• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much did you pay for that?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HelloIDistance
Just had the best chicken fajitas in the world.

what did you pay for it?
eh.gif

linkinwayne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
It's not that I don't trust them. How is this even an issue of trust? It's not confidential or delicate information. I don't care if some idiot thinks my bag is too expensive, but I don't really want my mom freaking out about how much money I spend. I come from a pretty poor family.

+1 to that. I buy with my own cash, but I still kinda hide prices from my mom if she asks. Mostly because it shocks her

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by linkinwayne
I used to get tired of answering this too, but I've recently taken to keeping tags on and adjusting them so they can be seen from the outside. In addition, I usually circle/highlight the price for easier viewing

I just try to remember to leave the receipts in the pockets of whatever I'm wearing so I can pull them out and show them to people whenever they ask.

*#..

Reaction score
My friends don't really ask. I dress SF-approved, while they definitely do not. If someone asks where I bought something, I just say it was one of these: 1) it was a present, 2) i thrifted/bought from some store in San Francisco, 3) i paid (insert half of what i paid for said item here) for it, 4) i bought it from revolveclothing (only more urban-style clothing like CP's, jackets, etc). Works fine every time, especially the San Francisco response

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I sometimes give a range, knowing full well that I paid the top of that range. So if the jeans retail for $300 and I paid $200, I might say, "something like $100-200". I might add some justification like I got them on a sale, or hunted around for just the right thing and finally found them, or got them on vacation, etc if I think the person will assume I regularly spend that much and then will either think I'm an idiot or loaded.

Krp480

Reaction score
You don't get away with saying "I spent $300 on jeans" in highschool. One of my friends bought a pair of true religions (yuck), at retail (**** HIM), so bunch of kids made fun of him. Got what he deserved though just because he paid retail, and for a pair of jeans that are usually discounted and **** quality.

But, I will never tell the price to any of my friends unless they are kids I know won't ever say anything.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont get the question often, but when i do, i usually say roughly half of what i actually paid, which still seems to be too much to most people (and i buy pretty much nothing baller or at retail)

usually its 'where did you get x' rather than how much it cost

gotlighters

Reaction score
I feel awkward when they ask me that because if I give them the price, iI dont want them to think "he paid that much for THAT?!?!"

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ermac
The average joe chooses not to spend $300 for a pair of Somets, let alone $100 for a pair of jeans.
Sorry, huge pet peeve -- the more preposterous option comes after "let alone," e.g. "he wouldn't spend $100 on jeans, let alone $300."

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krp480
You don't get away with saying "I spent $300 on jeans" in highschool. One of my friends bought a pair of true religions (yuck), at retail (**** HIM), so bunch of kids made fun of him. Got what he deserved though just because he paid retail, and for a pair of jeans that are usually discounted and **** quality.

But, I will never tell the price to any of my friends unless they are kids I know won't ever say anything.

what the ****? why does it matter how much he spends on his jeans? most of the morons I knew in high school spent hundreds of dollars on stereos for their cars which were bound to die in a few years anyway.

Krp480

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
what the ****? why does it matter how much he spends on his jeans? most of the morons I knew in high school spent hundreds of dollars on stereos for their cars which were bound to die in a few years anyway.

IDGAF how much he spends, I may have made it seem that way in my post before, but to be honest if he wants to piss his money away like that so be it. He got made fun of for it. And I was just trying to make a point, that where I go to school the more you pay for clothes the more you get made fun of. Ironically though, more than half the kids there have parents who probably spend ridiculous amounts on clothes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads