• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many yards or meters of material to buy for a bespoke suit?

grey-flannel

Reaction score
I've read older threads on this but wanted to ask members how many yards or meters of plain fabric I'd specifically need for a:

2-piece suit:
3-piece suit:
Blazer:

I'm 5'11" / 1.8 meters tall and relatively thin with a 30" waist. Some members in previous threads recommended as low as 3 yards for a 2-piece suit to as high as 4 yards. What do members with bespoke suit experience recommend?

Last edited:

Chowkin

Reaction score
Asking members here is useful but ultimately it's your tailor who converts that piece of cloth into a suit so he's the one you should ask

Maljunulo

Reaction score
Pattern matching, as needed, will also play a part in how much fabric is needed.

grey-flannel

Reaction score
The truth is I don't have a tailor in mind yet. A store next door is closing down and marked everything down by 50% so found a couple of fabrics I like but not sure how many yards I need...

Maljunulo

Reaction score
What is the price range of these fabrics, or what mills are they from?

grey-flannel

Reaction score
Not sure, I know they're english made and I recognised some harris tweeds

Last edited:

stubloom

Reaction score
You're putting the cart before the horse.

Step 1: Find a tailor with a distinctive "house style" you admire, a tailor with whom you can develop a relationship over time.

Step 2: Select the fabric.

Buying "unknown" fabric at 50% off will invariably result in skewed choices and missed opportunities.

You should recognize that "good" tailors are looking to build an on-going relationship with you. They're "selling" you a complete package...style, fit, construction skills and fabric.

"Good" tailors are not looking for a one time transaction nor are they looking to sell you a fractional product. Consequently, very few "good" tailors have any interest in merely selling you labor.

Besides, the tailor should be allowed to make a decent profit on the fabric you ultimately choose. That's part of how they stay in business.

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the fabric is from a known and reputable mill or merchant, there is little risk in stocking up before commissioning a suit, it would seem to me. The conventional wisdom seems to be that 3 1/2 yards is about right for a man of average size like yourself, at least for a two-piece.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some tailors are fine with the client bringing in his own fabric, especially if the bolt is unusual, vintage, or otherwise hard to find. I have never tried to do so, but I’m guessing my tailor (in Rome) would do it, and charge me the same rate he charges for all his suits, as labor is the main cost. He already gives me a “good customer” discount (in the sense he still charges me what he charged me years ago, even though his nominal rates have gone up). So I would just pay, and thank him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads