• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How ManyBespoke/MTM suits & shirts do you own?

James Douglas Collection

Reaction score
Hello folks I am trying to gage how often some of you guys buy bespoke suits and shirts and how often is your turn over in these area. I probably own about 15-20 bespoke suits and probably 50 or more bespoke shirts partly because I choose not to wear anything from off the rack and just love everything custom made. I would like to know if you guys buys bespoke for each season or buy them for year around wear? What's your thought process when you're buying?

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have ten active rotation suits for fall (12-16 oz), ten spring (9 oz tropical, 10 ounce fresco and 14 ounce linen) and seven or eight mid weights.

I don't wear clothing out very often. I buy to replace things that may need it (my cat destroyed a jacket last year) and to add interesting styles.

SUPER K

Reaction score
8-10 Suits, several for each season. 30-40 shirts for suits. Usually wear a suit 3-5 times a month. Since going bespoke, I try to add 1-2 suits per year, but it usually takes a year for delivery. With this useage, I can't see them wearing out.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
11 MTM suits + 9 off rack

50 MTM shirts

wear a suit / tie (or bowtie) 6x a week

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ZERO
i own five suits off the rack

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have about 23 MTM suits, 6 MTM sportcoats and 30 MTM shirts. I just had the second fitting on my first two bespoke suits (and await the March-April fitting on my first two pair of G and G bespoke shoes).

I tend to buy 2 to 4 suits a year, depending on whether something needs replacing or whether I see something unique I want. The past 18 months have been rather exceptional as I went big into Kiton and Oxxford, MTM.

I wear suits 4-5 days a week, and sportcoats about 2 days.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe half a dozen mtm Lqnd's End shirts. Serviceable.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With regard to your question about how often to buy, it really depends on what stage your wardrobe is in. Now that I have built a great base, I will try to limit myself to 2-3 bespoke suit orders a year, 3-4 bespoke shoe orders and enough shirts to keep 30 or 40 in mint condition in active rotation.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
I started off with Land's End too and I think "serviceable" is a good description. For someone just starting to build a wardrobe and working with a limited budget, as I was when I bought mine, they're a very good option.

I then moved to BB MTM, which are made of better material more generously cut. The issues I have with them are that BB in Japan does not offer MOP buttons or slim fit. In the past week, I've acquired three Hilditch & Key shirts that fit me better OTR than any others I've worn. I've also discovered that Ginza Tailor can make me bespoke shirts with a far wider range of options at prices competitive with BB, so no contest there.

(Shameless pimping of my own thread here!)

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only own one MTM shirt, and it's an Ascot Chang.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
I started off with Land's End too and I think "serviceable" is a good description. For someone just starting to build a wardrobe and working with a limited budget, as I was when I bought mine, they're a very good option.

I then moved to BB MTM, which are made of better material more generously cut. The issues I have with them are that BB in Japan does not offer MOP buttons or slim fit. In the past week, I've acquired three Hilditch & Key shirts that fit me better OTR than any others I've worn. I've also discovered that Ginza Tailor can make me bespoke shirts with a far wider range of options at prices competitive with BB, so no contest there.

(Shameless pimping of my own thread here!)

If you're going to be a pimp you need a pair of bespoke alligator shoes from Suzuki-sensei.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
If you're going to be a pimp you need a pair of bespoke alligator shoes from Suzuki-sensei.

I heard from Bic Pentameter when I met him here in Tokyo a little over a year ago that Koji Suzuki is no longer accepting customers. I plan to ask at GT for a recommendation of a bespoke shoe maker and hope that that might be sufficient to get my foot in the door.

I think the only way I could wear alligator shoes is perhaps a black pair with a midnight-blue velvet suit.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
I heard from Bic Pentameter when I met him here in Tokyo a little over a year ago that Koji Suzuki is no longer accepting customers. I plan to ask at GT for a recommendation of a bespoke shoe maker and hope that that might be sufficient to get my foot in the door.

Could you pimp out *****cat or is that off the table?
mwink[1].gif

I think the only way I could wear alligator shoes is perhaps a black pair with a midnight-blue velvet suit.

Don't forget the perfect topcoat, to which you kindly directed our attention.

Ok, just so I can clear my conscience about derailing this thread: 4 MTM suits, 3 odd jackets, and at least a month's worth of shirts (I'm scared to count on that last one, so I will go
peepwall[1].gif
now).

PB

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Could you pimp out *****cat or is that off the table?
mwink[1].gif

Depends on how much clout it would gain me.
devil.gif

Don't forget the perfect topcoat, to which you kindly directed our attention.

$20k for a bespoke mink topcoat is a bargain at twice the price!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics