Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How much did you squat today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Decahedron, Jan 15, 2011.

1. EMY

EMY Senior member

On a side note, as a PSA, could you dudes who do deadlifts please switch over to any other leg exercise? 700+ pounds isnt so impressive but sure does take up a lot of 45 plates i could be usin!

looks like I'm good--I use all those plates for leg press.

2. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Did the following squat progression just for shits and giggles: 1x315 > 10x225 > 1x325 > 15x205 > 1x315 > 20x190.

It was interesting, to say the least. After loading 315, those lighter sets feel like a feather at first, but the last 3 reps are hell. But it was fun, mentally challenging. Gonna increase loads next time I do it.

3. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Also, since when did squats become the holygrail of lifting? I'm trying to get better at them but people need to stop acting as if squats are God's gift.

Since forever. You won't change it.

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Also, since when did squats become the holygrail of lifting? I'm trying to get better at them but people need to stop acting as if squats are God's gift.

The average bro thinks bench is the holygrail of lifting. It's not all that common to see people doing squats at all, much less doing them correctly and with big weight. They're a damn good exercise and do more for your physique than anything except maybe deadlifts, so seeing a little overkill praise is fine to me.

5. jarude

jarude Senior member

they're the biggest lift and involve the most musculature. most programs are built around them, etc. the dudes that know, squat.

tweaked my groin going ATG on a really wide stance squat. cardio for the next few weeks [​IMG]

6. 2balls

2balls Senior member

315x10 3x a week on a hst training routine. gonna up it to 365x5 pretty soon.

7. dissapointedengineer

dissapointedengineer Active Member

315x8x3 was my standard leg workout in college - with a few other exercises tacked on after that I always felt were a waste of time.

Now in my 30's I just can't get back to that weight.. [​IMG] Getting older sucks..

Now it's:
    135x12 warm up
    185x12 warm up
    205x12
    225x10
    250x8

My legs are about the same size today then they were 10 years ago.. guess they respond better to higher reps [​IMG]

8. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Senior member

315 x 8. Can't seem to do anymore and I wish my form was better. You should check out a site like www.bodybuilding.com for videos and tips. One of the main boners is not sitting back and pushing of off your toes instead of your heels. I'm 57 and still have trouble with form.

9. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

bb.com is pretty much the worst lifting site out there.

IronAddicts.com, or buy/torrent Starting Strength by Rippetoe for one of the best beginner lifting guides.

10. christinedaae

christinedaae Senior member

I "cut my teeth" at bodybuilding./com but the broscience is strong there, had to leave.
    Iron addicts is a good site

squatted 475 today, which is what i work out with, with 2 sets with my last set being a super set (20). I can max out over 500 but i can't work out with 500.

Seriously, the bench press is the most overrated exercise known to man. I mean I do it, but like my two best friends will go to the gym and just take turns benching. chicken legs lol.

Squats and dead lifts are the two most important exercises you can do, yet no one wants to do them because they aren't cool.

11. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

I weigh 140, I can squat about 135, and bench 260. Bro-Physique (tm)

12. Nogginn

Nogginn Active Member

Hopefully this won't turn into too much of a chest thumping brofest, but just a fun way to discuss your progress on what is in many circles regarded as perhaps one of (if not the) most important lift.

I'm about 2 months back into lifting (only had lifted about a year beforehand) after a 4 month hiatus, working back towards my personal best. Today i managed 275x5x3. I was pretty excited.

On a side note, as a PSA, could you dudes who do deadlifts please switch over to any other leg exercise? 700+ pounds isnt so impressive but sure does take up a lot of 45 plates i could be usin!

I squated on my arse on a chair. Does that count?

13. Hadrian

Hadrian Well-Known Member

bb.com is pretty much the worst lifting site out there.

Not if you know what you're looking for...

Anyways, today was 405x4 ATG.

14. Wingoose

Wingoose Member

hey, i have a question for a couple of the bigger squatters on this page. how do you guys get pants that fit? especially flat front trousers? i almost always have to get pleated pants because of my thick thighs, and even then the pleats sometimes open up. any brand recommendations? thanks

to answer the OP, i squatted 405 for reps. max is 455. thanks.

15. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

hey, i have a question for a couple of the bigger squatters on this page. how do you guys get pants that fit? especially flat front trousers? i almost always have to get pleated pants because of my thick thighs, and even then the pleats sometimes open up. any brand recommendations? thanks

to answer the OP, i squatted 405 for reps. max is 455. thanks.

size up and have the waist taken in.