1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How much are you willing to pay for cufflinks?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lawnerd, Jul 10, 2011.

1. lawnerd

lawnerd Well-Known Member

How much would you be willing to pay for a pair of cufflinks with the following features? :

- semi-precious cabochons (18-20mm) (amethyst, garnet, citrine, chalcedony, etc.) of top quality, color, and cut
    - traditional shape (square/cushion, spherical, oval, oblong, etc.)
    - double-sided (no swivel-backs!)
    - sterling silver findings, including a signature center link forged by a silversmith (no silver threads or any other material that gives a "homemade" appearance)
    - entirely hand-crafted from start to finish
    - professional packaging suitable for gift-giving

I realize prices would vary greatly based on overall aesthetics, type of gemstone, and so on, but I'd love to hear your ideas. I want you to picture classic, heirloom-quality pieces with a slightly modern twist, but nothing "fashionable" or "trendy" that will look dated in 10 or even 50 years.

Is $150-75 crazy high, crazy low, or just about right for, let's say, a pair of onyx cufflinks with the above features?
    What about $250-75 for garnet?

Any and all feedback is much appreciated!

2. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Seems okay to me if you like the style.

3. lawnerd

4. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

I prefer 'barrel' style cufflinks in metals & stones. I would gladly pay $150-250 for a pair. The problem with unbranded stuff bought online is that there's no quality assurance, which would make it hard for me to buy, when I can just drop into a shop after work and pick up what I like.

5. lawnerd

Loathing, do you mean that you generally prefer barrel style links (i.e., you only own barrel cufflinks), or that you would only consider links with stones that are of the barrel style?

Regarding your concerns of quality assurance, would it help if a "no questions asked" return policy were offered, including a return shipping label and customer service at least comparable to well-established, main street haberdashers?

6. lawnerd

Where are all the diehard cufflink SFers???

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Most of my shirts have french cuffs. I use one pair of cufflinks for every shirt $20 smoke mother of pearl from Kent Wang. I like the simplicity, price doesn't really enter the equation. Would I have paid $1,000 for them? Probably not.

8. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Where are all the diehard cufflink SFers???

Sitting in the corner stroking their Talbott skullz.

9. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Most of my shirts have french cuffs. I use one pair of cufflinks for every shirt $20 smoke mother of pearl from Kent Wang. I like the simplicity, price doesn't really enter the equation. Would I have paid $1,000 for them? Probably not.

These weren't $20 when I bought them.

10. Fred H.

Fred H. Senior member

If the OP is fishing for an answer, I suggest that you spend $24.95 a month and subscribe to the Terrapeak service that eBay offers. Will answer all of your marketplace questions.

As for me, I will pay in the range of $150-$200 for cufflinks, but only those that meet my criteria: (1) solid .925 without stones; (2) vintage; (3) signed; (4) modernist; (5) not Mexican.

11. Dressed2the9s

Dressed2the9s Senior member

People have suggested to expect to pay between $100-$300 for a pair of good quality cufflinks.

They may be small but they speak volumes as to your style and the devil is in the details.

I like mine to be double-ended (instead of the T-back), silver or precious metal plated (like platinum), no stones and classically simple (no novelties. odd shapes or colors).

Because this is my criteria (that suits my style), its often hard to find cufflinks so I pay for ones that meet my standards. Oftentimes, as people eventually find out, you get what you pay for, if you know what to look for.

12. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

if i liked 'em id spend whatever i could afford. if you like a pair and they cost 2k (and have at least some reason for being sold at that price, gold, plat, brand name like bvlgari, tiffany, van cleef, cartier...) and you have the dough, go for it. if people rag on you, screw em, its your money not theirs. get what you like youll be happy.

13. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I prefer plain stainless links, and if there is any embellishment, I prefer it to be understated.

As such, I wouldn't pay more then about $60-$75

14. Dressed2the9s

Dressed2the9s Senior member

You see Original Poster, different people have different and personal price ranges they are willing to spend. Just like a watch, a suit, or whatever tangibles you can imagine, evenone has their price limit, it just depends on how much is it worth to you.

When I buy cufflinks over $100, I also like to think that one day when I die, the item will be enjoyed by a loved ones as much as I enjyed them when I was still alive. Happy cufflink hunting!

15. lawnerd

I figured such a broad inquiry would elicit varied responses. But I was just wondering because it seems there are few American retailers who offer quality and affordable double-sided cufflinks. Trianon and VCA make mighty fine-looking links, but $1,000-2,000+ is a whole other league. For $150-250, what is out there?

16. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Oddly enough, cufflinks are the one area where I still go cheap since I don't wear them that often. None of mine cost over $30 even though I'm perfectly comfortable spending $1000+ on shoes or a watch.

17. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

I am working with my jeweler to make me a custom pair of handmade cufflinks (made in NYC) that fit closely to the OP's description (except larger stones). The cost of materials and labor on such a pair is approximately $700 (modification of existing mold to make them suitable for cufflinks, materials, labor, gem setting, finishing, etc).

Understand that most retailer's profit margins are 2x cost, so it'd be tough to get to the $250 price point. Robert Talbott has some cufflinks that might meet with the OP's ideas, and those retail close to or above $500 after taxes.

That is the reason that we don't see such cufflinks sold by American retailers for $150 to $250.

Any less than $450 is not realistic.

18. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

I figured such a broad inquiry would elicit varied responses. But I was just wondering because it seems there are few American retailers who offer quality and affordable double-sided cufflinks. Trianon and VCA make mighty fine-looking links, but $1,000-2,000+ is a whole other league. For $150-250, what is out there?

plenty. i got a noice pair of bvlgaris for $170. go to a nice local jewelry store (read = not a crap chain mall store where you will overpay for shit goods) and haggle a bit. you will be surprised what you can easily get done.

19. lawnerd

I am working with my jeweler to make me a custom pair of handmade cufflinks (made in NYC) that fit closely to the OP's description (except larger stones). The cost of materials and labor on such a pair is approximately $700 (modification of existing mold to make them suitable for cufflinks, materials, labor, gem setting, finishing, etc).

Understand that most retailer's profit margins are 2x cost, so it'd be tough to get to the $250 price point. Robert Talbott has some cufflinks that might meet with the OP's ideas, and those retail close to or above $500 after taxes.

That is the reason that we don't see such cufflinks sold by American retailers for $150 to $250.

Any less than $450 is not realistic.

I don't doubt a steep price for bespoke cufflinks. After all, yours are being made once and a lot of work is involved (sculpting, molding, casting, etc.). In fact, I'd say most of the cost is labor-related. Silver is relatively affordable, and depending on the stones used, they too can be affordable (especially considering jewelers have wholesale suppliers). That said, though, labor costs decline when the same mold is used to produce multiple pairs of the same style of cufflink. Thus, a $300 mold fee to sculpt and create a pair of cufflinks is very cheap when when a retailer orders 300 pairs cast from that mold. Perhaps $250 is ambitious, but I still don't understand why the cufflink market consists of one-sided cheap-looking silver links for $150 at one end, and $2,000+ for ultra-exclusive links at the other. (Note: I'm leaving out antique links, which I love, because new can be just as good)

20. lawnerd

plenty. i got a noice pair of bvlgaris for $170. go to a nice local jewelry store (read = not a crap chain mall store where you will overpay for shit goods) and haggle a bit. you will be surprised what you can easily get done.

Pics? I'm interested.