• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much did your 47 dead stock waist and inseam shrink?

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to get an idea of the average.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I normally wear 32 W jeans and they stretch out comfortably. So sizing up one would be a 33W but have you heard more 1 inch waist shrink or 2? I could go 33 as long as that waist stretches from a 31 a good amount to like 33

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not just go by what levi's says? 2 inches in the waist and 2-3 in the inseam. Seems fairly consistent with most other unsanforized jeans out there also.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to hear it from people who bought, not from sellers. The inseam shrink is not clear since it says a may stretch more than 2 inches, possibly 3-4. I just wanted to see if there were many different results.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im normally a 32 waist. Got a 33 in 47s, that shrank after an hour hot soak to a tight 31-32. Have stretched some and no problem buttoningen them now. The inseam didn´t shrink much at all since I pulled it when wet.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My inseam shrunk approx. 2 inches after a hot soak. My waist shrunk about 1 1/2 inches. I'm wearing them now ( still damp ) and trying to 'stretch to fit'.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
My inseam shrunk approx. 2 inches after a hot soak. My waist shrunk about 1 1/2 inches. I'm wearing them now ( still damp ) and trying to 'stretch to fit'.

More questions.. haha, did legs shrink significantly.. will a 13 inch leg opening below the crotch shrink to around 11 or something of that quantity?

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
More questions.. haha, did legs shrink significantly.. will a 13 inch leg opening below the crotch shrink to around 11 or something of that quantity?

No not significantly. I still have room for bunching and enough to cuff them; showing off the selvage. Rise is the same.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a dumb, noobish question - are these inseams sized for shrinkage? If I went to levisstore.com and got some 33x34s, would they have a pre-wash inseam of 37", give or take? If not, and I realize I say this all the time, what the f*** are tall/long-legged people supposed to do? I guess the answers is what it always is - not buy them...
frown.gif

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They shrink from tagged size. I think Levi's is having inseams up to 38" this season, so even tall people should be all right.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
No not significantly. I still have room for bunching and enough to cuff them; showing off the selvage. Rise is the same.

I meant the leg opening below the crotch, aka thigh opening. The entire thigh area in general, i didn't mean to confuse you with leg opening at the bottom. I cycle and sometimes jeans fit too tight in the thighs so i wuold hope the thigh one these dont shrink 2 inches all around.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just think about shrinkage in terms of percentages, not absolute values. If you assume 8% shrinkage all around, 8% of a 34" inseam is way more than 8% of a 26 inch thigh.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
Just think about shrinkage in terms of percentages, not absolute values. If you assume 8% shrinkage all around, 8% of a 34" inseam is way more than 8% of a 26 inch thigh.

Very true. Well, besides their website offering some average quantitative values, do you know of an actual percentage?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, can't help you there. Blue in green says expect 10% on the Samurai S5000VX. I'd assume its gonna be different depending on the denim, so not too sure what it'd be for LVC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads