• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much $$$ do you/would you spend on clothes items

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am always accused by my freinds and family of waaaaay overspending on my clothing. I wonder what people here generally spend and how far would you go if you had the funds.

Lets stick with the basics.

suit, shirt, tie, shoes, sc, trousers.

No poll too many variables.

I am faaaaar from being even remotely rich and I don't buy often. When I save up these are my usual price points I can get away with without going for broke. I am happy to find a deal but I don't hunt them down, so when one is not readily available here is what I would spend.

For me a suit (not MTM or Bespoke-that is special occasion only) nowadays $900-$1500 would be regular. Shirts, something nice $150+, something just to fill up the closet $50-$80, usually BB on sale. Shoes $400ish (special occasion I think maybe $1200+/-, but I never have to date) . Ties $75 to $100ish. SC and trousers I rarely purchase.

If I had the money I would have no qualms going completely nuts. You imagine it I would do it.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit...usual, $600-$800....once in a great while, probably up to $1500
Shirts...I don't mind the cheaper ones...about $40-$80 a shirt
Ties...typically about $50-$75, with the occasional $100+
Shoes...average about $350-$400, with the very rare $700+

Don't really do sport coats, nor spare trousers.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
I am always accused by my freinds and family of waaaaay overspending on my clothing. I wonder what people here generally spend and how far would you go if you had the funds.

I never tell family or friends how much I pay for items.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I never tell family or friends how much I pay for items.

a good policy, that i have recently adopted, especially for the wife. but they all still know its too much in their opinion.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
Suits - $5k. Thats just what top bespoke is, and I dont see it going down any time soon.

Shirts - $120-$150. CEGO. I think paying any more for a shirt is a complete waste since its only a matter of time until it gets ruined by the drycleaner.

Ties - $100. Sam Hober at $80 is a good deal.

SC - Maybe $400, tops. I just dont have the same bespoke itch for SC as I do for suits. Buying a SC for me is a lot about finding a huge discount for an off season item.

PookieBear

Reaction score
IN stitches--what kind of shoes do you get for $400? I can't find anything between AE and Alden.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes - $300 to $600 (yup usual name brand crap), occasional $1K plus for a really decent pair.

Boots - $700+ (usually over $1K). I do love my boots but I buy such good ones I do not need a new pair every year.

Ties - Under $50 usually, occasional > $100 if I see one I really like.

Shirts - Under $150 usually, occasional shirt would go up to $300 or $400. I am not so interested in name brands here, Brooks Brothers, Dunhill, Turnbull, Eton and Ralph Lauren serve me well and thats just about all I ever buy. Occasionally punt at more top end shirts by likes of Charvet, Kiton etc once in a blue moon on provision I love the shirt 10/10. Robert Graham is my eccentricity, shirts are not such good quality but I do like the designs hence usually buy a few a year at $150+ each. Etro are another eccentric label I spend money I should not on - I probably buy at least 4 to 5 Etro shirts a year - again am a sucker for their designs rather than quality.

Pants - Under $200 usually. Again, Ralph Lauren serves me well. Brooks Brothers for casual pants, and the occasional name brand pair gets purchased when I am in the mood for something different.

Sport Coats - I break the bank on these. I can easily spend $2K on one. Also I dont mind spending $100 - $400 on lower end or second hand ones - I am cool, I love blazers and sports coats more than any other clothing.

Suits - Up to $2K for RTW, up to $5K for Bespoke. But I rarely purchase suits, prefering the smart casual Sport Coat and Chinos for work. I buy a new suit only to replace an older bust up one.

Pocket squares - I usually get my wife to make them for me I dont see any point in paying a premium for them considering it is just a rectangle of material. On very rare occasions, a pocket square such as one by Tom Ford or Hermes may be added to my list of apparel.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PookieBear
IN stitches--what kind of shoes do you get for $400? I can't find anything between AE and Alden.

400ish means + or -, i guess that was more of an avg. sorry. i used to get ferragamo they were more in the 300 range, recently got some zegna coutures from ehaberdasher got a good deal they were 415 i think. but you can get C&J, AS and others from places like pediware.co.uk in the 400 range all day. good luck

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I buy everything used.
laugh.gif
Seriously though,

I never talk about clothes outside of here.

alphaO888

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
I buy everything used.
laugh.gif
Seriously though, I never talk about clothes outside of here.

Me neither... I never got into buying things used.. something gives me the creeps about buying someone else's garments and shoes second hand. Plus I have no idea how the members above are willing to pay over a thousand dollars for a pair of shoes yet they're still willing to wear second hand sport coats, let alone pants. -Shoes I'm willing to pay upto $1500 a pair - I've never gone bespoke -I own only 3 or 4 suits all between 750-1500 and I almost never wear them since I dress business "casual" (shirt and tie) for work - I own one sport coat/blazer that I paid 300 for that I've worn exactly twice - Ties I will pay 115-200 for and am currently only willing to buy Tom Ford because their quality just blows Hermes and Ferragamo out of the water -Slacks I usually pay 100-150 and stick to Brooks Brothers or Boss -Shirts MTM via Mytailor and around 150 per shirt - Outwear like coats and leathers (plenty of those) I will pay anything upto 3500. Most for your money here as they last much longer than any of the above items. -Sweaters upto 500-750 as they are a key staple. T-shirt and jeans for the weekend - sometimes even sweatpants...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
lemme guess Spoo, you just hold them for the next generation/ebayer?

Featured Sponsor

What is the most important handwork to have on a shirt?

• Hand attached collar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Handsewn button holes

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Hand finish on yolk and shoulders

Votes: 20 37.7%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benocarrental