• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much did you pay for your wife's/fiancee's engagement ring?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thanks, Cicero.

THREAD CONTINUES TO ******* DELIVER!!

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my wife, my best friend, a loose diamond online. I picked out the ring based on a few notes she dropped over the years of our courtship - rose gold, no halo thing, and "tasteful". I don't blame her for dropping hints, I don't believe she's ever gone more than an hour without it on her finger. Oh, she also told me her ring size only to be off by a whole size (she said a larger size than she needed).

Does she actually love me, or am I being used?

Edit: Also, I spent my first "big boy" paycheck (read: I was nowhere near SF middle class at this time) on the whole ordeal.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bought my wife, my best friend, a loose diamond online. I picked out the ring based on a few notes she dropped over the years of our courtship - rose gold, no halo thing, and "tasteful". I don't blame her for dropping hints, I don't believe she's ever gone more than an hour without it on her finger. Oh, she also told me her ring size only to be off by a whole size (she said a larger size than she needed).

Does she actually love me, or am I being used?

Edit: Also, I spent my first "big boy" paycheck (read: I was nowhere near SF middle class at this time) on the whole ordeal.

Oh, “dropping hints” is totally valid — it implies that she was not demanding any precise ring, she appreciates it’s a gift that ultimately you’ll make the decision about (as you are the gift giver), and she’ll feel lucky to receive it because you love her rather than because it fulfills a material desire.

In other words, “dropping hints” tends to suggest a hope, wish, suggestion, etc., rather than a demand, requirement, condition, etc. It continues to respect the fact that the gift is for the giver to give and not an entitlement or grotesque payment for services.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
How does one wrap into "tradition" the thought this tradition was largely created in the 1930s for DeBeers, and that until the last 20 years or so, DeBeers had a de facto monopoly on the market? Their wholesale manufacturing of this "tradition" is arguably one of the best, most extensive, and enduring marketing campaigns in history.

Prior to the 1930s, presenting a woman with a diamond engagement ring was not the norm. Even on the eve of World War Two, a mere 10% of engagement rings contained diamonds. By the end of the 20th Century, 80% did.

In the 1930s, at the start of the De Beers campaign, a single month's salary was the suggested ring spend. In the 1980s in the US, it became two months. One advert featured a pouting woman, a scarf, a finger, a diamond ring and the words: "Two months' salary showed the future Mrs Smith what the future would be like."

Another did away with the woman, the pout and the finger, leaving only a diamond ring against a black background and the question: "How can you make two months' salary last forever?"

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
“Grotesque payment for services.” :lol:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How does one wrap into "tradition" the thought this tradition was largely created in the 1930s for DeBeers, and that until the last 20 years or so, DeBeers had a de facto monopoly on the market? Their wholesale manufacturing of this "tradition" is arguably one of the best, most extensive, and enduring marketing campaigns in history.

Oh holy ****!!!! Mind blown!!!!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If only that were a cogent response to this assertion of "tradition."

Reactions: RSS

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah im not trying to **** on foo and a tradition doesn't have to reach into antiquity to be valid but making a big stink about a completely corporate-created tradition for something that isn't rare or special is not necessarily something i would associate with an enlightened consumer.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah im not trying to **** on foo and a tradition doesn't have to reach into antiquity to be valid but making a big stink about a completely corporate-created tradition for something that isn't rare or special is not necessarily something i would associate with an enlightened consumer.
I guess by the same token id have to hate on people who associate santa as a fat dude in a red suit thanks to cocacola.

WHICH ONE IS IT EDINA HUH HUH MAKE UP YOUR MIND YOU MILQUETOAST MULLIGAN

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The extrinsic genealogy of a practice does not invalidate whether it has accrued intrinsic value as a tradition—i.e., even if diamond engagement rings or Santa Clause originated from marketing campaigns, it doesn’t mean they have not since became cultural customs of their own merit.

Fake news.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
“Grotesque payment for services.” :lol:

An obligation to provide a specific good as a condition to an agreement is, by definition, a payment. In the context of marriage, it is grotesque—at least with respect to any sort of marriage I’d want to have.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
An obligation to provide a specific good as a condition to an agreement is, by definition, a payment. In the context of marriage, it is grotesque—at least with respect to any sort of marriage I’d want to have.
Never let up with your verbose pomposity, my dude.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It’s telling that you can’t wrap your head around a couple picking out an engagement ring together without it involving the woman demanding it out of entitlement.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It’s telling that you can’t wrap your head around the scenario of a couple picking out an engagement ring together without it somehow involving the woman demanding it out of entitlement.

Lol

It’s telling you can’t wrap your mind around (1) why being upset with a gift not to one’s liking evinces entitlement and (2) why there is a difference between a gift recipient demanding control over a gift versus a gift giver, at his or her own discretion, offering the gift recipient the opportunity to help pick it out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads