• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How much coffee is all right?

Berticus

Reaction score
I suppose you could say I'm a bit afraid of coffee. My mom relies heavily on coffee to keep her awake, and I never want to get to that point. However, after listening to some friends talking about coffee, my interest has peaked. I decided I would read up on coffee advantages/disadvantages and myths. A lot of sources say that drinking coffee moderately isn't bad, and can actually be quite healthy, but none ever specify what is moderate. So anybody actually know what is a moderate amount? Or for people who know they're not dependent on the caffeine, how much do you drink? Also, how do you prevent staining? I mean I understanding drinking in the morning, and then brushing your teeth right afterwards, but if you were to drink tea/coffee mid day, what do you do?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I probably average 3 shots of espresso a day. Just brush your teeth in the morning and night and you should be fine...I have never gotten any coffee stains on my teeth.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Berticus, out of curiousity how old are you?

When I was 20 I had the exact same thoughts. It annoyed me that my mom was "addicted" to coffee. I even said to her that she was addicted. For some reason this really upset her. Meanwhile I didn't ever want to get into that situation.

20 years later... hahahaha. Oops. Guess what?

Caffeine is a stimulant. If you drink it every day and then stop, you'll most likely get a headache for a couple of days as a withdrawal symptom.

But in the meantime... it's known to help in the creative process. Hugh Hefner used to drink tons of Pepsi every day while he was cranking up his magazine.

Balzac drank liters while writing from midnight to 10am.

Rossini only drank coffee for periods of 15 to 20 days, only while writing an opera.

I've had great conversations with Nobel Prize winners and Great Beauties... all amped a bit by coffee.

For "store bought" coffee, Starbucks is on the very high end in terms of mgs of caffeine.

I sometimes drink 2 cups of regular coffee a day. Sometimes I hold off so I can get more creative with it when I need it.

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love coffee. I used to be a coffee roaster. One of the last few legal drugs. Fill 'er up!

Berticus

Reaction score
I'm 20. Funny, my mom too got really offended when we said she was addicted to it.

I was thinking about getting into brewing my own coffee using a press pot or vacpot. Self indulgence and pampering through complex processes and atd often intrigue me. One reason I got into fashion/styling, straight razor shaving and eating very dark chocolate (up to 88%, moving to cocoa nibs). So the idea of indulging in your own exquisite homebrew coffee and tea somehow seems, to me, fun I guess. I don't know how to describe it. Fun isn't quite the feeling I get. So really, I'm not in it for the caffeine, just the process and hopefully the taste. I will add that it's quite inspiring to see many people energized and become more creative when drinking.

I'm guessing it won't take me long to get into the taste since I'm already into very dark chocolate and like the bitterness. I tried licorice recently and I found that I actually enjoyed eating it. Last time I had eaten it I didn't really like it.

Once I clear my head of these caveats, I'll probably just dive right in. Look up different brewing processes. Check out different beans, roasts, how finely grounded I can make (or get) the beans and how they all affect the taste of the coffee.

jefe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ritchee
I love coffee. I used to be a coffee roaster. One of the last few legal drugs. Fill 'er up!

+1. Coffee is a gift from the spirits.

AintDatRite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Berticus
So anybody actually know what is a moderate amount?

Two cups of coffee is generally considered 'healthy' and provides the following 'benefits':

1) Reduced Gall Stones
2) Reduced Risk for Alzheimer's Disease
3) Reduced Risk for Parkinson's Disease
4) Antioxidants and Cancer-Fighting Properties
5) Increased Cognitive Ability
6) Bowel Stimulation
7) Reduced Risk for Gout
8) Increased Weight Loss and Metabolism
9) Better Brain Function
10) Reduced Risk for Type 2 Diabetes

Coffee: It Does a Body Good™

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I drink 2-3 cups every morning, but only in the morning.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stop overthinking it and being a pussy

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you get light headed and black out when you stand up, then your doing good.

Berticus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
When you get light headed and black out when you stand up, then your doing good.

Sounds like fun! Anyway, thanks for the responses. Guess I'll be moving on to reading about coffee brewing. Does anybody have any particular websites they'd like to recommend?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coffee is good. Kona Fancy A or Blue Mountain Jamaican on the weekends made in a press. Folgers contruction worker brewed during the week. (Twice the coffee, same amount of water is construction worker grade LOL) I live on coffee.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really love the Toddy Cold Press system. Add course ground coffee of your choice, add water, wait about 12 hours, enjoy a concentrate that produces 1.5 liters of coffee (when mixed with more water). That concentrate is really strong, but the coffee will have no acid, which is the major issue people tend to have with coffee. For instance, I find Starbucks to be too acidic.

Stop overthinking it and being a pussy
+1. I went to a very competitive high school and college. I couldn't imagine lasting as long as you without stimulants. You don't drink tea, Coke, Mountain Dew, Game Fuel, Chocolate?

Berticus

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I'll look into a Toddy coffee press. I've read Kona a bunch of places, so I suppose they'll be my first experience.
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
+1. I went to a very competitive high school and college. I couldn't imagine lasting as long as you without stimulants. You don't drink tea, Coke, Mountain Dew, Game Fuel, Chocolate?
Didn't used to. First semester of college when finals were coming up, I was a tad behind, so I stayed up 5 days in a row on sure will power, would've gone longer but I started hallucinating. Well worth it too, because I got all A's on those assignments and tests. After that incident I found it very difficult to last more than 48 hours without sleep. Now I have a hard time just pull all nighters.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Berticus
Thanks for the info, I'll look into a Toddy coffee press. I've read Kona a bunch of places, so I suppose they'll be my first experience. Didn't used to. First semester of college when finals were coming up, I was a tad behind, so I stayed up 5 days in a row on sure will power, would've gone longer but I started hallucinating. Well worth it too, because I got all A's on those assignments and tests. After that incident I found it very difficult to last more than 48 hours without sleep. Now I have a hard time just pull all nighters.
Sounds like old age is catching up to you quickly. Caffeine and Adderall are you best friends in college, especially in grad school when you are older. The Toddy, and cold brewing in general, has been rated the best method by the Washington Post and WSJ. I like it because it's effortless. Let the coffee soak, drain and you have a week worth of coffee (depending on how much you drink) that lasts for 2 weeks in the fridge. The kit sells for under $30 on Amazon and requires no hot water or electricity. You can drink it cold, or stick a cup in the microwave to serve hot. It can make any kind of coffee, including Expresso, as long as you get the beans coarse ground. Because the acid is almost removed completely, the coffee will taste a bit different than with other methods (I like the French Press too). I don't care for overly acidic (or burnt) coffee, so I used to load my coffee with loads of sugar. Cold brew coffee brews sweeter and I find that I don't use sugar in my coffee anymore. Also, no more stomach discomfort. Kona coffee is the best you can buy but it is pretty pricey. 12oz. of beans are about $20+. There is a world of coffees out there, experiment, but stay away from the flavored stuff (it's flavored to hide cheap beans). Find a hardcore coffee place (there is one in every city) and have fun. Some of these places carry hundreds of varieties.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 123 15.6%
  • 31 - 40