1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How much do you pay for a shoe-shine?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieselman89, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I felt bad for him, brah. He's only 4 posts in and I wouldn't want him to run away after an incident with the "man who dyes used gloves."

2. Treko

Treko Member

Ah, much obliged.

3. iroh

iroh Senior member

you make some good points, however getting your shoe shined is still degrading, i have superior moral judgement and would feel quite bad if i stepped into a mens store and forced another man to bend down and wipe my shoes. it would be hard to not think how pathetic that man is. paying them money, or paying him a big tip to vainly attempt to relieve my conscience won't change that the work is degrading and entirely preventable. seems we have culture of acceptable degradation. just because one desperately needs money and takes a shoe shine job, or just because he is good at it, or efficient at it, doesn't mean it should be done.

4. Harold falcon

Iroh, perhaps you could instruct us on the proper way to refill disposable Bic pens that have run out of ink. Much appreciated.

5. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Agreed. I don't have a set or anything, but $5 every now and then (I get 1 pair of shoes shined once a month) i rotate them. But I cannot shine my shoes as well as the guys at the stands. They clean the dirt off and have an assortment of polish.

6. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

I have also struggled with this. I do feel awkward getting my shoes shined. That said, it's a little convenient (and well done!) to resist. I don't feel bad when it's a bigger shop, though, for instance, at NY Penn Station there's a shoe shine like madhouse, and I feel more comfortable when there are at least five other dudes getting a shine at the same time. That sounded wrong.

7. RSS

RSS Senior member

Perhaps because in the 'bigger shop' those being shone can converse among themselves and/or read their papers and avoid superfluous exchanges with those doing the shining who remain free to converse among themselves. This way there is only limited exchange between the two very different socioeconomic backgrounds.

Personally I choose never to remain in my shoes when they are being shined. It's also not an act I want performed in public.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  8. iroh

iroh Senior member

Looks like you are the troll, I made legitimate posts in this thread, if you don't like it then put me on your ignore list.

+2

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  9. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

I pay $3 in NYC and add $2 in tip, sometimes $3

I pay $18 for a haircut and tip $8 - plus another $20-$40 during the holidays

10. Harold falcon

Iroh, you wound me. I would never put you on ignore. I love each and every one of your posts. By no means should you stop. Thank you for all you've done.

Kisses,

Harvey

11. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Your a heavy tipper man. Thats some nice gratuity.

12. Layered Player

Layered Player Senior member

I do that here:http://mensroomsalon.com/, trying to convince the ladies that a shoeshine stand would make bank.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  13. LImorowman

LImorowman Well-Known Member

On Long Island and NYC they usually charge $3, I just give them a $5. They really work it sometimes 5 or 10 minutes..

14. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

:lol:

15. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Would it be degrading to hire someone to polish my gloves? Or should I be doing this myself.

16. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

[​IMG]

"Pleb, you missed a spot on my button boots."

1 person likes this.
  17. shoeguide

shoeguide Active Member

All depends what sort of service you want.
    Its like saying how much should I pay for a haircut.
    If you want a cheap snip go to the £5 barber if you want a good job go to the £100 hairdresser!!
    Im from london there are awful ones and good ones shoe snob and london hilton park lane are best and charge more than say burlington arcade which is cheap but they are much better

18. AndrewJS0220

AndrewJS0220 Member

19. AndrewJS0220

AndrewJS0220 Member

20. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

I have a shoe-shine kit but after two kids I don't have time. I usually pay $5-$10 per shine and the latter is when they use a shoe cream too.