• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much do you think distributors pay?

alphaO888

Reaction score
How much of a mark up do you guys think there is between the manufacturer and the distributor for high end shoes (i.e. Lobb, EG, etc.)? Hundreds? 50%? 10%? 20%?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would guess that the retailer doubles the price at least. That is pretty standard for retail.

alphaO888

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I would guess that the retailer doubles the price at least. That is pretty standard for retail.

Really that high? So the retailer is only paying 500 bucks for a pair of EG's and making 500 every pair?

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alphaO888
Really that high? So the retailer is only paying 500 bucks for a pair of EG's and making 500 every pair?

Yes and no. Wholesale is probably about 1/2 of MSRP. Instead of thinking about it as "making $500 on every pair" you should think about it as "making at most $500 on every pair". Shoes are particularly tricky for retailers, because you have to order at least one of every size, and multiples in the popular sizes. And when you get to high-end shoes, customers are more picky about having the right width as well. So for every 10D that you make $500 on, there's a 12.5E in your back room that nobody's buying, and you'll eventually discount down to wholesale (or less) just to move it.

Shoes also have relatively high labor costs; shoe salesmen spend a lot more time with the customer than most clothing salespeople (and then there's the time fetching stock from the back). So while it seems that retailers are making a killing, shoes are nowhere near as profitable as, say, ties.

alphaO888

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/29/fashion/29ROW.html

Good article -

I'm curious as to whether high end shoes are the same pricing structure since it generally takes a lot more work to create a shoe than a pair of pants. Plus there is a bigger difference in quality between a pair of Lobbs and Cole Haans vs a pair of Margiela chinos and a pair of Gap chinos, no?

alphaO888

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
Yes and no. Wholesale is probably about 1/2 of MSRP. Instead of thinking about it as "making $500 on every pair" you should think about it as "making at most $500 on every pair". Shoes are particularly tricky for retailers, because you have to order at least one of every size, and multiples in the popular sizes. And when you get to high-end shoes, customers are more picky about having the right width as well. So for every 10D that you make $500 on, there's a 12.5E in your back room that nobody's buying, and you'll eventually discount down to wholesale (or less) just to move it.

Shoes also have relatively high labor costs; shoe salesmen spend a lot more time with the customer than most clothing salespeople (and then there's the time fetching stock from the back). So while it seems that retailers are making a killing, shoes are nowhere near as profitable as, say, ties.

Thanks -

How about on made to order or even bespoke? Is it still a 50% gross profit margin?

Roger Everett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100

All this, plus a retailer might also get incentives at certain times of the year, for large orders , etc, usually like an additional 10-15%. And don't pass on the fact that a high end retailer is also located in the high end rent district, with a finely decorated showroom, and bo-ko overhead. You don't go to the other side of the tracts to a BB - Aldens - Allen Edmonds store.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alphaO888
Good article -

I'm curious as to whether high end shoes are the same pricing structure since it generally takes a lot more work to create a shoe than a pair of pants. Plus there is a bigger difference in quality between a pair of Lobbs and Cole Haans vs a pair of Margiela chinos and a pair of Gap chinos, no?

I suspect that margins are slimmer for manufacturers, but the retailers maintain their 200% markups.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one has mentioned quantity. I assume the larger bulk stores buying larger quantity, even have a better margin?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
last Xmas RL was selling their EG and G&G shoes for $400 ish. they had retail tags on them for $1100 ish.

I doubt they were losing money per se, though of course they can't stay in business if they sell stuff for the same amount they buy it for

thatguymj

Reaction score
Standard retailers (like a smallish shoe shop) mark things like lobb shoes up ~60% at MINIMUM. So to answer your question, they pay 40% of the MSRP. If you're talking about a big store, Niemans, Barneys, they usually are able to use economy of scales to get things around 28-35% of MSRP.

alphaO888

Reaction score
I just wanted to ask where you guys are getting the %'s from - professional experience or just educated guesses? I'm not trying to suggest that the numbers are out of whack but I'd just like to know where people are drawing their numbers from..

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read "Genuine Authentic" about Polo Ralph Lauren. It takes you through the margins. Most of what is said here is true. And yes, larger stores get deeper discounts from larger manufacturers. And Polo has a business model where they can make money off of close-outs, maybe not all of them but most of them. The items in outlets are manufactured for profit even at outlet prices. BTW, RL rarely pays rent for outlet stores since they are the desirable anchor store.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Read "Genuine Authentic" about Polo Ralph Lauren. It takes you through the margins. Most of what is said here is true. And yes, larger stores get deeper discounts from larger manufacturers. And Polo has a business model where they can make money off of close-outs, maybe not all of them but most of them. The items in outlets are manufactured for profit even at outlet prices. BTW, RL rarely pays rent for outlet stores since they are the desirable anchor store.

They can't afford free rent for RL. Any Nike outlet will bring in more folks than most RL outlets and they don't get free rent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads