• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much do you $ on a Dress Shirt?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I am new to this whole thing. I am tired of making mistakes and feeling foolish afterwards. I need to buy a few great quality dress shirts.

What is the average amount you spend on a great quality shirt?

Are any of these designers considered manufactures of high-quality dress shirts: TAHARI, Zegna, Sid Mashburn...

Please list your favorites and price range...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
depends... Brooks Brothers at $60 is good value IMO. You can get good MTM for around $150. and personally I'd never spend more then about $200 on a shirt ever... but that's just me.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my travel shirts, around $100 (I'm on the road a lot -- these shirts get dry cleaned at hotels around the world). Typically, I get BB or CT white/blue shirts and get them altered.

I get my non-travel work shirts tailored (usually in India or Singapore when I travel) for about $60-$100/shirt. Most of that cost tends to be the fabric, rather than the cost of tailoring.

I've a few MTMs and few from the odd tailor, but they're typically less than $200.

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score
Focus on fit and getting exactly what you want in a durable and attractive fabric. Pay less attention to price and more attention to number of wears.

A $50 shirt worn 2 times and then given away because you never really liked it is a waste of money.

A $200 dress shirt you just love and wear 200 times over 10 years until it falls apart is a love story.

Raralith

Reaction score
My staples are Brooks Brothers button down collars and spread/point slim fit dress shirts, roughly $50ish each since I bought most of them on sale well over a year ago. I met with a bespoke shirtmaker recently though, got my measurements taken, and I'm looking at two starter shirts at $185 but ranges based on fabric.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spend about $50 on MTM shirts from moderntailor.com when t hey have good colors on sale.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Antonio Centeno
Focus on fit and getting exactly what you want in a durable and attractive fabric. Pay less attention to price and more attention to number of wears.

A $50 shirt worn 2 times and then given away because you never really liked it is a waste of money.

A $200 dress shirt you just love and wear 200 times over 10 years until it falls apart is a love story.

+1 thanks for the optimism. I just have never spent $150 on a dress shirt and it is giving me cold feet.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Antonio Centeno

This is great advice. I wish I had followed it more over the years. The one place where I really came closest was shoes, and I've never regretted any of my purchases of handgrade/benchgrade English shoes (Grenson Masterpiece, EG, Peal & Co.) ever.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HalfCanvas
This is great advice. I wish I had followed it more over the years. . . . I've never regretted any of my purchases of handgrade/benchgrade English shoes (Grenson Masterpiece, EG, Peal & Co.) ever.

I spend between $130 and $200 on my shirts depending on the fabric (CEGO). Shirts and shoes are the two places where I have never regretting spending money.

alt.don

Reaction score
I get J.P Tilford MTM at $149 a pop. Only catch is you have to get three or more at a time. Nice part is....that it is MTM. I wish they have a more varied cloth swatch to pick from though.

Yours in sartorial splendor

Owen Meany

Reaction score
H&K is the best shirt I have found for the money, I have some Brioni ($140 from STF) by which are "nicer" but for $80 you cannot beat H&K...IMO.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I buy $300 Armani Collezioni shirts when on sale for $100.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think $400 to $500 was the most I've ever spent on a single shirt (Charvet). I don't think I overpaid, but to put it another way, I am not going back there time and again to fill out my wardrobe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads