• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much do grades factor into MBA admissions?

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Bear in mind that "grades" is just a shorthand term for many things about one's transcript, and should not be simplified to raw GPA alone. "Transcript" is the more appropriate word, because it encompasses:

- GPA

- Areas of focus and subject matter of major

- Sufficiency of preparation in key areas (quant, finance, accounting, etc.)

- Degree of intellectual difficulty of program
* A 4.0 in art history won't be given preference over a 3.6 in a more quantitatively rigorous subject, for instance
* A transcript littered with guts and other GPA-boosters, especially at the expense of more rigorous material, will be a red flag

- Prestige and difficulty of the undergraduate institution itself

Because all of these things go into the mix, it's too simple and incorrect to say that GPA is GPA is GPA.

The depends what you're story is. If you did a political science degree because you were passionate about public policy, got a 3.9, went to work for government for a few years then transferred to business and now want to apply for an MBA, and you communicate that to adcoms, they're not automatically going to give the nod to some kid with a 3.2 in nuclear physics over you or ask you where all your quant classes are.

Adcoms care a lot more about seeing a realistic career trajectory/story in your SOP than they do about seeing that you took a bunch of finance/stats/quant classes.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by micbain
Was this your experience?
Yes. I've also talked to admission staff. While schools obviously differ and I can't say for certain all schools do adjust, some schools show similar sentiment. Example: Canada: http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/informat...ca/canada.aspx To be considered for a place on a postgraduate programme we require a bachelor's degree with average marks of 77% overall (on 0-100 scale), 3.3 (on a 4.0 GPA scale), 7.0 (on a 9.0 GPA system), 3.6 (on 4.3 scale) or 9 (on 0-12 scale) or a lettered grade of B+ overall. Whilst the types of degree awarded vary between Provinces, the degree titles we require are; Bachelor's degree (four years study), Bachelor's degree with Honours, Baccalaureat de type Honours, Professional Doctorate, or Grades Professionelles. A Canadian Master's or Maitrise is suitable for entry to research degree. USA: http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/informat...erica/usa.aspx To be considered for admission to the Graduate School we require a bachelor's degree with a GPA of 3.5 on a 4 point scale, or 4.3 on a 5 point scale or 85% overall. For LSE, the undergrad entrance difference is greater as Canadian's don't need AP or any advanced classes. edit: By no means am I saying a Canadian undergrad gives you an advantage. The admissions staff are smart, know there is a difference in grades and account for it.

micbain

Reaction score
Thank you. I did notice the difference. UBC grad here
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Viktri
Yes. I've also talked to admission staff. While schools obviously differ and I can't say for certain all schools do adjust, some schools show similar sentiment.

Example:

Canada:

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/informat...ca/canada.aspx

To be considered for a place on a postgraduate programme we require a bachelor's degree with average marks of 77% overall (on 0-100 scale), 3.3 (on a 4.0 GPA scale), 7.0 (on a 9.0 GPA system), 3.6 (on 4.3 scale) or 9 (on 0-12 scale) or a lettered grade of B+ overall. Whilst the types of degree awarded vary between Provinces, the degree titles we require are; Bachelor's degree (four years study), Bachelor's degree with Honours, Baccalaureat de type Honours, Professional Doctorate, or Grades Professionelles. A Canadian Master's or Maitrise is suitable for entry to research degree.

USA:

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/informat...erica/usa.aspx

To be considered for admission to the Graduate School we require a bachelor's degree with a GPA of 3.5 on a 4 point scale, or 4.3 on a 5 point scale or 85% overall.

For LSE, the undergrad entrance difference is greater as Canadian's don't need AP or any advanced classes.

edit: By no means am I saying a Canadian undergrad gives you an advantage. The admissions staff are smart, know there is a difference in grades and account for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads