• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how much can func buttonhole sleeves be extended?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's a question for the tailoring experts-- can a good tailor (like the custom tailor I like in Atlanta, for example) tailor sleeves of a jacket with functional buttonholes to EXTEND the length by about a quarter inch?

It's not the end of the world either way, but ideally it would be cool to lengthen the sleeves of my first "vintage item" approx 1/4 inch.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on how much the sleeve extends past the last button hole. It could look funny even if it could be done.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it is a three button sleeve-- think it could stand to be a quarter inch longer?

TC11201

Reaction score
At least in my experience, the distance between the first button hole and the sleeve hem varies considerably according to individual tailor - based on a random sampling of my suits / jackets, it looks like the distance varies between 7/8" and a little over 1.5". None look odd or strangely out of balance and would be unnoticeable to virtually all observers, except those with a special sleeve fetish or a measuring tape. I'd say that unless there is a considerable amount of space between the button hole and hem already (say 1.5"), you could comfortably lengthen the sleeve 1/4" without angering the sartorial gods.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
it is a three button sleeve-- think it could stand to be a quarter inch longer?

If you think it will look funny extended another quarter inch, couldn't you also add another buttonhole and button? Because it's only a three button sleeve, making it a four button would probably not make it look bad. Making a four become a five would, but three to four seems okay.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point, Z-- but then I'd have to replace the entire set of buttons, as I don't have two spares with the suit. I'll keep that in mind, however, the tailor may suggest the same thing. In the meantime, sounds like i just might be able to get away with a quarter inch more, once I take a look and a measurement of the distance between the final button and sleeve edge (and compare with other jackets, as another poster brought up).

Thanks, guys! Really looking forward to this item, it is both my first vintage purchase and will be my only tweed-ish jacket.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think in this instance, 1/4" would really be neglible. I'm sure it can be done if there is extra fabric. If the ancillary question is if it would look good, I don't see how anyone would see the difference, and yes, it would look perfectly fine.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had this done and it worked out okay; but it wasn't let out much.

southbound35

Reaction score
When I was reading the question and saw that you mentioned there were three buttons, my first thought was the same as z's (adding another button/hole). Then, after seeing the picture, I think you could either lenghten or add button/hole to each sleeve.

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what jacket is that? I got a CK vintage that looks almost exactly like it with the same kinda buttons, but no working buttonholes
frown.gif

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bean--
this one is actually a suit, which i plan to wear seperately (MAYBE as a suit once in a while in the winter to church or something. not like i have a country estate to tootle around wearing this suit), from douglas hayward of savile row. all the measurements seemed to match mine perfectly, except for the quarter inch of length on the sleeves (which may work out fine as is, had I been advised against the 1/4 inch sleeve lengthening).

thanks for all the good advice, i think i will go ahead with this operation and hope for the best!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads