• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many suits do you own?

CTLION

Reaction score
I just purchased a new suit for my 40th birthday bringing my tally to 13. How may suits do you own?

I have several different suit makers as for colors and patterns:
2 - Navy
1 - Navy with pinstripes
1 - Blue Steel or as I would call it blue charcoal
1 - Charcoal with blue windowpane
1 - Lighter shade of Charcoal
1 - Light Gray
1 - Black with chalk pinstripes
1 - Black
1 - Khaki
1 - Olive/Tan
1 - Brown with small houndstooth pattern
1 Tux

Reaction score
I own five or six and honestly don't feel the need of having more for the moment.

They're all made by Aquascutum/Reiss/Tm Lewin/Tyrwhitt, all quite heavily altered by my tailor (as all my trousers and most of my shirts are! Sad world for skinny guys).

CTLION

Reaction score
Half of my suits were purchased in the last three months. I don't know if I have hit my limit, but I do wear a suit 5 days a week so it seemed a necessity. I am one who loves wearing a suit.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 solids in different shades of navy/blue.
5 solid charcoals
1 navy pinstripe
4 tuxedos

(You can never own enough navy suits)

CTLION

Reaction score

10 solids in different shades of navy/blue. 
5 solid charcoals 
1 navy pinstripe 
4 tuxedos

(You can never own enough navy suits) 

You can never own too many navy suits...but can you own too many tuxedos?

lwmarti

Reaction score
I just bought one more, bringing my total to 19. The latest addition was a bit of an impulse purchase - a blue oxford cloth suit from J. Crew, and was actually the first thing that I've bought from J. Crew in over 20 years. The idea of a suit of oxford cloth just sounded to interesting to pass on. And to my great surprise, it turned out to actually fit me perfectly and was well worth the $250 or so it cost (including tax and shipping).

That actually makes the sixth suit that I have that really counts as an impulse purchase. The others include three RRL suits that I picked up on business trips to NYC, a J. Press York Street casual cotton suit that I picked up at the YS store in NYC and a fairly expensive Zegna model that I bought at the Tyson's Corner Nieman Marcus basically to kiss up to a potential client when I was doing financial consulting.

When I was in my 20s I had sort of a mental list of the various suits that I wanted to have one day. I actually have all of them now, so I may actually never buy another suit again. So unless I see something really exceptional, I don't ever see going from 19 suits to 20 suits.

dimitrioup

Reaction score
Lets see

1Navy hopsack
Mid gray flannel
Black n white birdseye
Airforce blue flannel
Charcoal worsted 2
Gray worsted
Gray pow
Blue pow
Light gray fishbone
Gray pinstripes 2
Black worsted
Taupe worsted
Navy pinstripe
Brown pinstripe

Thats 16? I think

Plus 6-7 sport coats and odd trousers

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Twelve in active use - reduced as I no longer work 5 days a week.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those with 10 or more, do you have a bunch of year-round suits, or do you try for a more seasonal wardrobe?

CTLION

Reaction score
11 of my suits are warm to moderate weather suits as I now live in Florida. I kept one winter suit and gave my brother 6 of my heavier wool suits. I love living in the warmer climate. For instance on Tuesday I have a meeting in Miami and I am wearing a khaki suit with two toned Allen Edmonds Broad streets (walnut and bone). If I was still living in the Midwest I would question the outfit mid-summer let alone November. But down here its all good.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka