1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How much did you pay for your wife's/fiancee's engagement ring?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by merkur, Nov 26, 2011.

1. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I was speaking with a girl from Belgium and she said that diamond engagement rings are uncommon on the continent. She mentioned a story of how one of her classmates studied also in the US and bought a diamond engagement ring with the proposal and thought that custom quite odd.

2. svelten

svelten Senior member

$7.5k. Gonna be a relatively small and inexpensive wedding to balance it out. Thought paying a bit more for a material item that would be worn for a lifetime supersedes the ridiculous expenditures some people put into a single day.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Certainly one reason to hitch a non-American outside America. But we aren't the only country with "odd" wedding rituals.

4. deejaysoy

deejaysoy Senior member

7k blue nike and shipped to Portland, OR. No tax.

5. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Just under $1000 for a custom designed ring, using all recycled gold, and mostly recycled diamonds (7 very small ones). Had to buy one small diamond, and a large, oval sapphire for the centre stone. Lucky for me, my wife preferred a blue sapphire.

6. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just as with clothing, "custom" can mean a lot of different things when it comes to jewelry. $1,000 is very low, even if just counting the gold or platinum for the setting and the labor to craft it.

7. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

About $5.5K -- Loose diamond bought from wholesaler and then a simple setting.

The wedding itself was relatively inexpensive and like Svelten, I am happy I put more of the ring because I get to see it every day and so does she.

Quick advice:

1) Go through a reputable wholesaler (Blue Nile, Brian Gavin, etc.)
    2) Find a diamond within your budget that is as big as you can afford without sacrificing cut.
    3) Go on Pricescope and let their regular posters tell if you if your pick is good or not. Those guys are to diamonds what Styleforum is to menswear.

8. mafoofan

Pricescope is a good place to learn about the stone, but I would keep in mind that not all settings are equal. Whether simple or more complex, there are is a wide range of workmanship available. Personally, I think it's silly to spend thousands of dollars on a diamond, only to then cram it into a ready-made or made-to-order setting that the jeweler calls "custom" on the mere basis of having moved the prongs to and fro.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

They like fun socks and hill billy clothing?

10. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

Uhh... I was referring more to the level of interest displayed by members. Pricescope has, just like Styleforum, its fair share of fans of the gaudy and trendy.

11. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Custom, in this case, meaning the jewelry equivalent of full bespoke. I knew she would want a Victorian design, and there was really only one way t get one. And yes, it's very low; I was quite lucky to have fund this jeweler; the matching band, shaped to wrap around the ring's setting, was about $250 for design and labour.

12. mafoofan

What do you mean the band was "wrapped around the ring's setting?" Are you saying the seat/prongs for the diamond were pre-made?

The equivalent of full-bespoke in jewelry would mean all parts of the ring are handwrought (bent and soldered into shape from gold or platinum wire) or made from a custom, one-off mould. No part should be pre-made. It is particularly important that pave settings are handwrought, as each individual pave stone is different in size and cannot be fitted into standardized spaces without leaving gaps.

13. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Both were made from custom molds, carved by hand from wax. All of the settings are bezels. The general shape of the engagement ring setting is oval, so the band was made to curve around t perfectly. Her bnad is on top, her e-ring in the middle, and my band on the bottom - which was also hand machined to my specs, by a different goldsmith; there's a detail at the edge but you can't really see it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Have this man make it:

[​IMG]

15. mafoofan

I actually went to Taffin in NYC to discuss my wife's engagement ring years ago. Minus the stone, it would have been about $10k.

The problem with a place like Taffin or JAR or Verdura is that they are really about haute design. An engagement ring, which tends to center on a single large center stone, doesn't really need that kind of innovation. There are only so many ways to hold up a diamond. It comes down to craftsmanship more than design.

16. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Like anything, the pricing there, I am sure, includes name recognition, and location, if it's in a high end retail area. As with clothing, you can (and it would seem you did) find equal, or higher, quality for less, by looking around and doing your, seemingly extensive, research.

I just reread my old post and realized where it was confusing. The wedding band had to be shaped around the e-ring setting is because I, quite foolishly, forgot to get the wedding band mould made up at the same time as the engagement ring. I didn't have to buy any gold for her ring; all recycled from heirloom, or no longer worn, pieces from my grandmother, mom, and sister. I also think being in a suburb of Vancouver, rather than in NYC, affected the price.

17. Powertrip

Powertrip Well-Known Member

I'll be subbed to this thread for the good advice. Thanks, gentlemen.

18. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

That's the easy assumption, which is true for brands living on yesterday's success. Many of them are not charging the huge premiums assumed if you are comparing apples to apples. Most people just arrive at that conclusion because they are comparing a top grade stone and hand wrought platinum setting to their local jeweler's 'version' which eliminates many of the details which make the first one more expensive.

19. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Just got engaged. Here is the ring.
    [​IMG]

20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Congrats brah!

1 person likes this.