How much do you buy at full retail?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by crazyquik, Jun 25, 2007.

1. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Of your purchases over the last six months or a year, how much was at full retail vs sale/outlet/clearance/ebay/thrift?

2. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I'm not sure exactly, but the number approaches zero.

3. Milhouse

Milhouse Senior member

Not much. I usually will only pay full retail if I need an item right away and can't find it at any of my usual cheap sources. A good example recently was a white shirt. My need for white shirts had dropped substantially over the past few years, and then suddenly, I had an interview and was in need of a good white dress shirt. TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and such were failing me, so I paid full price for one. I think it was a good investment, the interview was a success.

4. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

almost everything.

5. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

I didn't think of MTM when including full retail, so i guess i need to adjust my vote. However, since you can't find MTM (or bespoke) on sale, would you consider that "full retail" or just the price you have to pay. I would probably consider it a different category.

6. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

only my custom shirts (and gifts for other people). i think everything else was discounted, including socks and underwear.

7. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

8. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

Most of it has becomes bespoke the last 2 years so i guees i would have to say 90%
    the othher 10% percent would be things that oen simply does not care about sneakers and workout clothes and for me personally socks (i prefer boots) for these i try to find the largest discount possible

9. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

almost everything.

Any particular reason why? I guess if every suit, shirt, shoe, trouser, jacket, overcoat etc is MTM or Bespoke, I understand. But surely you have casual wear that is not? Why not try to find the same item on discount?

Not trying to knock you, obviously, just curious as to your reasoning.

10. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I buy almost nothing at retail. Thinking back this past year, haha maybe only T shirts at target. The one and only single big item I bought at retail was Iron Heart 634s, but even that was with a 5% discount.

MSRP is for people with more money than time. Seriously. Nothing wrong with that, I wish I was so damn successful that it was cheaper to overspend by 50% because the 20 minutes it would take me to look on ebay was worth a million dollars to somebody.

11. LSeca

LSeca Senior member

I pay full retail for some shoes I really want, and MTM items. Everything else is purchased at discount.

12. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

I literally cant remember the last clothing item I paid full retail for

13. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

I pay full price for custom shirts and the occasional item I really, really want--could be a pair of pants, could be a pair of socks or cool tee. Edmorel, chorse, and lance are among my favorite discount sources for clothes. Ebay for shoes.

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

there are some things that you can only get at full retail, and some items there is a big risk of not having the color/size/model you want if and when a sale comes and you are not always guaranteed it will go on sale , or even if it did, if the item would be in brand new in box condition , perhaps very shop worn and not pristine. so at times i would purchase at full retail because luck at the above (and it does happen ) is too little and far in between.

15. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Any particular reason why? I guess if every suit, shirt, shoe, trouser, jacket, overcoat etc is MTM or Bespoke, I understand. But surely you have casual wear that is not? Why not try to find the same item on discount?

Not trying to knock you, obviously, just curious as to your reasoning.

Casual for me is odd trousers and a sports jacket. Either that or I have tons of armani stuff that I bought a 2-3 years ago that i wear when I really don't want to wear a sports jacket, so I haven't bought anythign that fits most peoples' definition of casual in a couple of years.

I buy RTW borrelli jackets at discount (and they fit great), but haven't in the past year b/c of limited selection based on what I already have. Bespoke fills holes in my jacket rotation. RTW shirts and pants just don't work for me at all. It's not really a question of marginal improvement either. I need a low rear-rise on my pants or i get diagonal creases and a bit of diaper-butt. And for shirts, well, I'm skinny... Anything RTW just looks stupid on me. You know... huge cuffs, baggy sleeves, baggy chest, sleeves that are eitehr too long or too short, etc.

I'll probably try and get some casual-wear at a discount soon b/c I don't feel like carting around all that expensive stuff when I go to peru for my spanish immersion course later this year. It's tough though because i've become so anal about fit. :p