• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Much do you Pay and What to Look for when Tailoring Shirts?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently found a tailor in town by word of mouth who does shirts at a reasonable price:

$6.75 for tapering of the sides
$6.75 for shortening sleeves

I took a shirt in last week as a "test case" to see how it turns out.

Question I have is: do you consider this a good deal, and what am I looking for in terms of quality of workmanship, i.e. are there any tell-tale signs that I shouldn't go back?

thanks!

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
I recently found a tailor in town by word of mouth who does shirts at a reasonable price:

$6.75 for tapering of the sides
$6.75 for shortening sleeves

I took a shirt in last week as a "test case" to see how it turns out.

Question I have is: do you consider this a good deal, and what am I looking for in terms of quality of workmanship, i.e. are there any tell-tale signs that I shouldn't go back?

thanks!

If anything, the tapering and sleeve shortening charges seem a little too low. These are quite easy tasks and there's not much to look for other than whether the shirts fit you the way you want them to.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
If anything, the tapering and sleeve shortening charges seem a little too low. These are quite easy tasks and there's not much to look for other than whether the shirts fit you the way you want them to.

Well aside from the fit, what I'm concerned about is the stitching and whatnot. Are there indications of a poorly done job? I just don't know what to specifically look for when inspecting his work.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I pay between $20 - $40 depending on the place and what I want done.

up1bin

Reaction score
I pay ~$30 for taking in a dress shirt. $6.75 seems VERY low for such a job. My tailor takes it in starting from the sleeve all the way down the side seam. As long as it looks like a normal shirt w/ normal stitching when its all said and done, then its good enough.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've paid anywhere from $15 (cheap local korean lady out of her garage) to $35 (my normal tailor) for having the body and sleeves tapered... generally, I've learned you get what you pay for...
From now on, I only get very simple jobs like hems or buttons done with her.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I've paid anywhere from $15 (cheap local korean lady out of her garage) to $35 (my normal tailor) for having the body and sleeves tapered... generally, I've learned you get what you pay for...
From now on, I only get very simple jobs like hems or buttons done with her.

Interesting description of having the body AND sleeves tapered. I didn't ask this guy to taper the sleeves, so wondering how it will turn out.

From the description below, it seems that the primary diff between a standard BB shirt and a slim fit is all in the tapering of the sides:

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've paid a tailor 45 for slimming the sides/sleeves and creating two darts in the back. The results were fantastic.

I've also paid the dry cleaners 15 to slim the sides. The results were underwhelming, but decent for the price.

On the one hand, if I got a shirt from the thrift store, I'd probably go with the 15 dry cleaners. On the other hand, I'd rather take a more expensive shirt to the tailor and get more reliable results.

up1bin

Reaction score
A lot of times, if the sides are blousy enough to require tapering, the sleeves generally need to be taken in as well (unless you have large arms).

All my shirts I had taken in, my tailor takes in the sleeves. I think it would look out of balance if he didn't do that.

free man

Reaction score
When I have had shirts taken in, costs me 12$. He took in the arms even though I didn't specify. I am going to ask him if he can do a regular stitch next time so it looks exactly the same, instead of that funky stitch that leaves me with a strange inside. I can't explain it
laugh.gif

IBJanky

Reaction score
I pay $15 to my local seamstress to take in a shirt.

That price includes pretty much anything you want done to the shirt. Includes side, sleeves, etc.

myke

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by free man
When I have had shirts taken in, costs me 12$. He took in the arms even though I didn't specify. I am going to ask him if he can do a regular stitch next time so it looks exactly the same, instead of that funky stitch that leaves me with a strange inside. I can't explain it
laugh.gif

Interesting. Maybe I can strike a deal with this tailor I'm using to see if he will also take in the sleeves for a few extra bucks, maybe $10 total

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pay $7 for the full treatment on a shirt. Dude does a really good
job.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I pay $40, they make me a whole shirt. If I want to tailor any other shirts that they didn't make, it's free as long as I'm making something.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's quite possible that for the price you paid, and without instructing the tailor, you'll end up with the seams having overlock stitching.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads