1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How much do you work?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by norcaltransplant, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Resident (IM).

Just got home from my last day of 12 straight. Thankfully have tomorrow off. Those 12 days included 2 overnights of 30+ hours (supposed to be capped at 30 but sometimes go over by an hour or two). My "regular" days are 12-14 hours long.

2. ImaPro

ImaPro Senior member

Not much right now, Im still studying and my school pays my eduction so its all good.

3. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

80-90 hours / week. And of the last 54 days I've worked 52 of them.

4. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

I used to work 100+ hour weeks, when I did campaign work. 8am-Midnight was a standard weekday, 10am-midnight was standard on weekends.

It's an interesting experience, but only tolerable frankly because you know that it's coming to an end at a defined time -- election day.

Working at political orgs was pretty much 9-5, until election season when it became more like 70-hour weeks.

Now I work for a political tech startup, and I make my own hours at home.

I used to do the who-has-the-bigger-work-dick thing, but it's definitely not worth the actual hours.

5. MrG

MrG Senior member

Magoo, a former colleague of mine recently left the political world (his last stint was in fundraising) to become a development guy at a local non-profit. He loves it. Like you said, tons of women, great hours.

I was thisclose to pursuing a development career coming out of grad school. I even had a contact in my college's development office, and one of my specializations was NPO management. Perhaps unfortunately, I didn't really go after a job, but I do keep an eye out for positions in the field. It always seemed interesting to me, and I would probably consider a position if I happened upon one.

6. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

I call bullshit on most of these guys in this thread.

dont go getting all "Woe is me! I work 100 hours a week! 8 days a week!" when you have more than 1,000 posts on SF.

The residents and doctors in this thread are quotting actual number of hours in the hospital. As far as downtime during the day, I had far more time as a resident. I was guaranteed at least an hour or two of instructional time that didn't involve me running around like a crazy man. More importantly, I got to eat. To maintain less than a 10 hour weekday usually involves forgoing any type of meal, 1 scheduled bathroom break, and power walking stairs.

Posting on SF is nice intellectual break that I usually reserve for the lag my billing takes, or, when I'm at home. Even the banter on SF is more intellectual than the crap coming from the TV.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I was thisclose to pursuing a development career coming out of grad school. I even had a contact in my college's development office, and one of my specializations was NPO management. Perhaps unfortunately, I didn't really go after a job, but I do keep an eye out for positions in the field. It always seemed interesting to me, and I would probably consider a position if I happened upon one.

These are not 9-5 jobs (but then again, what really well paying jobs are?) and you really need to be a self-starter. If you want an eye opener, pull the 990s on any local non-profit with a budget >$10 million and development revenues > $1.2 million or so. You'll find the head development person will being making 110k or more. Get into the big leagues, like say chief development officer for a large university, and you're talking 500k or more. With a big university, they'll have dozens of specialized folks, like say "major gifts, college of medicine," and they'll all be making 120-180k.

8. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Most private practice IM attendings I know either work less hours and are paid significantly less, or have crazy busy schedules. NY has to be one of the worst states to practice medicine.

Yes NYC is very competitive. I think the opportunities get better the farther away you get from NYC. I've spoken with various attendings in the SF Bay area and that area sounds even more competitive than NYC.

OTOH I suspect the subset of well established docs in NYC who only take cash (no 3rd party payers) can do very well. I was recently looking for a physician for myself and all the ones recommended to me by friends don't accept insurance.

I worked from December 26 to March 15 without a day off.
    Part of my job right now.
    My typical day involves getting to work about 6 in the morning and leaving about 8-9 at night except for the weekends which just involve mostly morning work and the odd occasional trip back to work to deal with problems.
    This schedule will not be permanent.

Are you the only CTSurg in your area? Your schedule sounds like it was from back in the days of solo practice.

9. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Senior member

These are not 9-5 jobs (but then again, what really well paying jobs are?) and you really need to be a self-starter. If you want an eye opener, pull the 990s on any local non-profit with a budget >$10 million and development revenues > $1.2 million or so. You'll find the head development person will being making 110k or more. Get into the big leagues, like say chief development officer for a large university, and you're talking 500k or more. With a big university, they'll have dozens of specialized folks, like say "major gifts, college of medicine," and they'll all be making 120-180k.

Hours and pay depends who you are in the organization, of course.

Re: hours -- my wife was making about $75k for a well-heeled but low-paying private school as the "head" of prospect research. (She was the only prospect researcher.) She worked less than 9-5. Her best friend was making closer to $100k, and she was not working 9-5 either -- part-time now. Their boss was probably pulling in $150k - $200k. She worked longer hours, but not much more than 9-5. Probably 50-60 hour weeks, but that includes a lot of meetings and schmoozing with donors (i.e., socializing with the wealthy). The boss had, of course, a lot more accountability.

Re: self-starting -- not especially. It's a hierarchy so someone will tell you what to do, although of course you must know your job and do it. If you know the profession, then, yes, sometimes you must figure things out on your own, but it's not like being an entrepreneur or trader.

10. tonie

tonie New Member

As standard, I do 8.5 hours Mon-Fri with an hour+ travelling on either side. Thereafter I also write press releases and sell them onto other companies (such as Cavendish) and make some extra cash that way.

So you can say I work 7 days [​IMG]

11. MrG

MrG Senior member

Hours and pay depends who you are in the organization, of course.

Re: hours -- my wife was making about $75k for a well-heeled but low-paying private school as the "head" of prospect research. (She was the only prospect researcher.) She worked less than 9-5. Her best friend was making closer to $100k, and she was not working 9-5 either -- part-time now. Their boss was probably pulling in $150k - $200k. She worked longer hours, but not much more than 9-5. Probably 50-60 hour weeks, but that includes a lot of meetings and schmoozing with donors (i.e., socializing with the wealthy). The boss had, of course, a lot more accountability.

Re: self-starting -- not especially. It's a hierarchy so someone will tell you what to do, although of course you must know your job and do it. If you know the profession, then, yes, sometimes you must figure things out on your own, but it's not like being an entrepreneur or trader.

Man, I was just looking over the job listings at the local university, and I came upon a development position. After reading both of your posts, I'm sorely tempted to apply.

12. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

Usually ~7:30am - 11:30pm Mon - Thurs, until 8pm on Friday and maybe 8hrs total on weekends...so like 80-85?

13. Kookz

Kookz Senior member

12-16 hours a day, 7 days a week, 6-12 weeks at a time. Got to love the oilfield!

14. Eponym

Eponym Well-Known Member

Attorney. I usually range between 55-70 hours per week.

15. Faded501s

Faded501s Senior member

I work 12-16 hrs a day, 7 days a week, sometimes for 3 or 4 months straight. My weekends are usually 6-8 months though. Work hard, play hard...I completely lost all tolerance for the daily grind in my late 20's.

16. mrhills0146

mrhills0146 Well-Known Member

Corporate finance for a Fortune 20, with occasional project management. Probably average 60 hour weeks. It comes in waves - occasionally more, occasionally less, but on the main, average is about 60.

17. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I'll work a couple of 80 hour weeks and then go a month at maybe 10 hours a week.
    Don't mind that at all in the summer when the lakes are so close by.

18. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance Senior member

I'll work a couple of 80 hour weeks and then go a month at maybe 10 hours a week.
    Don't mind that at all in the summer when the lakes are so close by.

Interesting..What industry are you in?

19. Eason

Eason Senior member

Is this a dick-measuring contest? I'm going to be honest and say:

Normally (no hundreds of midterms, finals, or essays to grade)
    Sunday: 3-4 hours in the evening to prepare
    Monday: 10am-4pm
    Tuesday: 2pm-6pm
    Wednesday: 7am-11am (with some meetings from 2-4 every couple weeks)
    Thusday: 8am-5pm
    Friday: 7am-3pm

Now, when I AM grading, that's another 10-15 hours a week, and I'll very often work 7am-7pm. I have 600 essays to grade, plus 150 midterms w/ essays, and 150 finals w/ essays each term. So it's maybe 2 weeks without much grading, then 2 weeks on in a gradin bingen and so on.