How much butter do you use in your cooking?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by BrooklynHighpost, Aug 29, 2009.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I like to fry eggs in butter then use the leftover grease to cook the bacon in.

Deliciously unhealthy.

I go the other way, fry the bacon, reserve to let dry and crisp a bit, and then dump most of the bacon fat out and fry the eggs in that. There is of course option C, fry bacon, use bacon grease to start up your gravy and add some breakfast sausage, break it up and brown in pan, a spoon or two of flour, and some milk, you got some gravy too. Add eggs and toast and you'll be pretty set for the day.

2. oroy38

oroy38 Senior member

I've done all of those too. Either way, as long as there's bacon grease or butter on something, it's delicious.

3. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

I like to fry eggs in butter then use the leftover grease to cook the bacon in.

Deliciously unhealthy.

Cook the other way, use the bacon fat to cook the eggs [​IMG]

4. oroy38

oroy38 Senior member

Haha I just did it about 20 minutes ago for dinner. DELICIOUS.

Do you ever save the leftover grease that congeals? It makes your eggs bacony and your bacon even more bacony. It's like eating straight up cholesterol.

5. BrooklynHighpost

BrooklynHighpost Senior member

Depends on how much you eat. If you eat three square meals a day, no butter for you. If you eat one pool of oatmeal daily at noon, add a quarter stick.

I actually eat pretty healthy, no soda, no ice cream. Mostly vegetable, fish, bean products like tofu. Occasionally will cook up some steak and shrimp, thats when the butter comes in. After discovering the aroma of butter in steak and shrimp, can't get away from it.

6. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

7. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Cook most everything in butter or bacon grease. Only use EVOO for a certain few dishes, and Canola for high-heat frying and searing.

After cooking in butter and bacon fat for quite a while now, I find the taste of Canola oil nasty.

8. modern_leifeng

modern_leifeng Senior member

I cook mostly Asian food, so butter rarely gets used, but if I'm switching it up and going with a steak or a French dish, then the butter comes out. There are a lot of dishes that definitely require butter and as long as your other meals are healthy and you work out, there's no reason to fear butter.

9. King Francis

King Francis Senior member

I use mostly extra virgin olive oil, but butter is delicious and at times essential.

10. Soth

Soth Member

My general opinion is that the amount of fat and what sort should be decided by what kind of dish you're making. Since I'm scandinavian (and/or ignorant) I don't have a clue as to what EVOO is but it sounds nasty, butter is healthy as long as it's consumed in a healthy and appropriate amount, just like pretty much everything else in cooking.

I use extra virgine olive oil when I'm cooking vegetables or prehaps doing potatos in the oven. When it comes to meat such as steak, beef and pork butter is the natural chocie since it both brings out the flavour of the meat and adds to it. For chicken I use a mix of ½ Canola Oil and ½ Butter, this combines the high-heat frying property with the taste of the butter.

11. auto_pilot

auto_pilot Well-Known Member

I mainly use olive oil.

12. King Francis

King Francis Senior member

I don't have a clue as to what EVOO is but it sounds nasty [. . .] I use extra virgine [sic] olive oil

Hmm.

13. my0gr81

my0gr81 Member

Butter is good for you. Margarine is shit for you.

+1. haven't bought margarine in at least 7 yrs now. Only use butter, olive oil and canola oil for cooking and eating. We used to keep a tub of the spreadable margarine for toast, but keeping the butter into one of those clay butter keepers provides the same convenience with better taste.

We do use unrefined palm oil in some of our African cooking, but again, very little as much of it is to impart a taste profile to the food. Besides, everything in moderation can't be that bad.

14. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

Hmm.
    I wonder how long until it takes before he realizes.. I use, well, let's just be mean, EVOO primarily when i cook. I'd suggest getting a higher quality and it doesn't have to be organic. Organic olive oil is pretty ridiculous sounding to me.. I've tried using Smart Balance instead of pure butter and it works well..I can't tell the difference when I slather that on toast or a bagel..

15. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

Zero. Only extra virgin olive oil.