• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much can pants be let out?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that this question has been answered before, but, how much can pants safely be let out? I'm looking at a Zegna suit in a plain charcoal that will make a good staple, but the pants are a little tight. The jacket fits me perfectly, but the pants might need to be let out by as much as 1". Will this affect the cut (or whatever the term is) of the pants significantly, or is 1" not that big of a deal. Normally, I would just move on, but I really like the way the coat fits me and it's hard to find plain charcoal with any kind of a discount (Saks is giving me 20% off).

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I'm sure that this question has been answered before, but, how much can pants safely be let out? I'm looking at a Zegna suit in a plain charcoal that will make a good staple, but the pants are a little tight. The jacket fits me perfectly, but the pants might need to be let out by as much as 1". Will this affect the cut (or whatever the term is) of the pants significantly, or is 1" not that big of a deal. Normally, I would just move on, but I really like the way the coat fits me and it's hard to find plain charcoal with any kind of a discount (Saks is giving me 20% off).

1 inch in either direction will not effect the pants.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
1 inch in either direction will not effect the pants.

Even if it includes the waist and the seat (assuming that there's enough material in the seat to let them out that much)?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1" isn't that big a deal, you should be fine including the seat (if there is enough material)

bbhues

Reaction score
Five year anniversary of the last post on this thread. What happens if there is no more fabric to let out in the seat? Is there anything I can do to give me an extra .75"?

tgt465

Reaction score
No. Return the pants, or exercise and lose some weight.

Aldehyde

Reaction score
If you are desperate you could take material from the hem and sew a panel into the seat seam - you are getting into some pretty janky territory there though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads