• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much does the box spring matter?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting an apartment in LA... it comes furnished. Don't know how great the mattress will be so I might buy one that I already have one of in Chicago from Ritz Carlton because I like those. Would you recommend that I replace the entire bed or would just the mattress be fine?

Building is brand new and I'd be the first occupant in that apartment but a proper mattress is really important to me. Willing to buy the whole set but I don't know how important box spring is. Thanks guys

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A Box spring is a Box spring is a Box spring. I've never seen one that was markedly better than any others.

Now, Box spring vs. Platform bed would be a different story.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer my platform bed over box-springs.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Please tell me you aren't moving to the ******* Orsini or something.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
I prefer my platform bed over box-springs.

My bed was designed to use wood platform slats, but I still bought a boxspring. Someone I know had purchased the same bed frame and stated that with nocturnal, morning, midday or evening activities the wood slats tend to warp. So far after 7 months the box spring is still going strong.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
Please tell me you aren't moving to the ******* Orsini or something.

No, I did look there though. Renting very close to Orsini/Piero though for a year until I decide if I can/want to buy.

Ideally want loft in theater/fashion district.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I'd recommend against loft living here but I assume you know what you want.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if your furnishings at your bldg are brand new, but check carefully for bed bugs before you move your stuff in . Lots of youtube vids on the procedure.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
I don't know if your furnishings at your bldg are brand new, but check carefully for bed bugs before you move your stuff in . Lots of youtube vids on the procedure.

Building is brand new.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
I'd recommend against loft living here but I assume you know what you want.

Why? I'm operating on the assumption that downtown is going to improve. I also like being able to walk around aimlessly, which I feel like you can't do in a lot of LA.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Building is brand new.

bed/boxspring may not be...

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
bed/boxspring may not be...

Well I think that settles it..

But no, I really think that it would be at this price point.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you can afford it, go all new. What will the apt complex say if you dump a bed? Will they just place into another apt. Personally, I would go new.....

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Why? I'm operating on the assumption that downtown is going to improve. I also like being able to walk around aimlessly, which I feel like you can't do in a lot of LA.

I lived in a really raw, enormous loft across from Staples Center for a minute in 2005. Girlfriend lived in the Brewery Complex for years, and plenty of friends have lived or do live in lofts all over the Downtown area. Size wise, these older spaces are incredible. Between 1400-3500 square feet, 30 foot ceilings, sometimes higher. Many friends would partition their spaces into multiple floors and rooms. The guys who lived in mine before me had built a second story in two rooms with a staircase up to the skylight for roof access, where they had built a small deck. Those spaces were also much less polished than the newer ones, which to me at least was one of the appeals of a loft. Of course the amenities sucked, homeless guys would break into your car, you had to bring your own fixtures, never a good temperature, but they cost nothing.

The newer lofts I've seen end up looking more like unfinished apartments. They're usually less than a quarter of the size for twice the price. You get a nice stove and a/c perhaps, and maybe a shallow pool on the roof, but the lease would prevent you from doing anything interesting to them, and if you buy, they're too small or too polished to do anything anyways. Large spaces exist in the newer loft buildings, but the price is often insanity. Los Angeles's charm is in it's houses, especially the Modern, Craftsman and bungalow ones. Having lived all over the city I really think a house in an old neighborhood is the way to go. And you can probably get a pretty nice one for the price of a loft. Just my thoughts.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
People have been talking about downtown LA improving since before my father was born there, which was in '32.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads