• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much do you work?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just finished my 11th straight day of work. I've also been working a lot weekends. I personally don't mind my hours, averaging between 10-14 on the weekdays, and 6-8 on the weekends, though I'm tired as hell once I get home. This is apparently detrimental to my relationship. My girlfriend was pretty pissed when I gave the "sleepy face" about going out to karaoke.

So, is this really a problem? How much does everyone work on average? Money causes a lot of anxiety for me, so I'd rather work and try to save or pay down debt as much as possible. FWIW, this is the perspective of a thirty year-old and not some recent college grad.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
I just finished my 11th straight day of work. I've also been working a lot weekends. I personally don't mind my hours, averaging between 10-14 on the weekdays, and 6-8 on the weekends,.............., this is the perspective of a thirty year-old and not some recent college grad.

Yikes!

Are you a lawyer?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I intern at a CPA firm doing audit so I'm paid hourly and average 40 hours, but the salaried guys I work with are working 8am to 10pm during the week then probably 10 hours over the weekend. Some guys work until midnight but that's due to travel or other distractions during the day.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work half the month. On my days on I'm usually working from 9-3 in the winter. 8-6 or 7 in the summer.

Worked 9-1 today.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Yikes!

Are you a lawyer?

Internist.

I guess the question is, how much can you work before it begins to affect other parts of your life?

I have no desire to work 14+ hour days. I can, however, work 8-10 days somewhat indefinitely, though this leaves little free time to do anything other than work and household maintenance.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work on average ~60 hours... If I'm lucky I'll get a little less. If I'm less fortunate, a little more.

I've had one week where I was working 7:30 - midnight+. (that was fun)

You also have to remember that a lot of people (me too sometimes) are just AT work for those hours. You also have to factor in the time where you shoot the crap with people and mess around.

What do you mean about other parts of your life?

In my case, I don't work weekends so I try to visit friends at night on weekends. Also, I try to fit in workouts early in the morning and do life maintenence on weekends.

I think that when you work long hours, it becomes evident that you have to do what you enjoy or else it's going to be a rough 40+ years of your life.

christinedaae

Reaction score
Generally I work from 7am until about 5 or 8 pm during the week, on friday's I take a half day and get off at one, and generally end up working on sunday's to catch up with what I need to catch up with. Generally between 65 and 70 hours a week. about once every 2 months I take a week off. I don't take certain days of my body tells me when it's time to recharge, and when I recharge I will take a few days / week and I'm back in the grind. I also don't work the month of December after like the 10th, it's just too slow to justify working full time, I might work 5-10 hours a week at that point.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm 44. 10=12 days a month I travel - that means that I am usually flying every day (maybe 3 flights a month of 6-12 hours and then 5-8 of 2-4 hours), a few hours in the airport, a 4-5 hour meeting, and maybe 2 hours of paperwork, an hour or so of telephone calls.

then, on the other days - I go into the office 2 days a month, which is usually 6-8 hours of meetings, and 5 hours or so of paperwork.

the other 8 "working days" I get up about 5:30, do 15-30 min on the phone or with emails, hit the gym take my kids to school, work about 9-15, pick my kids up at school, then do another hour or two late night on the phone and email.

but when I was in my twenties and early 30's, I worked much, much harder.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8h30 - 4h30 most days. I'm in the public sector.

The regular schedule is pretty fantastic. You can always plan ahead and the days flies by pretty fast. I do a fair amount of (voluntary) overtime during some months to stay on top of my work though.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just finished my 11th straight day of work. I've also been working a lot weekends. I personally don't mind my hours, averaging between 10-14 on the weekdays, and 6-8 on the weekends, though I'm tired as hell once I get home. This is apparently detrimental to my relationship. My girlfriend was pretty pissed when I gave the "sleepy face" about going out to karaoke.

So, is this really a problem? How much does everyone work on average? Money causes a lot of anxiety for me, so I'd rather work and try to save or pay down debt as much as possible. FWIW, this is the perspective of a thirty year-old and not some recent college grad.

Sounds like you enjoy your work more than time with your girlfriend. Nothing terrible about that, but just be prepared to be single soon.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Everything in life is about balance. Sounds like you don't have any.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
February 1 - April 30, 60-70 hours/week.
May 1- June 30, 40 hours/week
July 1 - January 31, 30 hours/week

ektaylor

Reaction score
One half of the year I work 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week. The other half I don't.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
February 1 - April 30, 60-70 hours/week.
May 1- June 30, 40 hours/week
July 1 - January 31, 30 hours/week

You are a tax accountant/preparer.

I do about 45 hours per week. I work in risk at a big bank, so I don't have many pressing deadlines. I do have to think very hard for several short bursts of time everyday, so I'm pretty wasted by the time I get home everyday.

As a result I am a big proponent of using my Sundays to prepare food for my wife and I for throughout the week. I have no idea how we'll do it once we have kids, but I'm sure we'll find a way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads