• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many suits do you own?

TomTom

Reaction score
3 suits,3 sport coats no tux...Just thinking of buying a suit in a heavier cloth ( maybe even flannel) for the Autumm -Winter period.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My collection is still in its earliest stages:

- 5 suits, 1 sportcoat (another on the way soon), and a variety of odd jackets.

Last edited:

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 suit, 1 tux, 1 morning coat, 1 brass button blazer, 3 sport coats. 3-piece MtM Navy suit up next, but no idea when. Charcoal to follow that one.

2 suits if you count the 3-piece brown vintage suit, but I don't since it has bell bottoms. I wore it ro coach once last year, and made a point of walking up and down the bench with my arms in the air like Don Cherry. Both wearing it, and the antics, were more to give the kids a laugh than anything else. The bell bottoms weren't as bad as I remembered from buying the suit; I actually thrifted it for $10 just for the vest for a pirate costume.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6 suits counting my tuxedo:

- Shawl collar black tuxedo
- Navy worsted SB 2B suit
- Medium grey worsted SB 2B suit
- Charcoal SB worsted 2B suit
- Medium grey flannel DB
- Navy worsted DB

I don't have to wear a suit everyday and mostly put on a jacket and tie when I'm in the mood to dress up at work, for client meetings, interviews, nice dinners, galas, etc. That said I like to have a variety of things for when I need them. Last week I had a networking dinner and 2 charity fundraisers that called for cocktail attire. It was nice to be able to wear a different suit for each occasion.

As far as seasonality is concerned, the medium grey flannel is definitely fall / winter. I'm considering a light grey tropical weight wool suit and a light tan linen suit for the summer (maybe seersucker but I would probably wear the thing as separates 90% of the time) which would bring me to 8 suits total, which is more than enough for me. If I wore suits to work, I'd probably invest in some pinstripes and chalkstripes in addition to getting slightly different versions of solid navy / greys.

Since odd jackets were brought up, I have 11 of those (3 dedicated to summer including a linen navy blazer, 6 fall / winter that work okay in dreary spring weather as well, and 2 navy blazers that work when it's not scorching hot).

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

3 suits,3 sport coats no tux...Just thinking of buying a suit in a heavier cloth ( maybe even flannel) for the Autumm -Winter period.

Flannel is awesome. Only drawback to it is that it is truly seasonal IMO (i.e. I think it looks wrong in the summer even if the weather is cool enough), while a heavier worsted can be more versatile. But then flannel is awesome.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to think about this for a while because most of my suits are currently in storage back home in Canada while I am in Japan for the year. It will seem like an odd collection to some - but I actually wear all of these regularly. 10 in total...

3 x solid wool suits:
  • Daks dark grey midweight pinstripe worsted SB 2-piece
  • Peacock & Sons vintage mid grey lightweight SB 3-piece
  • Peacock & Sons vintage airforce blue lightweight DB 3-piece
3 x midweight glen check SB 2-piece suits:
  • Salvatore Ferragamo dark grey flannel (courtesy of Holdfast!)
  • vintage blue-grey worsted
  • Aquascutum olive-brown worsted
2 x tweed suits:
  • Walker Slater MTM heavyweight blue/purple Dashing Tweeds SB 3-piece
  • Avon House midweight Moon grey barleycorn SB 3-piece
1 x Prada black velvet cord SB 2-piece
1 x Isaia lightweight blue and white cotton-linen SB 2-piece

I also have a set of Old Town heavyweight charcoal Harris Tweed separates (SB jacket, waistcoat, trousers) which can be worn as a casual workingman's suit, although I generally don't as the jacket is too big for me and I will be selling it next year.

Next up is probably going to be an OTR tan cord SB 2 or 3-piece casual (and separable) suit (classic professor stuff!) and an MTM nailhead navy blue 2-piece. I also have the fabric for the following bespoke possibilities: a fancy brown tweed 2-piece, a navy blue linen 2-piece and a blue cashmere herringbone 2-piece.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More of a sport coat guy, I am. Six suits, 20 sport coats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads