• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many suits do you really NEED vs. OWN?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here is an old thread about the shop. Check out Mr. Lim in the second photo w/ his 4 pleat pants! What a badass, RIP.

I should add that since this was posted they've gotten rid of the a la carte pricing. Pricing higher than mentioned in this thread, though my jacket CMT is like $950, pants $350 now. I think I'm getting maybe a $50 discount on each.

But they no longer charge a la carte for things like buttonholes or pick stitching or extra fittings, its all just rolled into price now.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, in Koreatown in Los Angeles. Though the current owner (Mr. Lim's son who was a Creative Director at AG previously) purchased a larger space near the Beverly Center and is moving there next year (to my sadness - farther away).

If you are in in town or ever here I'd be happy to intro you to the shop. They ship to out of town repeat customers often.

The big thing that breakdown I posted gets right is you have to know what you want. I have introduced 7 customers to the shop, 6 very happy repeat customers and 1 unhappy. The unhappy one didn't let them know he wasn't happy with the product's fit (frankly is too used to American sack suiting). They will fix anything, but not if you don't speak up if you are unhappy.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would always hesitant about lacking house style though, I mean I would think I know exactly what I want, but only to the extent of visualization and descriptive, can tell him minor adjustment here and there, but in the end that's still only to the extent of what can be easily communicated unless the tailor and I just "click" I suppose.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Yes, in Koreatown in Los Angeles. Though the current owner (Mr. Lim's son who was a Creative Director at AG previously) purchased a larger space near the Beverly Center and is moving there next year (to my sadness - farther away).

If you are in in town or ever here I'd be happy to intro you to the shop. They ship to out of town repeat customers often.

The big thing that breakdown I posted gets right is you have to know what you want. I have introduced 7 customers to the shop, 6 very happy repeat customers and 1 unhappy. The unhappy one didn't let them know he wasn't happy with the product's fit (frankly is too used to American sack suiting). They will fix anything, but not if you don't speak up if you are unhappy.

Thanks for the invitation ValidusLA. If I am ever in LA, and want to take the plunge, it would be nice to visit your tailor.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Professor Χάος is that a south park reference and are you Greek by any chance? :p

Edit: Wrong thread, thought I was on the boots!

Last edited:

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
@Professor Χάος is that a south park reference and are you Greek by any chance? :p

on topic, crappy picture but wore my Sintra Carlos Santos Chukkas today.

There's a South Park character with my name? Alas, I'm only an admirer of your great civilization.

By the way, one day I am going to save enough money to buy some Norwegian welted Paola Scafora from you.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Thanks for the reference. This actually sounds a lot like me. This name was actually given to me by my students.

Professor Chaos is the supervillain alter-ego of Butters Stotch. He first appears in the self-titled episode, "Professor Chaos". He originally becomes Professor Chaos due to the fact that he is occasionally seen to others as futile after being rejected as a replacement for Kenny, making him a lonely outcast ultimately turning to the dark side.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a South Park character with my name? Alas, I'm only an admirer of your great civilization.

By the way, one day I am going to save enough money to buy some Norwegian welted Paola Scafora from you.
I saw the Greek characters so I hoped to finally see a civil stylish Greek here haha! There is a "super villain" alter ego character that goes by Professor Chaos on South Park it's hilarious.

On the actual topic this time, in Sweden I could get by with 2-3 suits, while I think the optimal is between 5-10. I own something like 20 now.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
I saw the Greek characters so I hoped to finally see a civil stylish Greek here haha! There is a "super villain" alter ego character that goes by Professor Chaos on South Park it's hilarious.

On the actual topic this time, in Sweden I could get by with 2-3 suits, while I think the optimal is between 5-10. I own something like 20 now.

And I've known many stylish Greeks. I met them in graduate school. Great people...great spirit....great food. I made my signature lamb dish for them....after that, I was their best friend. :)

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I've known many stylish Greeks. I met them in graduate school. Great people...great spirit....great food. I made my signature lamb dish for them....after that, I was their best friend. :)

And here I was thinking: "At last, a fellow Classicist!" ?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here is an old thread about the shop. Check out Mr. Lim in the second photo w/ his 4 pleat pants! What a badass, RIP.

I should add that since this was posted they've gotten rid of the a la carte pricing. Pricing higher than mentioned in this thread, though my jacket CMT is like $950, pants $350 now. I think I'm getting maybe a $50 discount on each.

But they no longer charge a la carte for things like buttonholes or pick stitching or extra fittings, its all just rolled into price now.
Great read, thanks for sharing this old thread. He reminds me of my local tailor.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahaha hilarious to me since I brought up this jacket the other day. Apparently Cifonelli using the fabric now. SmartSelect_20201104-183143_Instagram.jpg

lwmarti

Reaction score
How many suits do I own? I actually don't know exactly. Lots of stuff is in storage to help prepare for retiring and moving next year. But I'd guess that I have about 100.

How many do I need? I haven't worked in finance for over 15 years, and I haven't done any lobbying of Congress for over five. So you might argue that I don't actually need any of them. You also might argue that I collect them like other people collect things like stamps or coins, in which case I absolutely need every single one of them.

Some of my favorites are actually the over-the-top silly ones that were part of the Brooks Brothers Black Fleece line a while ago. If you're looking for a suit to wear drinking in Las Vegas or to the races, they're perfect. I think that I have 26 of those. Today's Wednesday. I'll be wearing one in just a couple of days for a COVID-19-friendly virtual happy hour via Zoom. And I'll be wearing another to the dentist the following week.

Of the 26 Black Fleece suits, there's actually just one that I'm not overly fond of. The rest are among my favorites. If anyone cares, I could probably post pictures of them.

And now that I don't need to fit into the east coast establishment any more, I've actually taken to wearing J. Crew suits on a somewhat regular basis. My friends back east would cringe, of course, but this is California, so people think that I'm really well-dressed when I wear them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads