• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much can made-to-measure change the existing pattern?

rhb57

Reaction score
Suppose I have a suit that looks like the slim model below, is it possible to get an extra slim model via Made-to-Measure?
Untitled.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That looks like SuitSupply. I don't know what changes they make from slim to extra slim. Some factories are able to accommodate more changes than others, so it's best to talk to the company you're interested in and see what they can do for you. '

That said, I recommend avoiding anything described as extra slim.

rhb57

Reaction score
That looks like SuitSupply. I don't know what changes they make from slim to extra slim. Some factories are able to accommodate more changes than others, so it's best to talk to the company you're interested in and see what they can do for you. '

That said, I recommend avoiding anything described as extra slim.
You are right, I got this picture from SuitSupply, although I'm not a fan of their craftsmanship, I do like that extra slim cut called Washington.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You are right, I got this picture from SuitSupply, although I'm not a fan of their craftsmanship, I do like that extra slim cut called Washington.

The Washington will be about more than just a slim cut. It will be defined by its silhouette, which is made up of many things.

If you like how the Washington looks on you, I would go with that and not get hung up on "craftsmanship."

Another company will not be able to replicate the Washington cut for you.

rhb57

Reaction score
The Washington will be about more than just a slim cut. It will be defined by its silhouette, which is made up of many things.

If you like how the Washington looks on you, I would go with that and not get hung up on "craftsmanship."

I have several Canali drop 8 slim suits but they still look relatively conservative imho. What I really want is a deeper cut into the waist so it resembles that hourglass shape, do you think Canali would be able to do that if I chose their MTM program?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have several Canali drop 8 slim cut suit but they still look relatively conservative imho, and what I really want is a deeper cut into the waist so it resembles that hourglass shape, do you think Canali would be able to do that if I chose their MTM program?

You want to take in the waist beyond a drop 8? At some point, the proportions will start to look off.

Taking in the waist, even on ready to wear, is standard procedure. But you can only take in the waist so much, whether in RTW or MTM, before you have to re-cut the pattern. MTM is made off of blocks (meaning patterns). When you go to MTM, they adjust the block depending on your build and preferences. But there's only so much deviation they can do. Best to talk to Canali, but I recommend not taking in the waist too much.

rhb57

Reaction score
You want to take in the waist beyond a drop 8? At some point, the proportions will start to look off.

Taking in the waist, even on ready to wear, is standard procedure. But you can only take in the waist so much, whether in RTW or MTM, before you have to re-cut the pattern. MTM is made off of blocks (meaning patterns). When you go to MTM, they adjust the block depending on your build and preferences. But there's only so much deviation they can do. Best to talk to Canali, but I recommend not taking in the waist too much.

Honestly, my dream cut is Tom Ford shelton but that costs 5k at least. I think the Washington cut from SuSu is probably a copycat cause it even has 5 sleeve buttons. The reason I'm thinking about Canali MTM is that I don't want to go down from the quality of Canali to SuSu.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have several Canali drop 8 slim suits but they still look relatively conservative imho. What I really want is a deeper cut into the waist so it resembles that hourglass shape, do you think Canali would be able to do that if I chose their MTM program?
No. You have an unrealistic perspective of MTM and how it works

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. You have an unrealistic perspective of MTM and how it works

I really wish I had your ability to communicate clearly and concisely. It would have taken me at least 4 paragraphs and hundreds of words to not convey that message as effectively...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really wish I had your ability to communicate clearly and concisely. It would have taken me at least 4 paragraphs and hundreds of words to not convey that message as effectively...

Try slimming your sentences.

rhb57

Reaction score
Pls elaborate, I'm always willing to learn?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Man, truth hurts.
Patterns used to cut MTM garments have a silhouette. This is the DNA of the garment. Cutting a MTM garment uses your measurements as the guidelines of the sizing, lengths, girth of the garment. Changing the waist girth does not impact the inherent silhouette or create the effect you want to achieve. There may be more than one way to cut an hourglass look on your body type. It may require drape in the chest and flaring the skirt. No one knows or can assume to know without knowing the pattern and how it renders itself on your body type.
If you find a MTM house with a model that has an hour glass silhouette, try them. You will have a better chance of succeeding to find the look you want. Your experience with an 8” drop Canali didn’t give you the look you want because it’s not the silhouette you want.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Had a writer friend in Dallas years ago. I was struggling to write something and told him I was stuck and struggling how to to write it. He asked me “ What do you want to say? Just write what you want to say.” It has stuck with me and haven’t had the struggle since. Not claiming to have any writing skills, I just don’t fret about it or over think it any more. Whatever comes out is what you get!

rhb57

Reaction score
Had a writer friend in Dallas years ago. I was struggling to write something and told him I was stuck and struggling how to to write it. He asked me “ What do you want to say? Just write what you want to say.” It has stuck with me and haven’t had the struggle since. Not claiming to have any writing skills, I just don’t fret about it or over think it any more. Whatever comes out is what you get!

You still hurt my feelings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads