1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many watches do you own?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, Jun 14, 2005.

1. BlindTiger

BlindTiger New Member

1. Bulova. It's nice enought that I don't need another.

2. mljones99

mljones99 Senior member

3. jimbo123

jimbo123 Senior member

I have a Tissot PRC 200 and an old Casio digital watch. I'd like to get a good Seiko watch and when I'm a bit richer Oris TT1 or Omega Seamaster.

Before I thought it was pretty important to have 1 dress watch and 1 casual watch but I'm rarely in dressy occasions!

So for now I'm into casual yet smart watches. Something which will look good with a shirt or T-shirt. This is my Tissot PRC 200:

[​IMG]

4. JonF

JonF Senior member

5. Suits You Sir!

Suits You Sir! Well-Known Member

I own four. But nothing spectacular like you see on here.

Two Sector watches.
    A Tissot pocket watch.
    And a shitty $AUS20 battered digital I wear out on the apron.

6. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Senior member

Rolex
    Day Date
    Sea Dweller
    GMT II
    Yachtmaster

Panerai
    Marina
    GMT/alarm

Tudor
    Chrono

Plus some miscellaneous lower-end (Longines, Gruen, etc.) stuff and a Bulova that was my grandfather's. That one means more to me than all the others combined.

7. effang

effang Senior member

how well do watches maintain their value?

i'm looking to liquidate some funds...can't afford property, don't need a car, can't afford art...are watches "decent" investments, ala, if they're not appreciating, at the least they're not depreciating?

thanks!

8. Singular

Singular Senior member

The best way to make a small fortune out of watches...

...is to start with a big one. Sorry, watches are generally rather poor investments (when looking at earning money). A nice vintage watch from a "better" brand is though a, in my opinion, good way to put your money - you can use it almost all the time, it gives you quite a bit of of pleasure, and it doesn't suffer from any noticable depreciation. The only cost is normal service (and the occasional gasket, watch band and crystal) every few years.

/M

9. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

i'm looking to liquidate some funds...can't afford property, don't need a car, can't afford art...are watches "decent" investments, ala, if they're not appreciating, at the least they're not depreciating?

thanks!

Don't do it. It may hold it's value or go up, but the transaction costs of trying to sell it are a pain in the butt and eat in to your profits (e.g. with an auction house) or just a general pain in the ass (e.g. on the internet). Look elsewhere to invest.

10. bmulford

bmulford Senior member

thanks!

buy US silver boullion in standard denominations. The US coin is desireable over bars because its actual currency and easier to exchange at spot prices from dealers.

It'll cost you about $15-$20k to fill a few shoe boxes with silver.

This way you can sink your capital into a solid asset that you can liquidate rapidly if necessary without having to break it up, or sell it wholesale.

11. effang

effang Senior member

Don't do it. It may hold it's value or go up, but the transaction costs of trying to sell it are a pain in the butt and eat in to your profits (e.g. with an auction house) or just a general pain in the ass (e.g. on the internet). Look elsewhere to invest.

thanks.

i was unclear. i'm looking to purchase some type of material goods with my credit card points. i need a big ticket item, ~10-15k. I can convert the points to cash, but it is a poorer conversion.

a watch wouldn't be that bad because as long as i can use it and resale it, that seems ok to me.

12. bmulford

bmulford Senior member

Then perhaps drive a deal with an AD on a Calavatra, or Patrimony.

13. iwhelan

iwhelan Senior member

I currently only wear a Rolex Submariner 14060M. I've been through some other nice watches, but this one is so right and it does it all. It looks good with anything and has such a nice clean design. It also is very similar to the classic 5513 that I love. The 14060m still comes with lug holes, non-solid end links and up until about 2007 it didn't have the COSC certification marketing on the dial. It also does not have the 'rolexrolexrolex' around the rehaut. Very classic. Yes, I would prefer if it were a matte dial without white gold surrounds on the indices, but this is good enough for a modern Rolex that I can wear every day in any condition. I'm not crazy about some of the other modern Rolexes, but this is like a modern descendant of the original Rolex tool watch.

With that said, I do still want a few other watches, but when I have extra money I'll get them. Until then, I'm satisfied.

Ian

14. Nexus6

Nexus6 Senior member

Poor mans entry.....

I own 7 watches.
    -one is a Seiko which was a gift.
    -3 replicas; 2 Cartier reps & 1 Ferrari rep
    -the rest are cheapo $10 watches

I can only salivate to see everyone elses watches here

15. Cas Ruffin

Cas Ruffin Senior member

I used to have a G-shock. Now I have no watch.

16. fuji

fuji Senior member

I have as stainless rolex oysterdate and a 18k longines on a croc band.

17. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Stauer Monaco
    Jacquet-Girard Perfex
    Certina Bristol 235
    Louis Bolle Advocate

18. AscotMcPocketsquare

AscotMcPocketsquare Senior member

I have 8 or 9 watches but only 3 "good" ones.

1. Tag (my "knockaround watch")
    2. Breitling
    3. JLC Master World Georgraphic in Rose Gold.

After picking up #3 I have a hard time justifying the outlay of more $ for another watch, although there are of course a # I have my eye on.

19. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Ii've owned many over the years but never more than a half dozen at any given time. Currently, the collection consists of:

Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic ca. 2008

[​IMG]

Omega Seamaster ca. 2001 (shown here on NATO style strap)

[​IMG]

Sinn 356 ca. 2002

[​IMG]

Rolex Sea Dweller ca. 2002

[​IMG]

20. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

IWC GST Automatic Chronograph in Titanium Sinn 142 [​IMG] Sinn 956 [​IMG] Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow [​IMG] Omega AT w/ silver face Bad pic [​IMG] Seiko Sportura Chrono I don't count my Garmin 305 heart rate monitor.