• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many suits do you really NEED vs. OWN?

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
I will be collecting and wearing suits for years to come. Current fashions come and go, but there is nothing like a well cut Italian suit.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
I just bought this. Prada cashmere overcoat with peak lapels. I may have my tailor insert a button at the top, like a 3-roll-2, and another at the bottom for full closure. I won't touch fused Prada suits, but I have another Prada (Alpaca) overcoat that rocks.
Prada-Overcoat-1.jpg

Last edited:

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
I'm searching for a few TF 3-piece suits and a few linen/linen-wool mixture suits, to round out my collection.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought this. Prada cashmere overcoat with peak lapels. I may have my tailor insert a button at the top, like a 3-roll-2, and at a button at the bottom for full closure. I won't touch fused Prada suits, but I have another Prada (Alpaca) overcoat that rocks. View attachment 1562040

Now this looks nice - I would say a third button is a good idea. But a well-cut, dark, cashmere overcoat is a work of art.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just bought this as well. Zegna Milano Navy pinstripe. View attachment 1562044 View attachment 1562045
that looks good

I'm searching for a few TF 3-piece suits and a few linen/linen-wool mixture suits, to round out my collection.
In my mind linen is always "casual" and the strong shoulder vibe with TF doesn't quite always jive (it can, like say a white linen suit with s prominent shoulder maybe?), have you look at other maker?

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
that looks good

In my mind linen is always "casual" and the strong shoulder vibe with TF doesn't quite always jive (it can, like say a white linen suit with s prominent shoulder maybe?), have you look at other maker?

Sorry.....but I didn't necessarily mean that the linen/wool suits had to be TF. I meant that I wanted both linen mix suits as well as several more TF suits. I've only seen one linen-wool TF suit, in the Spencer cut, but it was the wrong size. Also, as you might remember, I have my tailor remove most of the padding on my suits and narrow the shoulders if need be, because I already have reasonably well defined shoulders. No need for the linebacker look. In fact, that's the one aspect of TF suits that I don't like. The extra wide and heavily padded shoulders are not my style.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Now this looks nice - I would say a third button is a good idea. But a well-cut, dark, cashmere overcoat is a work of art.

Thanks. I have 3 other overcoats. One blue 10 pocket Zegna, one heavy Isaia grey pinstripe overcoat, and one Alpaca Prada, black with brown overcheck. I get the most compliments from women on the Prada. I still would like to buy a light grey overcoat, with peak lapels.

Here are some alternatives from yoox...one of my go to websites:

The first overcoat is "Hevo". Never heard of it: 60% wool, 20% polyamide, 10% mohair, 10% alpaca. The price is too low...hahaha...it makes me wary.

The second overcoat is Domenico Tagliente. I have never heard of this brand either. 75% wool, 20% polyamide, and 5% cashmere. The price is far too low as well. I always buy brands that are well respected, so that I know what I'm getting. I'm not sure what "polyamide" is. I normally eschew synthetics, but maybe its not so bad for outerwear. I'm also channeling the peak lapel TF look. I have too many notch lapel items in my wardrobe. Time for some variety. I dig the TF look: PIMP!!!

1614241310422.png

1614241005123.png

Last edited:

Professor Χάος

Reaction score

I bought this because I like Prada overcoats and its 100% cashmere, and because its rare to find single breasted overcoats with peak lapels. Once again, I'm channeling my inner TF. PIMP!!!!

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Ok guys....I'm not sure if you'll like this one. Another recent acquisition. Its an Isaia 3 piece in Natural Blueberry. I have all the staples several times over, so I'm searching for some variety and some color to round out my wardrobe. This is as flashy as I get.
Isaia Blue 3 piece 1.jpg
Isaia Blue 3 piece 2.jpg
Isaia Blue 3 piece 7.jpg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why don’t you get something other than TF then, shoulder I always feel is the signature thing

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I have 3 other overcoats. One blue 10 pocket Zegna, one heavy Isaia grey pinstripe overcoat, and one Alpaca Prada, black with brown overcheck. I get the most compliments from women on the Prada. I still would like to buy a light grey overcoat, with peak lapels.

Here are some alternatives from yoox...one of my go to websites:

The first overcoat is "Hevo". Never heard of it: 60% wool, 20% polyamide, 10% mohair, 10% alpaca. The price is too low...hahaha...it makes me wary.

The second overcoat is Domenico Tagliente. I have never heard of this brand either. 75% wool, 20% polyamide, and 5% cashmere. The price is far too low as well. I always buy brands that are well respected, so that I know what I'm getting. I'm not sure what "polyamide" is. I normally eschew synthetics, but maybe its not so bad for outerwear. I'm also channeling the peak lapel TF look. I have too many notch lapel items in my wardrobe. Time for some variety. I dig the TF look: PIMP!!!

View attachment 1562276

View attachment 1562275

That alpaca Prada sounds great, I'm not surprised it draws compliments.

Really, I think more people appreciate stylish classics than some on this forum would have you believe. By that I mean things like striped suits, bold+dark outerwear, cravats, evening clothes, etc. Anything other than the staid sacky suit from Brookie Bros.

If I were you (presuming you can afford it), I would avoid anything with synthetic mixtures. Pure wool or wool-cashmere mixes are more expensive, but they are always worth it. The addition of synthetics does not add appreciably to a coats water resistance, from my experience, and certainly not to its warmth.

Ok guys....I'm not sure if you'll like this one. Another recent acquisition. Its an Isaia 3 piece in Natural Blueberry. I have all the staples several times over, so I'm searching for some variety and some color to round out my wardrobe. This is as flashy as I get. View attachment 1562278 View attachment 1562281 View attachment 1562282

I actually like this one! It's subtler than those garish, bright blue things you used to see during the early days of #manswear (perhaps some style bloggers still have theirs). This is infinitely more tasteful.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Why don’t you get something other than TF then, shoulder I always feel is the signature thing

I like TF, I just don't like the big shoulders. Its obviously a matter of personal taste, but the large shoulders on the standard TF suit look somewhat garish to me. Besides, the TF I had altered turned out great.....I already have well defined shoulders, so the soft shouldered TF work for me. To each his won. Now all I need to do is find the specific models I'm looking for....including one or two that are 3-piece.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
That alpaca Prada sounds great, I'm not surprised it draws compliments.

Really, I think more people appreciate stylish classics than some on this forum would have you believe. By that I mean things like striped suits, bold+dark outerwear, cravats, evening clothes, etc. Anything other than the staid sacky suit from Brookie Bros.

If I were you (presuming you can afford it), I would avoid anything with synthetic mixtures. Pure wool or wool-cashmere mixes are more expensive, but they are always worth it. The addition of synthetics does not add appreciably to a coats water resistance, from my experience, and certainly not to its warmth.

I actually like this one! It's subtler than those garish, bright blue things you used to see during the early days of #manswear (perhaps some style bloggers still have theirs). This is infinitely more tasteful.

I agree about synthetics. Not for me. I'm glad you liked the Isaia. Its slightly bold (for me) but a little bit of flash now and then is nice.

Here are two more options. The first is the one I wanted. Its D&G, which is another brand whose suits I would never touch. I also find Stefano Gabanna's racism against Chinese to be distasteful, but I like this overcoat. Unfortunately, someone bought this before I could. Anyway, I would prefer a lighter grey.

The second option is Suit Supply. I've never tried them, but many SF members have given SS good reviews. Both are pure wool. However, I don't like the patch pockets on the SS overcoat. Not my thing.
1614260713351.png

1614260739316.png

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree about synthetics. Not for me. I'm glad you liked the Isaia. Its slightly bold (for me) but a little bit of flash now and then is nice.

Here are two more options. The first is the one I wanted. Its D&G, which is another brand whose suits I would never touch. I also find Stefano Gabanna's racism against Chinese to be distasteful, but I like this overcoat. Unfortunately, someone bought this before I could. Anyway, I would prefer a lighter grey.

The second option is Suit Supply. I've never tried them, but many SF members have given SS good reviews. Both are pure wool. However, I don't like the patch pockets on the SS overcoat. Not my thing.
View attachment 1562333

View attachment 1562334

I'm also not a fan of the patch pockets. I'd rather more formal touches on an overcoat with peak lapels.

I've actually tried Suit Supply before and found them to be :bored:. Perhaps they're a better cheap option, but to my mind it's still cheaply-made.

If you're not averse to lightly-used, ebay can be a good source for wool overcoats. I mention them because many overcoats online seem to be far too short for my liking - ending well above the knee. You can find plenty of new or nearly-new designer coats for a fraction of the price though, as long as you don't mind them not being the latest season or what have you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads