• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much do you spend on a tie?

How much do you spend on a tie?

• $30-50

Votes: 56 21.7%
  • $51-70

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • $71-99

Votes: 74 28.7%
  • $100-$125

Votes: 39 15.1%
  • $125+

Votes: 46 17.8%

• Total voters

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you guys get your Tom Ford ties?I've been hunting for the knitted ones but they are quite overpriced on Ebay.Looking at the USD100 range for them.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where do you guys get your Tom Ford ties?I've been hunting for the knitted ones but they are quite overpriced on Ebay.Looking at the USD100 range for them.

Neiman Marcus Last Call outlet will occasionally have them, or Woodbury Tom Ford Outlet.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's an improvement over wearing a noose around your neck or heavy fugly looking uncomfortable laceup wingtips (the official shoe of cubicle dwelling drones and accountants  lol) but it's not exactly what I meant.
A lot of the stuff that men still wear is leftover from the fugly looking Victorian age. The lower classes back then bought used clothes and wore it until it was threadbare and perhaps had 2 shoes in a lifetime that they kept resoling (labour was cheap). The reason that shoes, clothes etc were so heavy and uncomfortable is that the average lower or middle classes had few clothes and the few they had needed to wear like iron.
The tie is going to go the way of the hat within 5 years.And good riddance.

You sound familiar. Which one of the previously banned trolls are you?

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is it always the lower classes who are attached to these antiquated ideas about dress?Perhaps it may be that they never wore these things when they were kids and it holds a certain fascination for them that they associate with their betters. Who knows, but this attachment to the garb worn a few generations ago and for some silly reason is still lingering on as it dies a slow death is a sign of a prole background.
nest.gif

You sound familiar. Which one of the previously banned trolls are you?
lurker[1].gif

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't mind spending $100 + on a tie if its one I really like. i find the discount stores that do sell ties at "off" prices are selling them because they're not nice enough to go for full retail, at any price. I rarely find ones I like at places like C21 or outlets, and would much prefer the real deal at a higher price in EXACTLY what I want. Its one of the motivating factors that made me want to start my own brand and doing so has given me a real appreciation for why certain ties cost more than others.

Last edited:

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't mind spending $100 + on a tie if its one I really like. i find the discount stores that do sell ties at "off" prices are selling them because they're not nice enough to go for full retail, at any price. I rarely find ones I like at places like C21 or outlets, and would much prefer the real deal at a higher price in EXACTLY what I want. Its one of the motivating factors that made me want to start my own brand and doing so has given me a real appreciation for why certain ties cost more than others.

When and where can we see these?

Putonghua73

Reaction score
From £25-30 navy tie from CT to £115 full retail from Drakes. Most recently $125-155 SGD (£75) from Vanda. I also like E.G. Capelli.

It's a combination of colour, texture, patterns and construction.

I must admit I prefer more weight and heft than my silk green / white pindots - taking me a while to get used to the light construction. Nevertheless, beautiful tie. The burnt chocolate wool crepe is to die for. Both from Vanda.

I've just seen the blue Donegal. Must .. Resist ..

FillW

Reaction score
So far all I've bought are thrift regular neckties ($1.00 to $3.00) but have spent around $15.00 on new bowties on sale at MW and Macy's.

CentralParkMan

Reaction score
Typically I tend to spend around $50-$150 on a tie. For me quality is a huge factor when it comes to purchasing ties as there's no point in investing in a nice suit and then letting a cheap looking tie ruin the look I'm going for. That being said there's no real reason to spend upwards of $200 on a tie unless you're crazy about it.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as knit ties being expensive on ebay..

I got the solid green for $40 and each of the other two for $30. I LOVE the PRL knit. Just keep your eyes open. There's a yellow one for $55 or so I want as well.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont think i have a regular. ive bought great ties for 30 bucks, and others for over 100 if i really liked em. depends more on teh tie, not so much a price thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics