• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much allowance for shrinkage on Jantzen measurements?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Planning on making my first Jantzen order soon. I have a visit to my tailor planned for this Saturday to get some pants hemmed and will get him to measure me for some shirts; he's told me several times that it's no problem to do this. I've had my girlfriend measure me but I'm sure it's better for a professional to do it.

I'm just a bit unsure of sleeve length and if to "pad" the measurements a bit to allow for any shrinkage. I wash my shirts in cold water and hang them to dry so I wouldn't expect much. Searching, although I admit to not reading the giant Jantzen thread, hasn't turned up much on the subject other than the fact that some fabrics shrink more than others; something I expected.

My aim for sleeve length is taken from Shirtmaven (aka Cego) in this post http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...63&postcount=6

Unbuttond and fully shrunk shirt should hang slightly above the v of your thumb and index finger.
Does Jantzen account for shrinkage when making the shirts or should I add about 1/8-1/4" inch to my measurements in order to do this?

My thoughts are to add my own allowance and specify that I have already done this in the comments/remarks section. Would it perhaps be better to tell him that my measurements are exact so to please allow some room for shrinkage? I believe I read that this may be the default option.

Thank you.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*bump*

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't pad. It's accounted for. Order just one shirt and wear/wash it several times, then tweak your measurements for future orders

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
read the "jantzen, reliable at last?" thread. there is a lot to learn from it, and you will find various answers to your questions.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Don't pad. It's accounted for.

Thanks. I half had a feeling that would be the case.

Order just one shirt and wear/wash it several times, then tweak your measurements for future orders
Thanks for the advice. I had planned on doing that based on "common sense" and the many, many threads I've read on Jantzen and MyTailor.

Appreciate the help.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
read the "jantzen, reliable at last?" thread. there is a lot to learn from it, and you will find various answers to your questions.

That thread is a mess. I've read some of it and selected portions by doing a general forum search which turned up a few links to it in the results for my search terms. However, it didn't (that I could see) contain the exact information I needed although it was hinted at.

I have read many other Jantzen threads and I did, in addition to my general search, do a specific search in that one for all forms of the word shrink.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PS Thanks to you both for your many replies in the various Jantzen threads that my searches turned up. Several of them were quite helpful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads