• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much clothing is really enough?

sanrensho

Reaction score
Hard question to answer, for sure...when it comes to nice clothes, it's almost like asking "how much money is enough?"

In my wife's case, it's never enough (which for me means there's never enough money)

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The issue with having a small rotation is that if one of your favorite quality items wears out, it's a bit frustrating. I'm considering now buying more than 1 of the same item if I see a good deal as long as it's a basic. The only thing I will not stop buying are goofy sneakers and cufflinks because they make me happy.

paddymcpaddy

Reaction score
This is all really great info everyone, thanks. I didn't want to peek my head in too early and stop all the wonderful replies! I'm definitely aiming for simplicity, and going with a "less is more" attitude, so culling a lot of things is difficult to say the least -- but, I feel, necessary.

I've been giving a lot of thought lately to spending more money on really great things that last longer than less on more things that I just stop wearing after awhile. This way, I'll not only look great (hopefully!) in things that last longer AND develop the patina mentioned earlier, but also have less in numbers as well.

I must say, though, for some bizarre reason I've always been intrigued by the idea of opening my closet and having a "Bond-like" wardrobe to choose from. A great number of suits, and shirts, but all the same color. Ah, simplicity.

Thanks for sharing.

palladio211

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
The issue with having a small rotation is that if one of your favorite quality items wears out, it's a bit frustrating. I'm considering now buying more than 1 of the same item if I see a good deal as long as it's a basic.

I have too many clothes in my closet but a fairly small "rotation" as you put it. I've bought a lot of stuff over the years but always seem to end up wearing a few favorites most of the time - because they're the most comfortable, fit the best, are easy to pair with other things, etc.

I have a hard time making myself toss anything though, because I look at some expensive item that I bought years ago, maybe wore once or twice, and I feel guilty about it. I then convince myself that at some point I will get around to wearing it, and so it stays at the back of my closet taking up space.

My favorite items do get worn out from use, so recently I have taken to buying multiple copies of something if I really like it. The other issue is that with today's short production cycles, I've gone back a few years later to buy a replacement for favorite shoes or a shirt I have worn out, only to find that model or style is no longer made. So I now consider tucking a few extras away for that reason as well.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been aiming for a smaller wardrobe for years. I would really like to have a very simple, spartan wardrobe, about half the size of my largest wardrobe. as things wear out, or don't fit, I am replacing them with less and less.

to put a number on it - I aim for 12 suits, each with 2 pants. 20 shirts, 16 ties, 4 odd coats (2 blazers, 1 tweed, 1 madras), 5 winter odd pants, 5 summer odd pants, 10 casual shirts, 4 sweaters, 5 pairs of shoes, 2 pair casual shoes, 20 pair underwear, 20 pair socks. on top of that, workout clothes, and outerwear. that's it.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
to put a number on it - I aim for 12 suits, each with 2 pants. 20 shirts, 16 ties, 4 odd coats (2 blazers, 1 tweed, 1 madras), 5 winter odd pants, 5 summer odd pants, 10 casual shirts, 4 sweaters, 5 pairs of shoes, 2 pair casual shoes, 20 pair underwear, 20 pair socks. on top of that, workout clothes, and outerwear. that's it.

Light on neckties if you wear them daily, could use a few more shirts and there is DJ but otherwise very reasonable IMO.

A solid mid-sized wardrobe is about double those numbers.

lithium180

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I have been aiming for a smaller wardrobe for years. I would really like to have a very simple, spartan wardrobe, about half the size of my largest wardrobe. as things wear out, or don't fit, I am replacing them with less and less.

These seem like very sensible numbers.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Light on neckties if you wear them daily, could use a few more shirts and there is DJ but otherwise very reasonable IMO.

I forgot - I am hoping my DJ will last me the rest of my life, along with my overcoats and outerwear.

ties is a real struggle - I had maybe 100 a few years ago, then cut that down to 30, and I want to cut it even farther - I would love to be able to cut down to maybe 6, but I am not able to. the lowest number I can imagine is 16, but I don't know if I will be able to.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

See I'd say 4 suits /10 shirts /10 ties /3 pair of shoes would be fine so it all depends on what you like.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
Man all you guys are depressing, you all want to get rid of your clothes. I'll take your nice suits, shirts, shoes and ties if you don't want them. I'm in a suit pretty much 7 days a week. I want at least 100 suits and 100+ pairs of shoes. I just designed a new closet for myself 26' by 22' and I intend to fill the whole thing, and then add-on.
smile.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been culling my wardrobe for the last couple of months. I had too much of what I didn't like. I guess I filled about 8 garbage bags of clothing for charity - suits, shirts, shoes, and lots of casual stuff. More culling needs to be done but so far I'm pleased with the result. I'm left with items that fit well and are of good to excellent quality. I still have quite a bit left, but they are the items that I really like and wear.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Alas, I'll probably always be light-weight in your eyes, then. Twenty four suits sounds like way more than I could ever find useful--mostly because I'd prefer to wear a sportcoat whenever possible and I don't really itch for interesting looking suits to begin with. I honestly think 6-12 would be enough to make me happy.

I can see buying more sportcoats. But again, 6-12 would probably be sufficient. I would, however, like to have dozens of shirts--all more or less the same. That would include a two or three white shirts for when they're a must, two dozen solid blue shirts, a dozen blue OCBDs, and another dozen blue-and-white striped OCBDs.

Six to eight pairs of shoes would be enough for me. Mostly brownish colors. One black pair.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm happy with 1 solid blue shirt, thats really nice, maybe two, one with french cuffs one without.

with a rotation of shirts, how can one justify having 12 of the same color?

To each his own, but it seems a bit excessive to me.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
with a rotation of shirts, how can one justify having 12 of the same color?

So that they last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads