• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much do I have to bow down to the ones I serve (showrooms)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jet and Ghulkan are too next level and their taste levels are too high tpo be influenced like the rest of us plebes, so they get a by in round 1.

As I'm sure most of you know, we like certain brands and certain stores. This is hardly surprising because this is a self selected group. Some of you (typically those who procrastinate most - fess up now) probably know that the majority of these brands are represented by a small number of showrooms. The most anal of you will know which particular rep is in charge of which brands, in which region. You might wake up one day, and say "Woah, X rep from Y showroom dressed me today. Mind = blown".

So, the game is, can you identify not only the brand that you are wearing today, but which showroom sold your retailer that piece. And remember, brands change showrooms, or decide to open their own, or whatever, and reps don't keep the same portfolio in perpetuity, so this is more difficult than you think.

Today, I wore a Woolrich Woolen Mills jacket, and Common Projects sneakers, both bought this season, both repped by The News. I wore an old Jay Allen blank, which is really, truly, independent steez, and a thermal and jeans from Wings+Horns, usually Neighbourhood Case Study, except that I got them from Roden Gray and Nomad, respectively, so probably, directly from CYC. I wore a cap by Fred Bare (which Alan Bilzerian got directly from the London millinery) and a belt by Robert Geller, who I think shows independently, but I can't be 100% sure of that.) Socks were house brand from MAC. It was pretty chilly, so I layered a Mr. Olive G-type sweat jacket under WWM jacket,a a brand that is also independently repped. And I wore fingerless gloves that are geniune army surplus. So... I score a 2 pieces out of 10 total. Today, I was not much controlled.

Tomorrow, I may try to be as controlled as possible.

How about you guys. BTW, if the brand is from a huge company, even if the division is small (RRL is a good example of this), it counts towards your serfdom.

Brigden

Reaction score
I'm struggling not to be immediately dismissive, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Why do you care?

Enlighten me.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
crazy.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
fok, put down the drink and step away from this threak.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is weirder than eating dead people cookies in a cemetery.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also-- post the names and wages of the workers who sewed/cut/treated your clothes.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
This is weirder than eating dead people cookies in a cemetery.
And pretending that it is a normal and everyday activity to impress an internet community of clothing nerds.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brigden
I'm struggling not to be immediately dismissive, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Why do you care?

He doesn't. This is like Aesop's Fables, Styleforumâ„¢ edition.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this what Moscow, Idaho does to a man?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why did I start this thread? Well, I was talking to an undisclosed retailer, and we spent a good hour bemoaning the uniformity of fashion boutiques after he told me that he went of on a rant about just that to a magazine reporter who was interviewing him as a "tastemaker".

I attribute this uniformity to three things: 1) The unprecedented rapid dessemination of information, 2) Showrooms becoming too good at presenting an attractive, coherent stable of brands, and 3) customers not challenging retailers to step out on a limb, and not supporting them when they do. Obviously 1 and 2 are not going to change, but we are the consumers, and we can change (3). I'm just saying "Take the Red Pill", or maybe it was the blue.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you guys say. Fok is just off his game today. Maybe. But let me at least make my case:

1) Because of the rapid dessemination of information, things lose their novelty nearly instantly. Look at Robert Geller (whose line I really like, btw.) His label is just a few seasons old. He isn't even (AFAIK) even represented by a major showroom. A decade ago, a designer like him would have become popular in NYC first, and then buyers in smaller markets would quietly discover him one two, three, four seasons later, and introduce him to their customers. Now, it's instant. His assistant posts a bunch of pictures on Superfuture, and *everyone*, and I mean anyone from teenagers in Bettendorf, Iowa to forty year old dudes in New Zealand, know about him instantly, and all clamor for his stuff. The whole process of discovery has been reduced to a few clicks. What real fun is there in that?

2) Even if you leave on the influence of the internet and superfast communication, you look at all the brands talked about on the fashion fora, or all of the brands sold at and "cool" stores, you'll see the same brands, the same pieces. Why? Because showrooms have gotten too good at their job. For example, go to The News, one of the premier showrooms in New York, and you've got your Woolrich Woolen Mills, your Common Projects, Band of Outsiders, Shipley and Halmos, and Cheap Monday. Sound familiar?

3) I don't know about you guys, but I get really get excited when I see something I haven't seen before, not on the net, and not outside of its native market, like the Stars and Perfect Tens belts and bags in Toronto. I also get excited when I see product that doesn't seem to sit well together at first glance, and yet, could all be in the closet of the same person. That is why I like MAC in San Francisco and Alan Bilzerian's so much. They show real character. They feature small local designers or take a chance on designers that even seasoned shoppers are unlikely to recognize (anyone heard of Krones + Kin?) This is why I am really excited about Atsui's buys. Because I really don't have access to Mr. Olive (Eagle of Independence, guaranteed Superior Construction, indeed!) and Man of Moods otherwise, and really rely on Jay's ability to bring me the best from those brands.

Alan Bilzerian made an off the cuff remark to me once that I thought was interesting: "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Everyone wants exclusives these days." Because that is the easiest way for a retailer to differentiate itself from the rest of the market. Don't get me wrong. I really like my Common Projects, and I wear my Woolrich jacket every day. But I love my Jutta Neumann and Flathead bracelets, and my Fred Bare Caps, and I wear my Mr. Olive G-type jacket as often as I can. So, this is sort of an entreaty for you to support stores when they step out on a limb. Because if you do, they are more likely to do so more and more often, and we are likely to see a wider variety of brands and pieces.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I look forward to the establishment of the Styleforum Endowment for Eccentric Purchases (SEEP).

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you calling SFers boring? ARE YOU?

I dunno, most of this stuff has grown over the years--when did you say you first posted about EG? 2006? From no availability/presence to total SF domination in a three years seems neither too fast nor too slow. Are you upset at how quickly stuff blows up (geller), or how slowly (Mr. Olive)?

The only remotely independent thing I'm wearing today is ebay'd vintage shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads