• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much does an entry level finance guy REALLY make?

CushyCouture

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I know someone who was a first year at Goldman, with only a bacheleors from an Ivy League make six figures. However, looking at glassdoor.com the average salary for an analyst is only like 64k! Isn't that poverty level for New York City?!

Anyways, I also saw a video once of this presumed entry level finance guy at a VIP table with a 6 at best laughing to himself and saying "models and bottles". Was this guy really making enough money to sit at that table in Manhattan and ordering probably $300 dollar bottles of grey goose? Or was he just an idiotic douchebag who thought 60 some thousand was a lot in Manhattan? I'm leaning towards the latter looking at the girl he considered a "model" on his arm.

Or do both exist and the standard deviation of the salaries is just really high?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your friend at Goldman is most likely an Investment Banking Analyst. These guys do make six figures after bonus -- $70K base + $40K bonus (probably top bracket in today's environment).

violethour1951

Reaction score
GreenFrog's numbers sound right; however, my friend who's in IBD calculated his hourly wage after his first year (including bonus) and he was making only about $25/hr...

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
depends entirely what area in finance, what firm, and how good you are (or rather how many hours you are willing to kill yourself).

Our first year salaries were below 100k, but with bonus it exceeded that figure.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyways, I also saw a video once of this presumed entry level finance guy at a VIP table with a 6 at best laughing to himself and saying "models and bottles".  Was this guy really making enough money to sit at that table in Manhattan and ordering probably $300 dollar bottles of grey goose?

I died at this. It's more irony, if anything, but some IB guys are serious about that life.

Friend of mine made 30k bonus last year. Street entry level is 60-70k.

ac21686

Reaction score
Are you referring to the video with that guy AJ ? Pretty sure he was outed as working in the back-office in operations and wasn't even a banker. Absolutely nothing wrong with being in operations, but he's definitely that guy at the bar who pretends otherwise and makes sure all the girls know he works at a BB.

Last edited:

CushyCouture

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Are you referring to the video with that guy AJ ? Pretty sure he was outed as working in the back-office in operations and wasn't even a banker. Absolutely nothing wrong with being in operations, but he's definitely that guy at the bar who pretends otherwise makes sure all the girls know he works at a BB.

LOL. "Hey baby, do you want to know where I work? Just a little place called JP Morgan.....

as a teller at Chase....

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you referring to the video with that guy AJ ? Pretty sure he was outed as working in the back-office in operations and wasn't even a banker. Absolutely nothing wrong with being in operations, but he's definitely that guy at the bar who pretends otherwise makes sure all the girls know he works at a BB.

You can't just mention the video and not post it. Come on, man.

CushyCouture

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hilarious. The girls aren't cute and the club looks empty.

sns23

Reaction score
lol. His "hot" ride was a Porsche Boxster.

CushyCouture

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Your friend at Goldman is most likely an Investment Banking Analyst. These guys do make six figures after bonus -- $70K base + $40K bonus (probably top bracket in today's environment).

Are bonuses in finance really easy to come by or something? We get bonuses in tech too but noone I know includes that because it depends on several factors like stock performance, peer/management review, milestones accomplished, etc.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that can't be serious lol.

Nobody whose making any real money is bragging about porsche boxsters, a few overpriced bottles/cocktails or those chicks.

This guy is a colossal tool

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads