• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Much do you Pay and What to Look for when Tailoring Shirts?

spider52

Reaction score
$45 to take in a shirt? Are you talking USD? WTF is wrong with you?

$6.75 is indeed a great price, albeit you will need to carefully monitor the workmanship. Don't be surprised to be charged $15-$20 at a better places. You are better off getting into custom shirts though - your are paying more but you're not paying twice for the assembly.

sarcasticfolly

Reaction score
I pay my tailor in India roughly $39 for shirts and they're on par in quality with anything I've gotten from BB, RL, etc. Are there nicer shirts out there, yes, but I'm not paying $350+ for that.

inq89

Reaction score
$14 total for sides and sleeves to be taken in. They do a pretty good job, and the tailor is apparently the top ranked from a local paper 10 years in a row.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spider52
$45 to take in a shirt? Are you talking USD? WTF is wrong with you?

It's Long Island. They charge out the ass here. For what it's worth, I'd rather pay the extra money for the assurance of a fantastic fit. I mean, if I lived in China/South Korea, I would love to have custom shirts made. Unfortunately, that's not the way it is.

If anyone would like to point me towards a more affordable option in the NYC/LI area, I'm all ears.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
I pay $7 for the full treatment on a shirt. Dude does a really good
job.

Where do you get yours done?

myke

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spider52
You are better off getting into custom shirts though - your are paying more but you're not paying twice for the assembly.

Definitely agree. It's far less hassle and offers way more choice and possibilties in fabrics and shirt design.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$10 to take in sides
$10 to slim sleeves
$10 to hem sleeves
$10 to hem shirt

$10 for any specific thing you want done

itsallinurhead

Reaction score
On the same page, do you guys get your shirts laundered before taking them in for tailoring?

I am bring in some shirts for tailoring later this week, I am just too lazy to run by the dry cleaner first.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would at least run them through the wash, definitely not a press or iron. They usually give it a press when they're done. It would seem rude to give someone dirty clothes to work with.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
I pay $7 for the full treatment on a shirt. Dude does a really good
job.

Well I picked up my first "test case" yesterday. Was a PRL classic fit long sleeve.

I have to say that for $6.75 this is solid. He tapered the sides AND sleeve which surprised me since I didn't even mention the sleeve.

The fit is now identical to a BB slim fit. I asked him to take in the next couple of shirts even more, but he said it would not work..

I'm not sure why that is true, but for this quality at this price... I'm going to trust him.

up1bin

Reaction score
Furo, where are you located?

I live in the NYC/Northern NJ area and would LOVE to find a tailor that would taper shirts for such a price... I'd bring in every single shirt I own

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by up1bin
Furo, where are you located?

I live in the NYC/Northern NJ area and would LOVE to find a tailor that would taper shirts for such a price... I'd bring in every single shirt I own

I'm in SW Texas sort of near El Paso area...

Here's a pic I got yesterday while in his shop (his $6.75 for shirts isn't listed here so I got a bargain):

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads