• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How much does it cost to put rubber sole protectors on your shoe?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I met an old and very good local cobbler who charges $45 to put very good Pirelli rubber sole protectors on shoes. Might I take a quick survey how much this service usually costs?

Leslierc

Reaction score
I have "sole savers" and heel plates on all of my dress shoes. I had this treatment done on a pair of Ferragamos two weeks ago; cost for everything was $28.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that by far the most common sole protector is the Topy. Here, they cost $25 - $30 (US) to have installed.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Isn't this basically gluing rubber onto leather? Seems kind of... classless. I'd rather the shoe have a rubber tap to begin with. Tell me if I'm missing something here, I'm ignorant in all matters footwear if not for SF.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guy charges $30.

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds about right. IIRC, the cobbler in Davis Sq charged me about 40-50 to put rubber soles on my boots a while back. He's very good thorough though.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Isn't this basically gluing rubber onto leather? Seems kind of... classless. I'd rather the shoe have a rubber tap to begin with. Tell me if I'm missing something here, I'm ignorant in all matters footwear if not for SF.

This covers almost the entire sole, and is good for grip and keeps you from having to have the shoes re-soled because it preserves the leather.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been told by a shoemaker that Topys and the like prevent the leather soles from breathing and are ultimately harmful to the shoes. Re-soling can be expensive but is a good chance for the shoemaker/factory to rejuvenate the shoes by not only replacing the soles but also re-lasting them.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
I've been told by a shoemaker that Topys and the like prevent the leather soles from breathing and are ultimately harmful to the shoes. Re-soling can be expensive but is a good chance for the shoemaker/factory to rejuvenate the shoes by not only replacing the soles but also re-lasting them.
What does it cost to re-sole a leather shoe?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost as much as buying a new pair.

Whoopee, could you explain further? I've never understood how a leather sole is supposed to breathe and why this is a big issue considering it's usually flat against the floor. The sight of a worn down leather sole is disturbing, I suppose.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For Edward Green to re-craft the shoe will cost a US-based customer about $300 including shipping. The results are excellent; much more than a re-soling. It sounds like a large expense, and it is, but I would not hesitate to take that option with my more treasured shoes. For less expensive shoes like Crockett & Jones shoes, where the cost of re-crafting by the factory is close to a new pair, once the soles get worn down, I'll buy new ones. It usually is a once in a few/several year occurence anyway, given a reasonably sized shoe rotation and proper care. If I wanted to preserve my soles and stay dry in nasty weather I'd prefer rubber soles over Topys. To be honest I don't think rubber protectors are really that bad, and only a real abuser of shoes or disjointed shoe nut will see a significant difference between the two, both in terms of wear and looks. I don't like them, and all the better for me to have heard that they aren't best for shoes.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
I've been told by a shoemaker that Topys and the like prevent the leather soles from breathing and are ultimately harmful to the shoes.

My shoemaker rolled his eyes and laughed when I inquired about the need for leather soles to breath.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that my feet stay drier in warm days in leather soles than in rubber soles.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. The figures reported in the how often do you have to reheel, etc. threads scared me though. But how is it exactly destructive to the shoe?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 275 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40