• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much can they raise my rent?

Man In Space

Reaction score
My wife and I rent but we do not have a lease. The owner is selling the place and word has it that the new owner plans to raise the rent by almost 30% immediately.
plain.gif

The current rent is a bit below the local average but that's a big jump for us. Are there any limits or restrictions on rent increases? I'm in California if that matters.

Thanks to anyone who has any info.

Man In Space

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevejobs
unless you live in a rent controlled apartment, the landlord can raise it as high as he wants. You're only choice is to pay or leave.

Thanks...Do they need to give a certain amount of notice, like 30 days for example?

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man In Space
Thanks...Do they need to give a certain amount of notice, like 30 days for example?
Yes, 30 days.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How often do you pay rent? Just like ^ said, probably 30 days notice.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man In Space
...I'm in California if that matters...
Where are you in California? Some rents in the beach areas here have recently gone up over 50%... This makes it tougher to play the boulevardier...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my renewal just came today and my rent is being raised by.... $15 after 18 months.
laugh.gif
Montreal kicks ass. I could even refuse the increase, but it's not woth the hassle for me, plus the landlord has continued to improve the apartment in significant ways, so i wouldn't on principle either.

Man In Space

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Where are you in California? Some rents in the beach areas here have recently gone up over 50%...

This makes it tougher to play the boulevardier...

Monrovia.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would check whether your municipality/county/state, etc. have any controlls on how much rent can be raised in your area. In my jurisdiction it is very difficult to raise rents that much and very difficult to evict paying tenants. But, you should check the laws in your own jurisdiction and if necessary consult an attorney familiar with the laws of your jurisdiction and not rely on advice you get over the internet.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
but why shouldn't the new landlord be allowed to raise it as much as he or she wants with no existing agreement in place

Rent control

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am surprised the landlord can raise it by that much. This may be the result of a change in ownership clause that allows new landlords to renegotiate lease agreements. That said, it still sounds steep and I doubt the rent can be raised so much on an annual basis even without a lease.

The laws are obviously different everywhere but after their leases expire, my tenants can choose to go on a month-to-month lease where they don't need to sign anything and can terminate with 60 days notice. The only way I can kick them out is if I need the place for myself or an immediate family member.

The annual rent increases are controlled and this year was only 1.9% iirc
plain.gif
That said, once a long-time tenant leaves, I am free raise the rent to market value. Something which is nearly impossible to do in Montreal which is probably the most tenant-oriented jusrisdiction that I know. Bad for business and real-estate investment but good deals for tenants like GQgeek, some of whom spend their lives renting because it's so cheap.

Man In Space

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
You don't have a lease? I'm no law-stylist, but why shouldn't the new landlord be allowed to raise it as much as he or she wants with no existing agreement in place? Also, who doesn't have a lease?

boxing[1].gif

smile.gif

Well, I never said they shouldn't be allowed to - in fact I do not belive in rent control/regulation in principle. I was just wondering (for my own protection/self-interest) if there were any laws in place to prevent or limit increases.

I'm sure I'm not the only person in the world w/o a lease. The original owner (who passed a way a few months ago) built and owned the house for 50 years and he was an old-school handshake kind of guy who wouldn't do leases. We liked the place so much that we felt it was worth not having the security of a lease. Once he passed his family decided to sell and the new prospective owner has suggested the rent increase.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, if you decide to stay, I'd get a lease from the new guy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads