1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How much do you work?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by norcaltransplant, Mar 11, 2011.

1. gort

gort Distinguished Member

Pretty much standard 40hrs/week with the occasional big deadline that might require working extra here and there.

2. deadly7

deadly7 Distinguished Member

I just finished my 11th straight day of work. I've also been working a lot weekends. I personally don't mind my hours, averaging between 10-14 on the weekdays, and 6-8 on the weekends, though I'm tired as hell once I get home. This is apparently detrimental to my relationship. My girlfriend was pretty pissed when I gave the "sleepy face" about going out to karaoke.

So, is this really a problem? How much does everyone work on average? Money causes a lot of anxiety for me, so I'd rather work and try to save or pay down debt as much as possible. FWIW, this is the perspective of a thirty year-old and not some recent college grad.

Are you a fellow or something right now? I haven't heard many people identify themselves solely as internists.

3. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

My first year, 100+ hour a week, now it's more like 60 and on weekends.

4. calisanfran

calisanfran Distinguished Member

Used to work 80 hours a week in my previous job at an MC firm. Did it for three years. Money was good but it was worthless...I'd get back home around 11pm - midnight on an average. There would be barely any cars on the freeway when I would be driving back home; the housing complex that I lived in would be pitch dark - everyone's lights would be out when my car turned into the parking lot. Wifey would be asleep / retired to bed. Funny incident...an old neighbor of ours once asked my wife whether I worked night shifts - cause he would never actually see me. Jump out of the bed at 6am and start the whole routine again.

Thankfully those days are behind me. I average ~45 hours these days. Money is good enough and I get to spend a lot of time with family. Couldn't be more satisfied.

5. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Distinguished Member

I'm a grad student on an assistantship so my life is a bit different. Mondays and wednesdays I'm up at school 9-7. Depending upon my workload that can go up to Tuesdays, thursdays, fridays it's 8-530/6. During that time I am either in class, grading, teaching, doing homework, doing research, or in meetings for various things related to teaching and/or research. Often I get home and work 10-2 during week days and sometimes do two more 10+hour days on the weekend. I feel your pain on the weeks on end without stop bit.

Officially though, I only work 20 hours.

6. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

I'm a grad student on an assistantship so my life is a bit different. Mondays and wednesdays I'm up at school 9-7. Depending upon my workload that can go up to Tuesdays, thursdays, fridays it's 8-530/6. During that time I am either in class, grading, teaching, doing homework, doing research, or in meetings for various things related to teaching and/or research. Often I get home and work 10-2 during week days and sometimes do two more 10+hour days on the weekend. I feel your pain on the weeks on end without stop bit.

Officially though, I only work 20 hours.

wait until deadline and have you advisor scream behind you [​IMG] , those were the days...

7. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Technically I am salaried at 35 hours per week. Some days, I'm there 9-5. Some days, when the bosses are in town, it can be 9-7 or 8. There is the occasional day where you're there 12+ hours, but that's a once or twice in a year thing...hopefully. [​IMG] I've been racking up comp time as of late. We've been there till at least 5:30 or 6.

8. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Distinguished Member

wait until deadline and have you advisor scream behind you [​IMG] , those were the days...

Luckily, I'm studying mathematical physics, and have chosen an advisor whom I get along with really, really well. I can see the deadline bit, but not a whole lot of screaming. That just doesn't seem to be his style.

9. Matt

Matt [email protected]

I just finished my 11th straight day of work. I've also been working a lot weekends. I personally don't mind my hours, averaging between 10-14 on the weekdays, and 6-8 on the weekends, though I'm tired as hell once I get home. This is apparently detrimental to my relationship. My girlfriend was pretty pissed when I gave the "sleepy face" about going out to karaoke.

So, is this really a problem? How much does everyone work on average? Money causes a lot of anxiety for me, so I'd rather work and try to save or pay down debt as much as possible. FWIW, this is the perspective of a thirty year-old and not some recent college grad.

wind it in Mattie. I have no doubt that A can kick your ass...then who needs a doctor?

10. CBrown85

CBrown85 Distinguished Member

Usually get to the school around 7:30 and leave about 5 or so. Unless there's practise or a tournament or something in which case I could be there anywheres between 7 pm or 10 pm. Not sure how to count extra marking, communicating with parents/students, lesson planning or pro-d though. I dunno, is it work if you like doing it?

11. KPO89

KPO89 Senior Member

I don't understand how most of these people who work this much have time for an SF account...if you do you don't have your priorities right.

I work about 60 a week just starting out as a account manager. 6 months ago in college was when I had time to be on SF. Now it is just late nights and weekends to check the User CP.

12. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Stylish Dinosaur

50 at work, another 10-15 on furniture projects that dont really count as work.

13. acidboy

acidboy Stylish Dinosaur

I work from 8 to 5, 6 days a week. no miss.

14. Magnas

Magnas Member

Normally I work from 8-16 mon-fri. I find that it's plenty of time to do the things that needs to get done. Sometimes I take an intense week though with my business partners with everybody sleeping in the office and rocking the house from 7-24 if we have something which really needs some laser-focused attention. Before I got my son I worked a few hours in the evening also, but I don't do that anymore to make time for him and my wife.

15. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Right now, I tend to average around 45 a week. I am salaried with overtime (actually salary at 35, 1x time to 40 and 1.5x for 40+) and this seems to be the level or work I get at non-crunch times without really trying. I kind of want to bump this up...not entirely for the money but for the advancement potential and that I think it would force me to live a more "intense" life. Just like when I started working during school (rather than my first year where I just had school) and having less free time led to me actually doing more productive things with the time I had.

I figure that it is better to do it now before I have a family and things like that to eat up my time...get the big steps out of the way by busting ass now. What is weird is that it seems like I already have a reputation for doing this...If I get in an elevator with some more senior person at 5:30 it is not uncommon to get some comment like "ooh, they're letting you go at a reasonable time for once."

I don't understand how most of these people who work this much have time for an SF account...if you do you don't have your priorities right.

Even when it gets busy, I tend to have lots of bits of short downtime...send off a piece of work-product to someone and have to wait around for some feedback or a new task. Perfect for getting in a few threaks on SF (or reading some news headlines or watching youtube or whatever everybody else in the office does).