1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

How many suits do you really NEED vs. OWN?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vida, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Romeomikehotel

Romeomikehotel Well-Known Member

How many suits do I need? 2 (charcoal and black)
    How many do I want? All of them.

I own probably 15 suits and wear maybe 10 of them anymore. When I first started my professional career I went the Jos A. Bank route and got 4 different suits (which I no longer wear). Then I picked up two Pronto Uomo suits, of which I still wear the charcoal occasionally. Now days I'm wearing nicer suits and have few more in the rotation. My current lineup is a bit beyond the traditional charcoal and blue but it works for me and I have the traditional stored away if I need them.

Here's the suits in my daily rotation at the moment.
    IMG_2140.JPG

2. LeBois

LeBois New Member

YOU CANNOT BE TOO RICH TOO THIN OR HAVE TOO MANY SUITS.

3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Stylish Dinosaur

4. vida

vida Senior Member

I started this thread six years ago, so let me reply to my initial post:
    I own five suits, all of which can be worn year round. This is about two or three less than I typically had in my rotation years ago. Four are navy, one is grey.
    What has changed? I now own about six jackets compared to 1 or 2 at the time of my original post. Two are seasonal, the remaining four can be worn throught the year.

5. Proleet

Proleet Senior Member

I own 8 and could probably by with around 3. It's nice to have some options though (although I'd rather get more shoes than more suits at this point)

6. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

6 years on still on 5? You have better self control than I'm. I have sold stuff but I still have 20+ suit and probably 15 SC...

7. vida

vida Senior Member

I have a one-in-one-out rule I try to stick to.

8. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

I own 33 suits of which 17 are regularly in use, some occasionally, some never. Time for a cull methinks.

9. AWu

AWu Senior Member

I've 6 in total and 4 in current rotation - quite balanced between blue and grey with one in brown with greenish hint

10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Distinguished Member

I've flirted with the idea of just having 3-4 suits and just get by with sports jackets but I never get to the point of trying to move/sell them as it takes time to get all the information.

11. smittycl

smittycl Distinguished Member

I'm up to 25 with 10 sport coats. A mix of summer and three-season suits with only a few winter suits as it's never that cold here in DC. work requires a suit and tie, sometimes sport coat and tie works as well. Mix of solids, pinstripes and plaids. Kind of a hobby as well and I love to try out different makers but not at Dirnelli-levels.

12. jonathanS

jonathanS Distinguished Member

Those hangers tho.......

13. yonkle

yonkle Member

I own 4 suits 25 sc and 30 odd trousers obviously wear Sports coats and trousers much more than suits. I love the versatility of sport coats and odd trousers. And fortunately my work is business casual.

14. Romeomikehotel

Romeomikehotel Well-Known Member

lol I'll admit to paying zero attention to my hangers but I'm not against replacing all of them. Any recommendations?

15. jonathanS

jonathanS Distinguished Member

The easy answer is hanger project or butler luxury. But at 25-30 bucks per hanger they're not inexpensive.

But I can't justify not spending a lot of hangers when dropping thousands on bespoke.