• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much do you spend on a tie?

How much do you spend on a tie?

• $30-50

Votes: 56 21.7%
  • $51-70

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • $71-99

Votes: 74 28.7%
  • $100-$125

Votes: 39 15.1%
  • $125+

Votes: 46 17.8%

• Total voters

Soylent Green

Reaction score
I don't purchase ties often, maybe I'll pick up one or two every five years or so. And when I do buy ties, I only do so with steep discounts. Just a few hours ago, for instance, I picked up two ties at the Neiman Marcus final clearance sale in Copley Plaza, Boston. I paid $70 for a sevenfold wool Isaia, and $110 for a sevenfold Kiton. That's more than I like to spend on ties, but I think these two ties are beautiful and they both fill color and/or texture gaps in my wardrobe. And the Isaia was $190 originally, and the Kiton was $250. I guess some people pay those prices, but that's out of my comfort zone, regardless of quality or aesthetics. My usual tie purchase is $40 at the Christmas sale at Brooks Brothers. I tend not to buy ties secondhand.

Last edited:

oldwiz

Reaction score
I have maybe 200 high end ties in my collection and most of those have been found at the thrifts. I only purchase pre-owned ties in mint condition and prefer the geometric patterns in high quality woven silk. Many have never been worn. Brands are typically XMI Platinums, Talbott BOC/7-fold, Zegna, Ike Behar, RLPL, John W. Nordstrom, Massimo Bizzocchi, and Faconnable with a sprinkling of Kiton, Brioni, Charvet, Isaia, etc.. Prices for these range from $1 to $8 at the thrifts. The cheapest I have found were five very nice striped XL ties custom made (but never worn) for Gary Morton, comedian and husband of Lucille Ball. They were $0.60 each.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spent $25 on a navy knit tie the other day, and I think that's the most I have ever spent. I have always just eBayed or thrifted mine and have reached a good amount and few selectively every now and then. On average, I'd say I spent about $10 a tie. They were good labels too, Polo, Brooks, etc. and some random no namers that just have a decent pattern.

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no more then USD120 with the exception for Tom Ford ties, which I have an obsession with.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Your location is in London.. Where do you buy your ties?!

I mean this in all sincerity: I love your presence in this thread.

There was that poster in the beginning who spent 300USD; it gets necrobumped, someone with a London location and a penchant for fine ties posts, and your on it like...I don't know...none of the analogies are flattering...ah...like a world renown cardiologist on a heart attack.

Next time I am in London...which won't be for a few years (
frown.gif
), I promise to visit your store and buy a tie from you.

cheers.gif

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Haha. Well, apart from you, Drakes, Marinella, and Cappelli that I still use, I also get ties made in Asia. I think there are two tie-makers from Asia who are well-regarded on this forum. Only one is from Singapore
smile.gif

Now I get it, those are Vanda's prices.. haha.

I mean this in all sincerity: I love your presence in this thread.

There was that poster in the beginning who spent 300USD; it gets necrobumped, someone with a London location and a penchant for fine ties posts, and your on it like...I don't know...none of the analogies are flattering...ah...like a world renown cardiologist on a heart attack.

Next time I am in London...which won't be for a few years (
frown.gif
), I promise to visit your store and buy a tie from you.

You missed my point, his location is London yet he put prices in SGD and USD, that seemed a bit strange.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But Davesmith, do you think there's an uppermost threshold people are willing to pay for ties. For instance, do you think that ties that are priced beyond 130 USD will in all likelihood move slowly compared to those in the high nineties and low hundreds? Pardon my using USD as the currency, everybody on this forum uses USD.

Last edited:

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
But Davesmith, do you think there's an uppermost threshold people are willing to pay for ties. For instance, do you think that ties that are priced beyond 130 USD will in all likelihood move slowly compared to those in the high nineties and low hundreds? Pardon my using USD as the currency, everybody on this forum uses USD.

IMO, all depends on where they are being sold. Bergdorf Goodman is still is business because of where it is situated. If it was somewhere like (insert poor town here) then they might have a problem shifting Tom Ford and Kiton ties for $200+. The same applies with cheap ties, I have tried to shift ugly Charvet ties for less than $30 and no-one even took a second glance. I'm sure there are people on this forum that could elaborate on what I just wrote ten-fold.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...$30 or less. Personally, I don't see a reason to pay more than that. 99.9% of the time, no one can tell the difference, and in my opinion, the impact of "higher quality" on a tie is minimal.

Last edited:

WillyWonka

Reaction score
...$30 or less. Personally, I don't see a reason to pay more than that. 99.9% of the time, no one can tell the difference, and in my opinion, the impact of "higher quality" on a tie is minima
0. Ties are an anachronism and belong in the late Victorian period with all of the other Victorian junk and useless garbage, like laces on shoes. Clothes should be comfortable regardless of whether they're "dress" or sportswear. We're going to have to bring style and materials into the modern age.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

0. Ties are an anachronism and belong in the  late Victorian period with all of the other Victorian junk and useless garbage, like laces on shoes. Clothes should be comfortable regardless of whether they're "dress" or sportswear. We're going to have to bring style and materials into the modern age.

Welcome to StyleForvm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads