1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many vacation days/holidays do you get per year?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by dcg, May 26, 2011.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I think that I get 15 vacation days, but I have a deal where if I am working on a weekend or holiday (which happens pretty much every month at least once) I get a make up day for every day worked. so I pile up a shitload of vacation days, and don't really take them.

2. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Fuck... as much as I can accumulate. Probably 3 weeks vacation, all federal holidays (forget how many there are in the U.S.). Ton of sick leave.

3. otc

otc Senior member

The only problem with being paid OT and *always* working it is that you don't get paid overtime when you take vacation [​IMG]

Our weeks technically end at 35 (cuts costs at time of low utilization since people can just leave...) but I have never put in less than 40 and prefer to see a number like 45 on a week without any big deadlines or projects. If I take a couple of days off in a week, I still end up over 40 so I don't really notice a big differance on the biweekly paycheck...but if I take a week or two off with nothing but 35 hours of PTO, my check starts to get a lot smaller.

4. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

5. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

If I use up all my accrued PTO and get sick I can still take time off. I'll just go negative on my PTO balance. I think my company only allows me to go up to 40 hours of negative territory before I have to get approval.

If I quit with a negative balance, that gets taken out on my final paycheck.

Got it.

6. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

We do:

8 Company Holidays (In many years this is 7 fixed days plus one additional "floating holiday" which equates to an extra vacation day.)

10 days (2 weeks) vacation for newer employees.

15 days (3 weeks) vacation for employees with 5+ years of tenure (though many established professionals negotiate this up front).

Up to 5 days (1 week) unused vacation can be carried over from year to year.

Unlimited sick days on an "honor system" policy.

Non-exempt employees get 2 days "personal" time. Exempt employees have unlimited personal time.

7. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I get half a sick day and half a vacation day every two weeks. Start every year with a week's worth of personal time, and accrue comp time when I work past 5.

I already have over 3 weeks worth of time off, and I started in January. A guy I know is taking off the month of August. [​IMG]

8. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Fed employee so mine is public information 6 hrs/pay period which means...6*26 = 156 hrs/year, which is just shy of 20 days/year. In a couple more years I'll be at 8 hrs/pay period. That's annual leave. Then 3 hrs/pay period for sick leave.

You can carry over 240 hours of annual leave and all of your sick leave. I usually have a balance of about 100 hours. I use my annual leave for vacations and doctor's appts etc. I try not to use my sick leave at all. If you quit federal work they reimburse you for unused annual leave but not sick leave, so a lot of people use their sick leave all the time. I'd rather build up tons of sick leave just in case I need it.

Oh, and then there are the federal holidays on top of that. Plus, some people are able to work longer M-Th hours and take every other Fri off, which I do. No fewer hours, in the end, but it makes for a bunch of four day weekends. Like this one.

b

9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Fed employee so mine is public information 6 hrs/pay period which means...6*26 = 156 hrs/year, which is just shy of 20 days/year. In a couple more years I'll be at 8 hrs/pay period. That's annual leave. Then 3 hrs/pay period for sick leave.
    Same here. I currently have accrued over 240 hours of annual leave. Clearly, I need to take more vacations.

10. dtmt

dtmt Senior member

10 company holidays, 20 PTO days which can carry over 1 year but expire after that. Still have almost all my holidays from last year... not that I'm a workaholic, I keep trying to plan a vacation but end up having to put it off for some reason or other.

11. yerfdog

yerfdog Senior member

I work for the federal government, so same as what rdawson gets, but my site is on a 9 hour day, so we get 3 day weekends every other week, which is a huge perk for me. Also means that you have to take more leave to get a whole day off, though....

Oh, also you only get 4 hours per pay period for the first 3 years, which is where I am now. At that level, it's pretty comparable to private industry, or even slightly worse. My brother works for an oil company, and he will have more vacation time than I do until I get 15 years in.

12. Joe Camel

Joe Camel Active Member

28 days paid holiday and i also get the days off between Christmas and New Year paid. I get all public holidays off as well but i can't be bothered to count how many that is.

13. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

13 vacation + 2 floating holidays

14. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

7 holidays
    3 Floating Holidays
    15 vacation days
    7 sick days

15. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

21 vacation, 11 (?) holiday, 5 sick

16. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

25 days annual leave
    20 days sick leave (accrues if unused)
    Time off in lieu for weekends worked offshore
    3 months long service leave after 10 years, prorated after 7+ years

spent quite a lot of time offshore so i have lots of leave accrued at the moment, about 2 months. coming up to long service maturing so i will have 5 months, at which stage my boss will probably force me to take it

17. BossTweed

BossTweed Senior member

15 vacation days
    3 "optional" days (vacations days that don't rollover)
    unlimited sick days, but you don't want to take more than a couple

18. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Everyone gets 4 personal days, 6 holidays at my place and unlimited sick days.

As for vacation:

0 to 3 years: 10 days
    3 to 10 years: 15 days
    10 to 20 years: 20 days
    20+ years: 25 days

I gots 20.

19. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Senior member

30 days leave I can take whenever (can carry over 10 a year). This raises to 33 next year.
    8 days public holidays.
    Unlimited sick.

20. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

My first job out of college gave us 7 vacation days, 3 sick days, and a grand total of 4 national holidays: XMas, Thanksgiving Day, Memorial Day, and Labor Day.

It was also the kind of place where nobody actually took a day off, because you'd be seen as a slacker if you did so. People who got sick would show up to the office sick as dogs, hacking and coughing and sweating away.

Yeah, good times.