• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much fabric for a suit?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried searching the archives, but the only reference I could find was one in passing that said:

4.5 yards for a suit (+0.5 yards if pattern matching with a larger pattern)
1.5 yards for trousers
2.75 yards for a jacket

Can anyone confirm that as correct?  I'm about a 40S if that matters.

dan

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
4.5 is a lot for a two-piece suit for a 40 short. You could get away with much less.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
presuming you are talking about single breasted suits, 3.5 meters gives me a little left over for good measure and I am a size 41.

At 40S, 4.5 yards (thats about 4.1 metres, right?) could go pretty close to getting you a second pair of pants or a waistcoat.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
4.5 will easily get you a vest. Not sure about a second pair of trousers, however.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
...depends on just how short a 40S he is...

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...depends on just how short a 40S he is...
smile.gif
Thanks for your replies. Â Can you give me any kind of breakdown between jacket and trousers or is the one above accurate? Â That's actually the info I need as I'm looking more for sport coats and odd trousers than suits. dan

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
tailor tells me 2 and a bit for my jacket, 1.3 for the pants, 15-20 cm for good measure = 3.5

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about a US 52 coat?

Following flussers advice about "the larger the man, the larger the pattern", I want to get a large windowpane or glen plaid or evebn POW pattern. As I get my stuff from a Hong Kong tailor, I wanted to see more of the cloth than just a swatch, as well as time to fuss over the pattern.

How much cloth should I bring with me for a two piece and two trousers?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess being short and slim counts for something in life, because I can easily get a jacket and two trousers out of 4.5 yards.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get a jacket and two pairs of trousers out of 4.5 yards, not meters? There's a 15-inch difference, there.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, he said yards. He even wrote it down on a little piece of paper. Surprised me, because he usually measured things in centimeters during fittings. He could either be confusing the two (English is not his first language) or he could be using the English and metric systems interchangeably.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
What about a US 52 coat?

Following flussers advice about "the larger the man, the larger the pattern", I want to get a large windowpane or glen plaid or evebn POW pattern. As I get my stuff from a Hong Kong tailor, I wanted to see more of the cloth than just a swatch, as well as time to fuss over the pattern.

How much cloth should I bring with me for a two piece and two trousers?
i dont know what the answer is to this, but just wanted to point out that with a check or plaid, you will have to factor in pattern matching.

the numbers given above (certainly in my posts) are based on plain cloth or pin stripes, where you get less issues with matching patterns, but the horizontals on your suit will likely blow the numbers out.

How much - I have no idea - but do take this into account with whatever quote you get.

Matt

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about a US 52 coat?
Ravis tailor has a cloth requirement table on their webpage for CMT orders. Â Obviously, different tailors' requirements may vary, but it should give you a ballpark estimate. Â Go to www.ravistailor.com, select the "CMT orders" link along the left side of the page and then select the "instructions outlined at this link" link in the paragraph at the top of the page. dan

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard 3.6 yards for plain fabric to 3.75 for moderate pattern matching. 5.5 yards gets you a jacket with two trousers. BTW 42R, 5'10 tall 190 lbs or so I would like to believe.

Getting a two piece out of 3.5 yards, thats what I would like more info on.

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads