1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How much do you spend on wine?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by johnw86, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Saltwater Wrangler

Saltwater Wrangler Senior member

So how many of you guys frequently buy 1/2 and full cases vs single bottles in building your collections?

Pretty much only buy in 1/2 cases, sometimes full. I'm not big on spending a lot on wine but you can work good deals and discounts if you buy in bulk. I'd suggest cozying up to a local store owner and see if he can make it happen...

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I rarely spend more than $15 a bottle for stuff to drink at home. At restaurants, I desparately try to stay under $75.

Restaurants are a problem. The usual formula is 2.5 times retail price. So a $50 bottle is suddenly $125. An $80 is suddenly $200. And then there is the tip. I am a generous tipper, but frankly, I don't think a guy deserves $40 extra for pouring me what is in reality an $80 bottle of wine.

So we try and either reserve a good wine with a meal out for special occasions or if we find a good inexpensive wine on a menu that will reasonably match what each of us is having to eat. Surprisingly, certain meals are the easiest to find a good wine for cheap that matches the dinner. Like a crab leg dinner, or a rich fish goes well with an inexpensive Reisling.

3. visionology

visionology Senior member

I stick to less than $20 when buying anything for home. Usually it is just a dinner beverage for us, nothing more.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Pretty much only buy in 1/2 cases, sometimes full. I'm not big on spending a lot on wine but you can work good deals and discounts if you buy in bulk. I'd suggest cozying up to a local store owner and see if he can make it happen...

I would go one step farther and say do not shop at a place that does not offer discounts for purchases of 1/2 or at least a full case. My two main wine shops have a 15% and 20% discount for case purchases.

5. Smokestack

Smokestack Senior member

I keep it under $10 unless the people at the store have something really glowing to say about it or if it's a varietal from a region that I typically like a lot. Then, I'll usually go up to $25ish.

6. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

This question depends entirely on what kind of wine I am buying and from what region. You can do well with $20 in Malbec and Spain, but that's a tall order where regions like Napa are concerned.

My typical price range doesn't fall in a $10 bracket -- it's more like $30-$50 based primiarily on the regions I buy from.

That said, I like nothing more than an amazing wine at a great price. The Pascual Toso is a wonderful example of that kind of discovery.