How much does an entry level finance guy REALLY make?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by CushyCouture, Oct 22, 2012.

1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

The bonus has historically been the bulk of compensation in front office IB, well more than half of your annual take home after a year or two. During the good years, these bonuses were effectively guaranteed, and could basically be seen as a lump sum salary payment at the end of the year, with all but the worst performers getting them--if you didn't get one, it was a not-so-subtle way of telling you that you didn't need to be working there anymore. Certainly the numbers vary--most places use some bucketing scheme--but just about everyone in the front office gets them. They are still a huge chunk of compensation, but much lower than they were a few years ago, with some places giving out the goose egg (or very close thereto).

IMO though, not worth it at all. The comment about "hourly wage" is correct. 100+ hour weeks, every week, are absolutely the norm.

2. chogall

chogall Senior member

64k isn't really poverty since you will have no time to spend those money.

that video looks homemade and that guy is a tool.

standard deviation of salary is low for entry levels but bonus/total comp is very high.

3. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

gawd I have heard that saying too many times lol.

The figures for your friend sound right, especially since he went to a target school. I have a friend that made 6 figures right after graduation, like frog said probably iBanking.

any follow up story? At least he isn't as bad as the pocket square jew jetter. I know a personal banker at chase bank who considers himself a banker, from everyone I know that works in finance/accounting they do not consider most of those guys bankers.

I noticed the car too and thought the same thing. Black undershirt and the suit looks terrible, gtfo. Even the old overweight balding IB guys look better than him.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

4. CushyCouture

CushyCouture Well-Known Member

Oh. Were you exaggerating on over 100 hours being the norm? That's like twice the number of hours I work a week! I heard it was 80 hours a week for ibanking.

Anyway, does anybody know what happened to this AJ guy? I read he lost his job. I wonder what he's doing now lol, probably still "balling" with that same boxster.

5. sns23

sns23 Senior member

A lot of people in those types of industries (ibanking big law) like to exaggerate numbers. They think the number is a "badge of honor." All it truly means is that they are not very efficient with time.

6. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I wouldn't go that far, but maybe I missing something.

7. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

Is that even a club, or his garage? i never been to such an empty quiet club ever.

you could get a used boxster with 50k miles for like ~12k

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

This. People love to brag about how many hours they worked.

9. rockket

rockket Senior member

hours typically range from 60-90 per week. volume is very rarely a reflection of an analyst's efficiency (though perhaps that of his superiors). there is a decent amount of downtime throughout the day due the nature of the job.

comp is between $120-150 for 1st years at good bulge brackets/comparable boutiques.

lifestyle is unsustainable in the long run, but this is a 2 year gig for most.

95% sure the guy in that video isn't in IB.

10. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

to some degree maybe, 80 is probably about average, but 100 hour weeks are not at all unheard of.

Thats a fairly new boxster (987). Still, maybe $40k, if that. Hardly anything to brag about.

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

having a car and living in NYC is the epitome of waste.

of coures, that guy probably lives in NJ.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Oh god. I always knew "bottle service" was douchey but just did not know how douchey. So glad that was a fad that got invented after my time.

13. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

meh i work on buyside and have a 40 hour week, but sometimes i wish i was an ibanker. 120k first year, 150k second year, but by associate you are making 250k+ in your 3rd year.

if you are a true finance guy (ie you spend 95% of your time thinking about money and how to make more of it) the "80 hr work week is unsustainable" is only a way for you to justify your decision to take a much lower paying job

edit: that models and bottles video was so cringeworthy

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

14. CushyCouture

CushyCouture Well-Known Member

I doubt 250k your 3rd year is the norm in ibanking. I've never even HEARD of any third year making that much. If a 3rd year is making 250k, how much is his boss with 10+ years experience making? C'mon.

15. newinny

newinny Senior member

3rd year associates made 250k +/- 50k total comp last year. 125k base plus 125k bonus.