• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many Santoni lines?

mussel

Reaction score
The "fatte a mano" line I saw at their store are wonderful, beautiful finishing and shape, excellent craftmanship. I assume "fatte a mano" is the top of the line?

But some Santonis I saw posted on eBay are god awful ugly and some I saw at department stores are ok, nothing special, kind of blah.

So how many different levels of Santoni are there? And how about their construction?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tough call, here's an abbreviated posted (from top-of-the-line to bottom): - Santoni "Signature" or "Select": I really need to get confirmation on this one. Almost a completely handmade shoe based on my quick observations. Quite a bit of detailing and nice finishing, close to or on par with Kiton and Lattanzi at about 2/3rd the price. - Santoni "Fatte a Mano," Tan Sock: Priced around $800-1200. Lots of handwork, usually goodyear welted. The uppers are made from nice calfskin while the anitquing ranges from non-existent to superlative. Much cheaper in Europe according to Roy. - Santoni "Fatte a Man," Orange Sock: Around $600-800 US, can be had on sale in Europe for $200-250. Mostly Blake constructed, nice uppers, more fashion forward styling. I rank these similarly to mid-range Mantellassi which go for about $500. The price difference in the US can be attributed to the wider distribution of Santoni, and their slightly better finishing. - Santoni "Goodyear" : Standard range Santonis, but constructed with a goodyear welt. These can be found at Nordstrom's--their top of the line shoe. - Santoni : Written in horizontal script across the sock liner. Exclusively blake construction, clean looking shoe. Decent uppers. A tad better than similarly priced offerings from companies like Ferragamo and Magli. - Santoni "Nuvola" : These maybe exclusive to the US, but Nuvola is Santonis comfort line. AKA Rubber soles. They feel nice, but definitely are a cheaper cousin to the mainline, and a removed family member from the start of this list. - * Santoni Moccasins/Loafers: Another provence of the US market. A soft, pliable loafer that retails for around $300. Comfortable, no arch support, and probably designed to be disposable after 2-3 yers use.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great precis Norcal. Just a few minor additons:
Santoni's Limited Editions: Outrageously priced, top of the 'line' shoes... mostly Blake. Priced so high becaue they use a lot of exotics and weird finishing... Naturlaut has seen more than I have probably.

Santoni's Tan socked with serrated edge "fatte a mano" are mostly Norvogese, reverse welted, or Bentivegna.  Mostly hand made.

Below that is the orange socked "Fatte a mano" which is mostly blake.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to ask the same question. This is very helpful.

Santoni's Limited Editions: Outrageously priced, top of the 'line' shoes... mostly Blake.

I am curious why they'd use a lesser construction, Blake, instead of Goodyear in their most expensive line.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to ask the same question. Â This is very helpful.
Quote:
Santoni's Limited Editions: Outrageously priced, top of the 'line' shoes... mostly Blake.
I am curious why they'd use a lesser construction, Blake, instead of Goodyear in their most expensive line.
OH, some of them are norvogese... but most are blake lasted to get that extra special long snount..
confused.gif

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They can't use Goodyear to get that extra long snout?

mussel

Reaction score
- Santoni "Fatte a Mano," Tan Sock: Priced around $800-1200. Â Lots of handwork, usually goodyear welted. Â The uppers are made from nice calfskin while the anitquing ranges from non-existent to superlative. Â Much cheaper in Europe according to Roy. - Santoni "Fatte a Man," Orange Sock: Around $600-800 US, can be had on sale in Europe for $200-250. Â Mostly Blake constructed, nice uppers, more fashion forward styling. Â I rank these similarly to mid-range Mantellassi which go for about $500. Â The price difference in the US can be attributed to the wider distribution of Santoni, and their slightly better finishing. - Santoni "Goodyear" : Standard range Santonis, but constructed with a goodyear welt. These can be found at Nordstrom's--their top of the line shoe.
How can I tell Fatte a Mano Tan sock from Orange sock? Without me telling you the price can you tell which of the following is Tan sock or Orange sock or just regular "Goodyear"? They are all Goodyear welt with "Fatte a Mano" inscribed in the insole:
sa-bairdfs.jpg
sa-bishopfs.jpg
sa-townsendfs.jpg

jtw3036

Reaction score
They are all Goodyear, and all Tan sock (The inside lining is tan)

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, those are all 'tan' socked 'fatte a mano'. However, there is still a line above that, and the sock has serrated edges. Those are usually Novogese/Bentivegna constructed. Here is a 'orange' socked version (which are usually blake):
11146906_DSCF0005.jpg

jtw3036

Reaction score
However, there is still a line above that, and the sock has serrated edges. Those are usually Novogese/Bentivegna constructed. What would current retail be on these? Santoni

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
However, there is still a line above that, and the sock has serrated edges. Those are usually Novogese/Bentivegna constructed. What would current retail be on these? Santoni
Since it's Goodyear welt, I'd say around $800. The Tan socked Fatte a Mano with Norvegese welt I saw at the Madison Ave. store retails $1200-1295. The above 3 shoes are beautiful. I especially love the middle one, wholecut with medallion. Are all three made from the same last?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

jtw3036

Reaction score
The Tan socked Fatte a Mano with Norvegese welt I saw at the Madison Ave. store retails $1200-1295.
Would it be correct to assume that Bentivegna constructed models retail for more than $1295, and are therefore the most expensive Santoni Models? (Not including Ltd Edition)
Santoni3.jpg

Urban Warrior

Reaction score
Hard to tell from the photo but this pair of Fatte a Mano's I bought last year have the serrations JTW has posted about. I had never noticed them before, also tan socked. Any idea as to where they might fall in the Fatte a Mano line? I was told they were Bentivenga welted but I don't really know how to tell lol... Paid $249 for them back when Santoni had a "true" sample sale and not a sham... Santoni's salesman said they cost about $1,200 normally but I have to learn they are not known for being honest
smile.gif
Interesting thread I might add...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads