior member

hi all

Just curious, how many yards/metres of cotton does it take to make a dress shirt - say 15.5/33?

thanks

Matt

2. KevinR

KevinR Well-Known Member

You could email carl (shirtmaven). He sold me some fabric to make a shirt. I know in an old post Alex Kabbaz said for him around 3 yards. After i received the fabric and started laying it out(solid color by the way) I could do it in 2 yards. www.cego.com

3. MCA

MCA Well-Known Member

Hi Matt-
    For a size 40R and thereabouts, 2 meters is plenty for shirt, spare collar & cuffs and maybe even a boxer, if the pattern is not large.

4. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

36" fabric = 3+ yards
    45" fabric = 2 1/2 yards
    60" fabric = 2 yards

Up to chest size 50"

5. Matt

Matt Senior member

6. spinlps

spinlps Well-Known Member

That appears to be boxed fabric from Ike Behar's CEO line. Basically, retailers would stock fairly unique boxes of fabric (now in plastic pouches). These boxes would include a selection form (neck / sleeve, collar, cuff, stitching, front placket, etc...) which the customer would return to Behar along with the fabric. The finished shirt usually arrived 4 - 6 weeks later. I'd ask the seller if the box and card are included with the fabric. If so, then I think it's a steal at that price. If the card is not included, then I'm not so sure... depends on if a local shirtmaker can make a shirt from your fabric within the original price range. FYI... the CEO program price has risen to $165/shirt. You might double check with Ike Behar if they'll honor the older $145 fabrics like this one.

7. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Decent looking royal oxford, but unless it's a really high thread count, I can't imagine that less than three yards could justify a sticker price of $145.

Alex ...?

8. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Wholesale that piece is worth maybe $20. Doesn't look European to me. I was wondering how they justfied the $145. Throw in basic RTW and it is a decent value.

9. Matt

Matt Senior member

thanks guys, will definitely keep an eye on it....

Alex, how does European fabric look? What differences would one look for to distinguish? Where would this be made instead?